560 kays of Cape Riding: 12 Feb 06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the organiser of last weekends GS meeting, Adriaan called Leon up (newest member here and my biz partner and maatjie) to go and recce a route for the GS group this coming weekend. I invited myself (I have never been told I am pushy :roll: ) and secured a place on the ride.

I was to meet up with Leon who is a BMW training instructor, at 620am on the highway. Now the previous day, I had for the first time suffered an almost black out from dehydration after spending a good 4-5 hrs with the boyz and girlz in 34degree heat. I am unfit, fat, unused to the bike, and still have me ankle wrapped up like a baby. There ya go. So my first words in reply to Leons greeting was - ek voel nie goed nie. It was a lekker fog to ride in that early in the morning and we quickly found ourselves in Wellington.

I met Adriaan who seems to be a nice chap, and introductions were made. He then informed us that his riding buddy who also rides a KTM was going to come with. Cool! Its split down the middle, half German, half Austrian. 8)

We set off at a pace up the Bainskloof Pass that I am just not ready for. Leon on his TKC's outstripped us all, and particularly me, and I only caught them on top where they were waiting for me. :D I then tried to pull myself towards myself (had by now drunk 2 energades in 1hr to replace electrolytes and stuff) and tried to keep pace with them down BainsKloof to Tweede Tol. This I managed to do, at a pace that was not comfortable for me at all, and I even managed to boil my back brakes.

That shows you how crap I was riding. Suffice to say the rest of the guys were brilliant and could have left me anytime they wanted to. I nearly had a :evil: :oops: :evil: moment when my handlebars were just about ripped out of my hands as I started the dirt section at 90 kh/h as I went through some corrugations and potholes that my Dakar would have handled sweetly. Damn KTM. Leon who rode next to me at a higher speed said my suspension was "kus" because of the way it was reacting over the road. It wasnt easy, and I didnt feel confident at all.

Heres some pics

and - oh - my KTM modded seat was perfect, I like the harder rear end of the seat and the softer are where I normally sit to adjust. But - dont - ever think of wearing rugby shorts underneath without some sort of scants, I think I rubbed something raw in there... :oops:

This route included some slower technical stuff which I relish and the rest was high speed dirt and tar riding. The Little Karoo is a blerry hot place for those who dont know..

56190313-L.jpg

56189877-L.jpg

56189879-L.jpg

56189880-L.jpg

56189881-L.jpg

56189886-L.jpg

56189887-L.jpg

56189889-L.jpg

56189890-L.jpg

56189891-L.jpg

56189893-L.jpg