Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Heidi's are dangerous...  (Read 4733 times)

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: Heidi's are dangerous...
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2009, 09:55:41 pm »
forget it it's a 50/50 tyre.

60/40 imho like a TW 42

50/50 - like a K270

anything less than 50% road imho is a enduro/MX tyre.  But thats only the world according to Garp...

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2009, 09:56:04 pm »
You will see the tyre settles quite quick and you are going to forget it it's a 50/50 tyre.

The 150/18 thread is slightly different to the 150/17, dont know why they did that but I guess it either has to do with grip or the profile will stay more rounded as it wears down.

Jirre Michnus! You must be a frustrated artist or just visually illiterate!  :biggrin: Why not start orientating the tyres in the same direction for starters? The comparison would be easier then ... and before you even got out your pencils  :o  Actually cannot see what you are getting at  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:58:55 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2009, 12:00:10 am »
You will see the tyre settles quite quick and you are going to forget it it's a 50/50 tyre.

The 150/18 thread is slightly different to the 150/17, dont know why they did that but I guess it either has to do with grip or the profile will stay more rounded as it wears down.

Jirre Michnus! You must be a frustrated artist or just visually illiterate!  :biggrin: Why not start orientating the tyres in the same direction for starters? The comparison would be easier then ... and before you even got out your pencils  :o  Actually cannot see what you are getting at  ??? ??? ???
:laughing4: He was  :pot: I think. ;D

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2009, 05:38:05 am »

jirre man, for a art master like you can't you see the genius in this?  8) O0

look where I marked or go look on your own tyres you will see a difference in thread between the 140's and 150's
 :biggrin:

Kilroy, choose which ever will suite you best, 50/50 or 55/45 or 61/39 whatever,man YO!.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:41:04 am by michnus »

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2009, 10:17:04 am »

look where I marked or go look on your own tyres you will see a difference in thread between the 140's and 150's

Jiiirrrre!!!! I know this - just thought you were suggesting a difference between the 150/18 and 150/17 ??? (I have not seen a 150/18 in the flesh)

ok bOET NOW GO DO A FOOKING DOUGHNUT IN THE ROAD OUTSIDE YOUR POSSIE ... love the smell of rubber in the morning  :ricky:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline SlowPoke

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Can't stop staring at Manic's avatar...
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2009, 10:33:02 am »
Yum Yum ... I just love the smell of napalm and new rubber in the morning ... Heidi K60 150/17 shod on my HP2 (test rubber, sorry)  :ricky:

BD, tell met is it a new compound you are testing? If so how is it holding up on wet tar? I love the Heidies, brilliant tyres but my one criticism of them are that on wet tar they are super slippery. Ride 60kmh and lightly hold either brake when going over painted lines - ABS goes apes#!t. I know paint is slippery with all tyres but heidies were/are specially bad at this. If they have a different compound it could mean different wet charachteristics???
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in a large group...
There are only 10 kinds of people who understand binary, those who do and those who don't

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2009, 10:41:06 am »

Jiiirrrre!!!! I know this - just thought you were suggesting a difference between the 150/18 and 150/17 ??? (I have not seen a 150/18 in the flesh)

ok bOET NOW GO DO A FOOKING DOUGHNUT IN THE ROAD OUTSIDE YOUR POSSIE ... love the smell of rubber in the morning  :ricky:
Well looking at your 140/18 and the 150/18 there is also a difference, the ones I showed is the 17 and 18inch and there is also a difference.

Slowpoke we have tested 2 different compounds and there's not much between them. I have not found them to be slippery in wet, in fact, they are better than TKC/s in wet, and not hellova lot less than a Anakee, I would say about the same as a Tourance.

Offline SlowPoke

• Race Dog
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2009, 10:53:48 am »
cool, thanks Michnus. I just take it super slow in the wet in any case  :thumleft:
There are only 10 kinds of people who understand binary, those who do and those who don't

Offline cracklin

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2009, 10:56:55 am »
For what it is worth the new compound currently being tested  has an additional designation of M+S (Mud and Snow)

This compound has been  designed specifically for SA .

Effectively it should have better characteristics(vs the original compound) in wet albeit snow would be pretty useless here.

Have ridden here and in Europe ( in the wet ) with these  and have not had any issues.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:57:57 am by cracklin »

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2009, 11:29:54 am »
Yum Yum ... I just love the smell of napalm and new rubber in the morning ... Heidi K60 150/17 shod on my HP2 (test rubber, sorry)  :ricky:

BD, tell met is it a new compound you are testing? If so how is it holding up on wet tar? I love the Heidies, brilliant tyres but my one criticism of them are that on wet tar they are super slippery. Ride 60kmh and lightly hold either brake when going over painted lines - ABS goes apes#!t. I know paint is slippery with all tyres but heidies were/are specially bad at this. If they have a different compound it could mean different wet charachteristics???

