Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 560 kays of Cape Riding: 12 Feb 06  (Read 2438 times)

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
560 kays of Cape Riding: 12 Feb 06
« on: February 13, 2006, 12:42:31 pm »
So the organiser of last weekends GS meeting, Adriaan called Leon up (newest member here and my biz partner and maatjie) to go and recce a route for the GS group this coming  weekend. I invited myself (I have never been told I am pushy  :roll: ) and secured a place on the ride.

I was to meet up with Leon who is a BMW training instructor, at 620am on the highway. Now the previous day, I had for the first time suffered an almost black out from dehydration after spending a good 4-5 hrs with the boyz and girlz in 34degree heat. I am unfit, fat, unused to the bike, and still have me ankle wrapped up like a baby. There ya go. So my first words in reply to Leons greeting was - ek voel nie goed nie. It was a lekker fog to ride in that early in the morning and we quickly found ourselves in Wellington.

I met Adriaan who seems to be a nice chap, and introductions were made. He then informed us that his riding buddy who also rides a KTM was going to come with. Cool! Its split down the middle, half German, half Austrian.  8)

We set off at a pace up the Bainskloof Pass that I am just not ready for. Leon on his TKC's outstripped us all, and particularly me, and I only caught them on top where they were waiting for me.  :D  I then tried to pull myself towards myself (had by now drunk 2 energades in 1hr to replace electrolytes and stuff) and tried to keep pace with them down BainsKloof to Tweede Tol. This I managed to do, at a pace that was not comfortable for me at all, and I even managed to boil my back brakes.

That shows you how crap I was riding. Suffice to say the rest of the guys were brilliant and could have left me anytime they wanted to. I nearly had a  :evil:  :oops:  :evil:  moment when my handlebars were just about ripped out of my hands as I started the dirt section at 90 kh/h as I went through some corrugations and potholes that my Dakar would have handled sweetly. Damn KTM. Leon who rode next to me at a higher speed said my suspension was "kus" because of the way it was reacting over the road. It wasnt easy, and I didnt feel confident at all.

Heres some pics

and - oh - my KTM modded seat was perfect, I like the harder rear end of the seat and the softer are where I normally sit to adjust. But - dont - ever think of wearing rugby shorts underneath without some sort of scants, I think I rubbed something raw in there... :oops:

This route included some slower technical stuff which I relish and the rest was high speed dirt and tar riding. The Little Karoo is a blerry hot place for those who dont know..

very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline droffarc

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 01:00:26 pm »
You didn't need to go that FAR to get hot and dusty!

looks like an interesting route. :wink:
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 01:05:34 pm »
hehe Droff, it was more the challenge of riding an unknown road, inclusive of corners of speeds from 100 kays to 140 kays an hour. On a straighter road, I took her up to 170 odd to see if she was stable -  she was.

We didnt take pics of anything technical cos we were too busy which always sucks for an after report. Suffice to say that the bikes got airborne a few times! We didnt stop much cos of the heat (I drank 6 litres of fluids yesterday  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: ) and of course you will miss the best pics.

Offline Lootch67

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 01:21:55 pm »
The GF (now wife) and I once did a similar trip though it was with a BMW K75 so we had to stick to the tar. Don't know how hot it was exactly but the forecast for Cape Town that day was 38. When we stopped at Ceres we went straight to the bottle store and had a couple of drinks whilst sat in their cooler. Remeber riding with my left arm out to channel some windflow behind the fairing. Got stuck in Montague as we wanted to watch the first half of the rugby - SA was playing Australia in the Worl Cup, and we ended staying for the whole match. Unfortunately it was the game where Larkham kicked that last minute drop goal, so it was a bit disappointing... The next day I had had to outrun a cop in a car but that's a story for another day.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 01:37:58 pm »
Bliksem LITO

Those are some damn fine pics you have there..... I really am in awe of the mountains in the background and the winding road pic....

Looks like some fun riding you had there.

Nice report.

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 03:46:43 pm »
Cool report & pics LITO. I agree, sometimes it is better to go ride on unfamiliar roads - it helps to sharpen you, as you don't know what is around the corner.

