PAW - 3 Calendar girls attending the Endangered Wildlife Trust dinner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Red

Misty, Hel-Bent and I attended the dinner I posted about a while ago.  The presentation before the dinner was about the 2009 Cheetah and Wilddog Census in Kruger National Park.

I did not bother to make notes about the cheetah numbers, but found the stats regarding the wild dogs shocking.  The census was done by academics and the methodology Harriet Davies-Mostert (the presenter and group leader) presented to us, is as far as I am able to say, as close as you can get. 

They asked the public to submit phtographs of wild dogs and they received 700+ entries.  Using these photographs they were able to identify around 140 individuals in the Kruger operating in 19 packs.  The majority of the dogs are in the southern side of the park.

If you want to read more about the EWT Carnivore Conservation Group, have a look at their website(https://www.ewt.org.za/workgroups_overview.aspx?group=carnivore&page=overview).  They are really doing a very professional job.

Misty and I had a chat with Harriet after the talk and she gave us some contact details of other people we can network with.  Harriet knows Robin Lines very well, and is aware of the Etosha re-introduction project.

I have shamelessly stolen this photograph from the EWT website.

Attachments

• Kruger wilddogs.jpg
    Kruger wilddogs.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 444