Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Heidi's are dangerous...  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Swanniebraai

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • BLESSED!!
    • SwannieBraai WORSBRAAI
Re: Heidi's are dangerous...
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 05:54:49 pm »
Ja jys heelemal reg BD, die man by BMW wou nie eers my bike vir 'n test drive vat met die Heidis nie, se hy trust hulle nie, maar dit is so, ek vergeet dat 200 is nie die spoed vir hulle nie, al ry die manne hier en daar so vinnig!

So BTW wat dink julle van die nuwe Anakee 2 tyres, hou blykbaar heelwat langer?
May the WORS be WITH you!

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 08:45:29 pm »
Ja jys heelemal reg BD, die man by BMW wou nie eers my bike vir 'n test drive vat met die Heidis nie, se hy trust hulle nie, maar dit is so, ek vergeet dat 200 is nie die spoed vir hulle nie, al ry die manne hier en daar so vinnig!

So BTW wat dink julle van die nuwe Anakee 2 tyres, hou blykbaar heelwat langer?

Also note that the ADV's that come out with TKC80's as standard as well as the HP2's with Karoos as standard both have a sticker in the middle of the handlebar that warns not to exceed 160kph on that rubber ...  :ricky:

Have not used the Anakee 2 but as they say 'the proof is in the pudding' ... or the riding in this case. As I have said the Anakee is a superb tyre - even quite capable on gravel but needs the pressure reduced to open up the trad and footprint. Shite in mud - had one become a ware slick! heeltemaal useless.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Adventure MX

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2009, 08:37:03 am »
When bringing in new products it is easy to undercut other prices, that is not rocket science. 

Maybe somebody could perhaps mention what margins are being used to get the tyres sold.  Should be interesting! :deal:

Offline Metaljockey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Dodgy S.O.B.
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2009, 08:58:49 am »
Help?

My GSA used to do 210 easily, however I think that as from when I fitted  the 140 Heidi, it battles to get 200, is that due to the higher profile? The people at BMW dyna'd the beast and showed me the graphs compared to a GS with a Anakee on, you couldsee  the difference. Is there that  much diff in circumference, I didnt bother to check.?

My GPS speed is 138 and then the clock shows 140. ??

Willem, first up, do not expect your clock and the GPS to agree. As a general rule, almost all speedo's over read.

Second, you cannot compare a dyna of two different bikes and make a judgment on the tyres based thereon. The bikes will not necessarily be the same.

Third, I find it most interesting that your top speed decreased. It would need some testing but I would not be surprised if the knobblies do bring down the top speed. Remember, the Heidi's have very long knobs or deep grooves. At 200kph you have massive wind drag and your bike is transferring the full power and torque of that 1200 motor onto these knobs. There will certainly be serious deforming happening on those knobs and that takes energy. Then we are not even taking into account slippage that is quite likely with such a malleable tyre surface. With a road tyre, the deforming will be a lot less leaving that energy to be transferred into forward motion.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 09:00:17 am by Metaljockey »

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2009, 09:01:54 am »
Willem dont worry about your speed,asks Manic if it could do 200 then like him try for 210 and keep it there >:D :pot:,it hasnt got a heart its a piece of iron....wys hom wies baas...... :mwink: :mwink: :biggrin:
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2009, 05:09:16 pm »
When bringing in new products it is easy to undercut other prices, that is not rocket science. 

Maybe somebody could perhaps mention what margins are being used to get the tyres sold.  Should be interesting! :deal:

Maybe you could ask a big company like Continental to divulge the same information - I am sure they would oblige  :biggrin: Actually this is of no consequence to me or other users - to vendors yes but to the rest of us 'cash is king' mate! Oh and do not be surprised if the price of TKC's start decreasing ... well that would be if Conti give a stuff and I would not be surprised if they do!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:10:34 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2009, 09:43:18 pm »
Heidi's are okey for speeds up to 160 kmh. If you want to go faster  please refer to another bike , preferably a R1 Yamaha or a ZZ ZX wtf  KawaSuki.
If you want to do 200kmh on your bike on the roads we all know today , please do not ride a GS1200 , they are to slow for your standards . Much rather buy a road bike like a Hayabusa or a R1 , they can reach speeds exceeding 300kmh.
Heidi's were made for gravel , doing 160 max. on dirt and tar  roads , thats more than enough specs for me .
ps. they can do 200kmh , but thats not what they were intended to do .