What bike does Leon ride? The 1200?

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 03:53:13 pm »
Ag nee man LITO, again you post all these lekker pics to make us jealous this side :) Maybe it's better if I did not live there as popping out to buy some bread and milk could turn out in a divorce :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 03:59:05 pm »
Thanks Boyz, I dont know if you guys remember what its like to ride in 35deg plus heat, cos you are always being rained on  :P  :P  :P

Man it was tough. Anyway, Leon rides the 1150ADv, the one at a crazy angle parked next to the 1200. It was weird sand, the top layer was normal like - almost as a crust - , but the bottom was so soft it was unreal.

Thanks for the compliments, it was a good day

Kev

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 08:34:28 pm »
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"
That shows you how crap I was riding. Suffice to say the rest of the guys were brilliant and could have left me anytime they wanted to. I nearly had a    moment when my handlebars were just about ripped out of my hands as I started the dirt section at 90 kh/h as I went through some corrugations and potholes that my Dakar would have handled sweetly. Damn KTM. Leon who rode next to me at a higher speed said my suspension was "kus" because of the way it was reacting over the road. It wasnt easy, and I didnt feel confident at all.

Damn LITO! I was kneiping boude reading this.  :shock:

My KTM (250 2 stroke) had shitty front suspention. Please tell me things have improved over the last 20 years? Do you think you have the preload adjusted wrongly? Maybe the heat could make the oil more viscous, so you lose damping? Sure the WP are way better than the stock suspension on a Dakar?  

Good on you you for pushing your personal envolope. That takes balls. And it gets harder the older we get. Nice one!  :wink:

Kev.

Offline mango

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 09:08:20 pm »
Damn nice looking area for riding, but I think perhaps in Autumn
may be a good idea....

Lekker pics LITO..... you must've been knackered

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 10:18:02 pm »
GR8 report LITO. How come we didn't get to see some of these roads when we were down?? Just kidding, time was short I know

NEXT TIME!!!
KTM 1190 ADV R

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 08:02:17 am »
Hey Guys and Mango, thanks man.

I must say that the KTM handled the best  IMO in the slower technical stuff, it was easy for me to handle that sucker through the 10-40km/h stuff, and I caught up to Leon very easily, even though he left ahead of me by a margin. Hes a great rider btw, I have mucho respect for his skills.

But on the faster stuff, I was crapping myself almost all the time. Kev, to answer your questions mate, White Power suspension on the KTM is of the worlds best, and my experience is extremely frustrating to me

a) I have 4 dents in the front rim Kev, which I am sure is contributing.
b) I have been advised to check out steering bearings which to my mind are smooth as silk still. I need to drop the races and check it out.
c) I have the preload, rebound and compression settings (aint THAT neat??!!!) set on sports. They advise "comfort" setttings for rocks and stuff, and sport settings for sand. I just set em on their hardest and left them there, because I was sure I was going to be doing ramps and jumps when I set out on my first ride which turned out to be an accident  :D
d) So yesterday I set the rebound onto comfort and will test each setting on its own with the others at previous settings to see what will improve.
e) I might need a shock rebuild, which can be done as these are quality pieces of equipment
f) I know that the boyz in the States get the forks revalved to have em harder, costs them $300 to have it done. I wouldnt mind having mine done too, cos I feel that the front shock is too soft and rear spring is way too hard. Of course, I didnt feel like that when we went over a large dip thing at speed, and I believe Leons bashie hit a stone and bottomed out, and mine just absorbed it ever so plushly.

So I dunno. But one thing I will tell ya, is that I am going to now learn to scrape the pegs on my damn bike cos I am highly embarrassed that I could be left behind so badly on the tar. I feel like a beginner all over again. :D  (which I AM of course!!!!)

Offline funacide

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 08:11:40 am »
LITO

One thing I learned very early on in my biking experience, is to always (and i mean ALWAYS) ride within your comfort zone. It does not help you push yourself to the limits to keep up with someone and put it down. Imagine how embarrasing that would be.
KTM 1190 ADV R

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 08:30:42 am »
hehe Hey Fun,

Absolutely. However, if I stuck to that rule, I wouldnt have gained the confidence to ride like I do now and I have a ways to go. I will only be able to say that I can handle a bike when I can ride at least as well as someone like Jan Du Toit.

