Last Business Trip - Day 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clockwork Orange

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Day 3 saw me heading south towards Kenhardt on dirt. Very fast gravel with the odd little surprise when you least exoect it. I have to admit I found this leg of the journey a bit boring.

On just about every pylon you will find these massive Weaver nests.

From Kenhardt it was more of the same dirt to Marty Dale. Now it was back on tar and my route was through Prieska, Britstown and De Aar through to Richmond.

Now the fun began!!! :lol: The next leg of my trip took me along the most amazing landscape. I passed through numerous valleys and many of the drifts were flowing.

The 4th and final day coming to you soon.

I came across this one puddle rather suddenly as I came over a rise. I was doing over 100Km/h and there was no time to slow down. The puddle is about 3-4m long and pretty deep. I stood up and tried to wheelie over it. On the loose gravel at that speed I could not lift the front wheel much. the front pretty much floated over the surface and it felt totally controlled. I was drenched and grinning and went back and did it 3 more times :D

The road is winding and undulating and since the area has received some good rain the streams and rivers were flowing beautifully.

I reached my days destination as the sun was about to set. It is an amazing little town called Niew Bethesda. There are no tar roads no banks and no petrol stations/pumps. Its a stunning little place with loads of character.

I stayed at a little guest house called Outsiders which was magnificent. My problem was the following however. In the evening there is only one restuarant open which ion this specific evening was closed as the owners chose to head off to Graaf Reinet for the evening. I was then told that a lady in the township served "lekker boerekos" to tourists. A phone call later and it was confirmed that she would prepare a meal for me. I took a ride to Antie Evelyn se Eet Plek which is a colourful little tin shack home. She started the "eatery" on R20.00 about 3 years ago. It is now a booming little business and she showed me press clippings and magazine articles praising her venture. Well done Tannie Evelyn!. Let me tell you that the meal was delish!

If you ever decide to visit this quaint village the Owl House museum is a must see. I wont go into too much detail here but it really was fascinating