Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cullinan - 12th Feb  (Read 1482 times)

shark_za

Cullinan - 12th Feb
« on: February 12, 2006, 09:14:34 pm »
The Gauteng bunch who didnt make the Vaal dam this morning went on a little ride out in the NE of Pretoria.
We had a good turnout and the group ended up being 7 bikes with two riders bringing along pillions. Good to see some new guys, welcome thedude and way to go bla-bla for bringing along a BMW contingent.

We met at the garage as planned and decided to head out through Mamelodi towards Roodeplaat dam. Conditions were perfect, the road had little dust after the rains without any real tricky areas.

The scenery

Typical road

The group taking a break

The ride took us past an interesting 4x4 track that we stopped and played a little in.
No pics cos I was busy riding and the camera was in the rucksack.
I should get a tank bag to keep it more handy.
At one stage a warthog was crossing the road and got a fright when 7 dual sports came roaring along, it quickly made a dive for the bushes, shame right into a fence.  Better fate than the poor bird who decided to fly into my spokes :(
So apart from harrasing the local wildlife, there were no real incidents on the trip.

You get the idea of the fun that could be had out in this

We rode to Cullinan and had a few drinks before setting out again, Bla-bla did a good job riding sweeper.

Bla Bla

Parking outside the restuarant

The ride was a good balance of sand and tar and I think everyone enjoyed the ride. Journeyman nearly took out a cyclist, and the only fall was not confirmed as it happened far away at the other side of the 4x4 track. ;o)

Gotta have a scenic shot with a bike, and what about just a bike.

Thanks everyone, it was fun and we must turn left at the wallmanstal road next time ;o), see how far that goes. (in the army I recall it going way past pienaarsrivier...

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 09:30:59 pm »
jislaaik, all the okes out riding this weekend up there  :)  :)  :)
did only you go on the track shark?

shark_za

Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 09:38:36 pm »
Not at all, the Dakars and 1150 were playing right alongside me.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 08:53:42 am »
Skark.Thanks for the pics and once again taking the lead.
Bla-Bla, thank you for once again doing the sweeper work.
Much appreciated both of you.

Very nice ride with wide/hard dirt. It was the fastest I went on dirt for extended periods with sometimes hitting 140km/p on the dirt. 8)

Yeah. I had my customary "moments" as allways! :oops:

Moment 1

After Cullinan we hit a dirt road with some mud pathes this time. Having gone bonkers speedwise on the other roads, I hit this patch also with a bit of speed. No problem, not the serious stuff as in Canal/Klip. But at this one section, a large clump of dried mud( Probably from a passing truck/bakkie) lay in the road. I did the "target fixation" error and hit the clump spot on (3 meters of road either side of the clump I could have used :oops: ) Bike did the throw around thing but manged to stay on. Momentum and power at hand saved me.

Moment 2

Just after Moment 1, I hit another patch of mud with some tracks laid by bakkie/truck. I got into this one track and did not hold the line. Tried getting out of it and the bike just said "hoezit! and flung me over the rut in the opposite direction I wanted to go! :shock:  Now this happened on a curve towards the left and I was going to the right towards bushes and oncoming cyclist. He was pushing the bike through the mud.

This time I did not focus on the cyclist but rather on the line I must take to avoid going for an unplanned bush excursion. (Lesson well learned)

I managed to keep on track with just enough power and missed the cyclist by mere centimeters! :shock: Benoude boude!

Anyway. That's how I remembered it. Bla was behind me and saw every little detail. :oops:  :lol:

4 x 4 Track

At the 4x4 track I was a bit wary of (sand and no knobblies). Shark made it look easy. Two other Dakkie riders also went (A few almost there) but made it look easy, Bla-Bla also had no problem, 1150 Adv I did not see but he had a fall. Myself pussyfooted around the easier sections and then got stuck trying to go over a smallish ramp. :oops:  Not enough momentum because 2 meters in front of this ramp, there is a mud/water pool that you must go through first) In the end I turned around.

This track was the final confirmation I needed that I must fit knobblies on my bike.

All in all a great run (188 km on my odo).

Thank to everone involved!
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 09:53:18 am »
Thanks everyone, it was a good run as always. Nice company, good to see new faces joining.

Ja, I had a big lag at JM's "moment" with the pedestrain pushing his bicycle  :D  :D  :D Words can't describe the actions / movements :D  :D  :D

PS: My topbox is fixed!  The box was fully extended, and the top part rattled off from the bottom part. No serious damage, I could fix it myself. :wink:

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 11:37:46 am »
I could spend all day on that 4x4 track. Great report - thanks for posting!
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 12:56:27 pm »
So who was on the ADV BLA and who was the mistery guest you eluded to earlier?
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 04:01:59 pm »
Nice ride out guys, have been inside at Roodeplaat Dam riding around there on my GS between the wild. Was lekke :lol:

ATGATT as usual......

It was like 6:30 in the morning just cruising around in the park :wink:

Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 04:35:49 pm »
Nice to see you boyz riding. Lekker sous. We must seriously have a North meets South offroad meet, could only be seriously fun.

JM, on that note about tyres and sand, I have had most success with a smooth DS tyre as opposed to a knobbly, and thats been tested and proven on 3 bikes - Dakar, 1150 Adv and 1200. In fact, my mate who is very capable, changes his wheels on the 1200 when it comes to sand riding back to Tourances for the sand excursions....

Mav, thats cool man. Yesterday we got passed and then we joined two riders going fast. One on a SRAD superbike thing, the other guy on a Tiger. The Tiger drew my attention. The rider had HUSHPUPPIES on, that resembled a stokie on his feet. And we were all travelling at 160 km/h, on tar, and through the twisties at 140 plus... dom was nooit so dom nie
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline mango

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:01:11 pm »
That 4x4 track looks like fun...Could be a useful
training ground for me, or is it way more difficult that
it looks?  :?

shark_za

Cullinan - 12th Feb
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 09:16:34 pm »
Well a few hills like you guys were riding up the other day, just with big holes where 4x4's have gotten stuck and been dug out, soft sand in the dips, mud puddles in the run ups.
A little more difficult than it looks  :wink: