The moral (or is it legal?) question of not paying for parking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When on your bike, should you pay for using a commercial parking garage?

• Total voters

oo7

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Up until now I have always been, when on the bike,  trying to "slip" in and out of parking garages. Normally it is quite easy (yes, even with da pig) to just wiggle my way in and out past the booms with no trouble.  Partly because its difficult to hold on to the card withouth crumbling it into a little ball in your throttle hand and partly of course because I just then don't pay for parking.

There have also been the odd occassion where I just hugged a cage and went through behind it when the boom was up for them. >:D

But recently I have been wondering - is it just me that is prone to such immoral and illegal behaviour? Illegal in the sense that you are making use of someone else's facilities without paying. Or have someone else also treaded around in this slightly grey area?  ???

I would assume that a contract comes into existence between yourself and the parking garage owner/operator with the terms basically that of you agreeing to pay for making use of his parking garage bays and he agreeing to provide you with such bay against your remuneration, so if one does not pay you will in fact be in breach of such agreement or could even be considered to be trespassing?

However, to cloud my (moral) judgement even further, if one slips in but then NOT make use of any designated parking area by parking the beast in/on an area that is not designated for a cage (or anything else for that matter), is it "less" illegal/immoral? Or should I just be shot in any event?   :-\

Would like to hear your opinion on this.