Ive also heard of a rider getting  3000kms on a Heidi . Really now I must say you probably did quite a few burnuots on the robots in your area , now its the tyres fault. Most probably you also like to rev your bike to the early hours of the morning at gatherings .

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2009, 09:46:57 pm »

Ive also heard of a rider getting  3000kms on a Heidi . Really now I must say you probably did quite a few burnuots on the robots in your area , now its the tyres fault. Most probably you also like to rev your bike to the early hours of the morning at gatherings .

who was that

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2009, 10:14:57 pm »
Yum Yum ... I just love the smell of napalm and new rubber in the morning ... Heidi K60 150/17 shod on my HP2 (test rubber, sorry)  :ricky:

Offline JO GSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • XT660R Wheeeeeeeee......
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2009, 11:06:52 pm »
I also have a test tyre, and it seems to be a bit more stabel at speed, even with 2 up, in comparisson with the older compound.
a Great man is known by how he treats people that can't do anything for him.
Curry Blake

It's all good, all of the time.
Johan Smith

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Robertson
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2009, 08:09:44 am »

who was that

Cannot remember now.  ;D :peepwall:

Offline JacoM

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 04:00:38 pm »
Heidi's still my tyre of choice for many moons to come. Did a 860km trip recently from S/West to Middelpos and back. Had lots of rain on both tar and gravel sections. Rode most of the passes the Western Cape can offer on route. Lots of mud, etc. Also went to play in a sandy river bed just south of Ganaga pass.
I am still amazed with the performance of these tyres. No problem so far (I have one of the original 150's on the back.)
My next Heidi back tyre is on backorder...

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 04:07:49 pm »
I have a 150 test rear tyre on the KTM, and after +- 6000km I recon I can get another 6000 out of it.

Speed - on tar I pushed it to 203km/h (top end for my 950, and same top speed as with TKC), so Willem your lack of speed is due to the lack of speed from your bike and not the tyre.  :pot:

Grip - no problem at all. I did deep sand, hard pack dirt, mud, and cannot say that there is a difference between the Heidi & TKC.

Conclusion -
My tyre of choice on the rear of the KTM!  :thumleft:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2009, 08:44:23 pm »
Got my Heidi fitted last weekend.  No problem at speed (180km/h). Found a bit more 'flexi' in corners.  Guess its less rounded than the old Anakees.  Its more sensitive in the corners (lowish) - iow feels a smaller 'balancing point/surface'.  Only my initial feelings since the tyre only has 100 odd kms on - needs to settle.  No issue at speed though.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 08:49:26 pm »
Also just fitted a new test 150x18 rear, Thanks to the guys at Bikegear  :thumleft:

I have not been for ride yet but will change tomorrow

The new150x18 and the old 140x18

Looking forward to giving this tyre a good workout  >:D
I must say that the 150 looks so much better than the 140.
I am sure to enjoy this tyre
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:50:04 pm by Mark Hardy »

Offline Hoofseun

« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2009, 09:02:29 pm »
I have received a tyre some two weeks ago (150) from Runner that I use on the GS.  I am very impressed so far.  Used it in deep sand, rocky gravel roads, wet tar and general use.  Found it very sensitive during initial cornering (first few 100kms), but setlled.  Run 2.5 front and 2.9 rear on most terrain.

I am very impressed and will order one after this.

Puddles has been using 110/80/19 and 140 on her GS650twin.  Nearly 12 000k's and can do much more.  Used her bike in some mud rides with the tyres and they worked well.
"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2009, 09:07:58 pm »
Found it very sensitive during initial cornering (first few 100kms), but setlled
- good to hear HS :thumleft:

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2009, 09:08:38 pm »
I think the 140 is the perfect tyre for the 650 class bikes.

not to good for the 1 liter bikes. IMO

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2009, 09:44:27 pm »
You will see the tyre settles quite quick and you are going to forget it it's a 50/50 tyre.

The 150/18 thread is slightly different to the 150/17, dont know why they did that but I guess it either has to do with grip or the profile will stay more rounded as it wears down.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2009, 09:45:10 pm »
Also just fitted a new test 150x18 rear, Thanks to the guys at Bikegear  :thumleft:

I have not been for ride yet but will change tomorrow

The new150x18 and the old 140x18

Looking forward to giving this tyre a good workout  >:D
I must say that the 150 looks so much better than the 140.
I am sure to enjoy this tyre

Must say the 150/18 does also look much more 'open' and aggresive than the 140 ... as does the 17"