Solo down in the dumps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williaby

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
After seeing the ride report on the Maraisburg mine dumps I decided to do a bit of scouting at the mine dumps on the outskirts of Benoni to see if I they were rideable. I had heard that the MX guys, quads and 4x4s used to frequent them but wanted to see if a dual sport could handle there.

What was supposed to be a quick reccy turned into 4hrs of fun. What I found is the most awesome place to mess around, practise soft sand / dune type riding with a few jumps thrown in too. The sand is very soft like beach sand so if your bike falls there is no damage at all. Also because you know this you are much more confident and what I came to realise is that confidence is everything with the sand. If you are tentative it will eat you up.

After a short while I was trying power slides and bombing up some of the smaller dunes.

The only downside here is that it was a bit dusty and there were quite a few quads, MX bikes, 4x4s and even some sandboarders. I was the only dual sport there.

I had an absolute blast and have attached a few pics of the ride.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 330
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 334