Talking about that, I absolutely shat myself when I went up a minor hill in the beginning of my riding which was 31Dec2004. I met Leon somehow in the bush, and he and his lady took me through the forest of Grabouw. I was so amazed by what he and his lady could do on that big bike that I thought, wtf, I must be a juggelass not being able to do that on my small pikkie bike, the Dakar. So I made myself do it, even though my heart was in my mouth.

Hell, first time I dropped the bike was on a dirt road, doing a turnaround, in front of them. This was on the 2nd day of owning the bike. They took a pic. Here it is:

I fell off, doing a simple turnaround. I was sitting too.  :oops:  :P  :P  :P

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 08:36:01 am »
i hope i am not talking out of turn here ...
i just feel if we stay in the comfort zone, we will never improve our skills.
its now 3 times i have gone and done something i would never have believed possible - but only coz of encouragement and seeing that "more, further, higher, steeper, deeper" is possible.

granted, i wont go hell for leather on bainskloof just to keep up with others, but i believe its important to push oneself (or as in my case - be pushed) gradually further and further...
and as in my case - it definately worked.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 08:43:25 am »
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"
hehe Hey Fun,

Absolutely. However, if I stuck to that rule, I wouldnt have gained the confidence to ride like I do now and I have a ways to go.

Hell, first time I dropped the bike was on a dirt road, doing a turnaround, in front of them. This was on the 2nd day of owning the bike. They took a pic. Here it is:

I fell off, doing a simple turnaround. I was sitting too.  :oops:  :P  :P  :P

Hehehe. I know that feeling! Falling off from a walk pace/complete standstill. But hey. We got to get out there and experience everything. Even pushing it beyound the comfort zone. Only way to take a step upwards.

I did it on Sunday and survived. (luck and some skills learned over the past few months)

Well done Lito! Awesome report. Unknown territory the first time really pumps the adrenaline and heart rate! :wink:
He who angers you, controls you.

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 08:59:47 am »
Quote from: "macduff"
i hope i am not talking out of turn here ...

mate, I personally dont think so. I think often we get into a rut of comfort and forget whats possible out of that envelope. A whole world of new stuff! I personally pushed myself down Bainskloof  through those twisties at hectic speeds (crikey, boiled my 300degC brake fluid - which is a sign of bad riding), so that I could learn that hte bike cold handle it. In fact, I chanted that to myself when my heart was in my mouth through the corners and I decided not to slow down and suddenly I was keeping up easier. "The bike can do it" - "The Bike can do it" "the bike can do it"

SHoweee. Mac, your big wheelie up that wall was so cool dude, I ran that video through my mind - yours and Sots, and I realised that gravity is a big china of ours, and we can actually do crazier sh1t than what we think. You did so great. And so did your bike!

Offline funacide

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 02:12:42 pm »
You guys are getting me all wrong. I did not say to never try new things that are not challenging, but when riding and you are feeling totally out of control, best to pull back a bit. I have fallen many times trying new thins, nothing wrong with that. But pushing it way past your abilities when you know you need more experience is just not wise....

If we all never tried new things we would never go off-rod...!!!!

:)  :)  :)
KTM 1190 ADV R

shark_za

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 02:15:36 pm »
If everything feels under control, you arent going fast enough.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 02:30:18 pm »
Quote from: "funacide"
You guys are getting me all wrong. I did not say to never try new things that are not challenging, but when riding and you are feeling totally out of control, best to pull back a bit. I have fallen many times trying new thins, nothing wrong with that. But pushing it way past your abilities when you know you need more experience is just not wise....

If we all never tried new things we would never go off-rod...!!!!

:)  :)  :)

Got you first time Fun. :wink: I know what you meant. Don't try and imitate/equal the more experienced riders if you know it is way out of your current  capabilities. Just looking for shite that way.
He who angers you, controls you.