One night stand - Memel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmad

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
A couple of us were in need of a bit of an outride, so a one night stand was in order. Destination Memel  :biggrin:

Misty, eSKaPe, Pistol, Kuruman, RTR and myself set out early Saturday morning in search of some gravel roads heading towards Memel.
Not 20km out of town, disaster struck for RTR  :eek: In mid flight, his bike cut out, with the speedo and rev counter frozen. The bike was not interested in going anywhere!
I turned back to see if i could assist him while the others headed out towards Heidelberg for breakfast and wait on us.

Unfortunately the bikes was stuffed ::) BMW on Call arranged for the AA to come and collect the bike and rider, while i headed out to join the rest of the group.
After hieldeberg we left the main road and set out on what started as very nice winding dirt road.  ;D

After a short while, the gps said go right, but there was no road so we follwed the path in front of us. It was not long when we found oursleves riding the most amazing twee spoor track through someones farm. WE cruised through the meilie fields, veld and so on, passing through various gates until we got to a point were we had no more pathway to follow:

P1030183.jpg

The Freestate is dry!
P1030185.jpg

P1030187.jpg

Misty:
P1030189.jpg

We evntually made our way to a farm house in the distance as we knew there will be a road there, but alas we could not get to it due to the fences and gates.
eSKaPe and i then apporach the lady at the farmhouse (who had been watching us riding around n her farm), told her we were lost and was looking for the nearest road. She gladly helped us out and we were back on track, although about 2 hours behind schedule  :biggrin: But what a nice adventure it was  :ricky:

Back on track:
P1030194.jpg

A bit further don the road we found a pup, big time blue bull fans here :biggrin:
P1030199.jpg

P1030197.jpg

P1030198.jpg

Misty auditioning for an evening job  >:D
P1030196.jpg

After a refreshing break we headed out towards Memel via Villiers, Cornelia, Vrede and then finally to our destination.
Church in Cornelia:
P1030201.jpg

open spaces:
P1030203.jpg

Willow tree break:
P1030207.jpg

more open spaces - really beautiful out here:
P1030209.jpg

LOcal houses:
P1030211.jpg

P1030212.jpg

We hit Memel at about 3pm, whwre Kuruman, Pistol and Misty decided to call it a day while eSKaPe and i  deceide dto head out and go explore the tunnel near Volksrust.
We headed out on tar towards Newscastle going down Botha's pass and onto a dirt road towards the N11. What awesome roads with beautiful twisties and turns. Truely DS riding at it's best.  :ricky:

I had forgotten how nteresting the tunnel was, about 400m long, dark, wet and slippery in the beginning
P1030216.jpg

End of the tunnel
P1030218.jpg

We headed back to Memel along the same route and arrived with a couple of minutes to spare before the game began :biggrin:

Sunday morning was cold and windy.
We headed out once again in serch of some good gravel roads.
P1030221.jpg

Some folk forgot to refuel in Memel, so we headed for Volksrust for petrol and Hansa for Pistol  :mwink:
Outside of Volksrust, we joined up on the railway service roads, which clearly had not been used for some time. We cam upon a copule of obstacles, one of wehich we needed to build up the road a bit to get the bikes through. All went well until i passed the obstacle and my bike felt tired, so it took a quick nap  :biggrin:

P1030222.jpg

P1030224.jpg

P1030228.jpg

P1030231.jpg

P1030232.jpg

P1030233.jpg

Another obstacle, this time we had a small causulty where the bike came off second best, Misty walked away smiling  :thumleft:

P1030235.jpg

P1030237.jpg

We followed the railway lines further and then joined on the dirt roads again all the way to Standerton
P1030239.jpg

Another pit stop, but this time he sold no beer  :mad:
P1030240.jpg

From Standerton we headed home all the way on tar, not very exciting  :patch:

All in all, it was a wonderful two days of riding with a mixed bag of riding. We had some technical offroad patches, marble type gravel, smooth gravel, plain straight road tar and some exciting tar twisties.
Good bunch to ride with and everyone home in one piece. A couple of small injuries to bikes, but nothing serious.
Thanks guys and gal for very nice weekend, looking forward to the next one

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Some stats:
P1030241.jpg