I cannot vouch too much for wet - I am a wuss when it comes to wet riding with anything but a tyre like an Anakee which has been designed specifically with water shedding tread pattern and a specific silica compound for this specific purpose (and a mostly European market I may add). I honestly tippy toe around when wet - especially now with a non ABS 110hp bike that spins its back wheel in the dry (nevermind the wet) without even trying! Craklin's news about the compound is reassuring though and you are really hearing it from the horses mouth as he has worked hands on with the factory in the development of this tyre. A Euro manufacturer also cannot just put a designation like M+S on a tyre without it being tested accordingly and spec passed etc.

We really are onto the best possible scenario IMHO regarding these tyres - I mean really which other brand would for starters develop and make sizes of tyres we specifically want and need and then on top of this tune a compound to our conditions? And all this at a good price and giving excellent mileage. A no brainer.  :3some:

Offline SlowPoke

• Race Dog
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2009, 11:47:26 am »
Hey don't get me wrong. If heidenhau made T-shirts I'd be wearing them. I love the tyres  :thumleft:

Cracklin, as soon as those mud and snow jobs are available let us know, I'm in for a 150 rear :thumleft:

Offline Pullaway

« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2009, 03:28:43 pm »

Ive also heard of a rider getting  3000kms on a Heidi . Really now I must say you probably did quite a few burnuots on the robots in your area , now its the tyres fault. Most probably you also like to rev your bike to the early hours of the morning at gatherings .

who was that
We may have a case here of a 950 with noctambulism! Or the owner maybe?
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:43 pm »

Ive also heard of a rider getting  3000kms on a Heidi . Really now I must say you probably did quite a few burnuots on the robots in your area , now its the tyres fault. Most probably you also like to rev your bike to the early hours of the morning at gatherings .

who was that
We may have a case here of a 950 with noctambulism! Or the owner maybe?

:imaposer: :imaposer:

I remember the limiter test very well and have the humble pie that I had to eat the next morning  ;D

But

At no time have I ever done any durn outs at any robots. I have left 1 or 3 black strips on the tar but that was through corners in 2nd gear @6000rpm, which I will not take credit for... the devil made me do it.  :mwink:

Yes I got 3486 km on the 140x18 at it was not looking to well. As I have said ...I think the 140 heidinau is the perfect tyre for the 650 class bikes but not for the 1 liter class bikes.

Here is what my tyre looks like ....3486Km

I am sure that the 150x18 will handle the power of the 1 liter class better, last longer and offer better traction in the dirt.  :thumleft:

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2009, 08:38:23 pm »
Nee wat jy is n tyre naa..er, that tyre had it share of abuse.  :biggrin:

Riding a TKC like that you would have gotten, what, 1000km or less?  You can still get another 2000km from that tyre, the blocks are not at the 1mm mark.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:39:55 pm by michnus »

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2009, 08:59:18 pm »
Nee wat jy is n tyre naa..er, that tyre had it share of abuse.  :biggrin:

Riding a TKC like that you would have gotten, what, 1000km or less?  You can still get another 2000km from that tyre, the blocks are not at the 1mm mark.  ;)

+1 +1+1 = me three

You are a tyre beater!  :xxbah:
I will ask Edgy to post a pic of his 140/18 on his 950SE - I have seen him throw blocks off other brands and hardly get 1000km but his Heidi is going strong.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »

It is me that is heavy on tyres.....It is the devil that lives on the should I tell you  >:D

Jokes aside.

I would say the 140 is dangerouse on the lter class bikes, on tar I have found the tyre quite stable at all speeds but like some have said, in the wet it does get interesting and will spin up on command.
Sand riding was ok but again I thought it was too narrow but you could still get away with riding it at 2 bar. Gravel is cool excepy at speed where traction is god, I just found the 140 to be a bit prone to breaking loose through corners but not dangerously. It would step out and start spinning which ment a lack of forward movement etc.

I am so looking forward to this 150.  :ricky:

We'll see how it goes this weekend.  :biggrin:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2009, 10:08:36 pm »
Mark, in all honesty you must have absolutely caned your bike to get that tyre to look like that. What is your fuel consumption and brake pad wear like?
I punished my 140, and it did 8000km.
No 140 Heidi I have seen has looked that worn.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2009, 10:15:19 pm »
In all honesty I rode the bike like I always do. I never purosely tried to kill the tyre.

Fuel consumptionis normal between 14-16 kms/l

I did two long rides where the maintained speeds on tar were between 160-180km/h but they were short distance of about 100km each.

Otherwise it has been normal dirt riding, gravel roads, two track, sand, some rocky areas etc.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2009, 07:54:36 am »
In all honesty I rode the bike like I always do. I never purosely tried to kill the tyre.

I did two long rides where the maintained speeds on tar were between 160-180km/h but they were short distance of about 100km each.

Otherwise it has been normal dirt riding, gravel roads, two track, sand, some rocky areas etc.

:imaposer:

Mark, change your sprockets back to factory mod...
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2009, 07:58:44 am »

:imaposer:

Mark, change your sprockets back to factory mod...

Yeah, that 14 T front and 54T rear is not cool.... :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!