gravelroads and history

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iep_kruger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
just an idea and rather just testing to see wether anyone else thinks the effort is worth its salt...

my interest become alerted:

sharkza thread regarding the vow of blood river

plotti and his jameson raid boys

request from kilroy and ideas from gunda gunda etc...

why dont we do research around a bike ride plan and try to entail the history into the ride..

or vice versa,,,

start a research thread around some battle or siege wether from the anglo-boer or other war ...

i have some books around lotsa history (not that im a buff but thats exactly my point,,,you will be when you read about it)

but frinstance,,,,

did you know the jameson raid was a huge disaster and actually lasted 3 days over new years eve,,,but somehow it had an impact on sa history,,,imagine following they tracks

did you know that a war was started when the british stopped a boer in his cart on the way to bronkhorstspruit,,,they demanded  tax money and when he didnt comply they took his horse,,,so the boer went to the nearby farmers,,,made a posse and got his horse back,farking up a few british in the process,,thus starting the second anglo boere war

from a pta point of view the march to pta by the british was done by sneaking between the two boere forts somewhere between sesmyl spruit and irene and thus walking straight into pta and church square and just dropped the vierkleur and replaced with the union jack,,,no resistance

did you know that from all the boers that volunteered for the war effort actually didnt go, but according to their wives and children they were there,,,meanwhile the okes were having a lekka hunting jol,,,,some boere refused to work with their generals and just parked at the military camp,,,some sent their black folk,,,,but thank goodness there were a lot of bittereinders that fought through the whole war

do you know where names like broederstroom,marabastad and robertsheights came from

from natal we obviously have huge history around rourkesdrift, spioenkop, majuba, etc

the history around cape town must be great,,,and then there are vrystaat, northern cape, nort west, etc

on google earth they actually show you the coordinates of the battles,,,,so we know where to go ,,,lets just fill up on history and then make trip around it

am i the only one interested,,,be frank and honest in your criticism or motivation to go ahead

tell me im wasting my time???? or support me???

this by the way isnt just my effort,,,i expect all the wd's to contribute,,,the particular site/heading/topic isnt neccesary a chat site,,,it contains basic info contributed by all,,all with a biker riders point of view