Chicco 0 - Mfolozi river 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicco

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ok, the plan was to do gravel roads but we ended up playing for 2 hours in the Mfolozi river bed. We started on gravel just outside Richard Bay and took my normal to work gravel road past Mpoza, Kwambonambi and Teza. We met up with some guys on plastic bikes and decided to test the water of the Mfolozi just past the Protea hotel next to the N2. The river was very low, the deepest point maybe2 feet, with nice hard underfoot conditions, the downside was the “slik” huge patches of slippery olive green slime. The best was to ride on the dry sand all along the river bed but at some places there were no other option as to hit it and go through. There were one or 2 minor spills but nothing to serious. The sand riding was awesome, some places I thought “wow”, this must be like doing the Dakar, I  was just starting to think, what is all this fuss about sand? The next moment I was flying through the air, making a complete summersault, landing flat on my back, I tried to open my eyes but my helmet was completely covered in sand. I stood up, wobbled around a bit, everything was double, had double vision for about 10 seconds. By the time the other riders stopped I was OK, trying to get most of the sand out of my face and mouth.  The slime caught me out, there was a channel across the river and was filled with slime, sand brow over it so it was impossible to see, I was doing about 65 when I hit it, the bike stopped dead, I went over, the rest is history. Nothing broken luckily, on me or the bike. 

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_1656.JPG
    Copy of IMG_1656.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 454
  • Copy of IMG_1658.JPG
    Copy of IMG_1658.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 456
  • Copy of IMG_1659.JPG
    Copy of IMG_1659.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 449
  • Copy of IMG_1664.JPG
    Copy of IMG_1664.JPG