Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Prudent Riding Please: Please Witness this  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Prudent Riding Please: Please Witness this
« on: October 29, 2006, 08:33:33 pm »
So a bunch of us were at Doodles today on Blouberg Road right at the ocean, and I tagged along to see who would be there  :twisted:  and share a cold one with the lads. CO,Kaman,MHardy,MalAl, were there and a good time was had. We naturally spot all the bikes zooming past, and these squids came past at a speed.

I was pretty sure that I saw skin on the one lad in front as his tshirt was blown up around his neck. Needless to say they were not slow. The road is exceptionally popular on Sundays when the sun is out and there was lots of slow (read: 60kays/Hour) traffic.

We made the comments: stupid pricks, they going to get hurt like that. Wheres the atgatt? Dumbasses.

Two superbikes, both boys were wearing sneakers/flip flops it seemed, both shorts and t shirts.

Now for those not in the know, a GSXR1000 can go from 0-160km/h in first gear. You read right, and no its not a typo. The urge to speed is too easy.

Less than 60 seconds later, the guy in front was dead.

What happened here was simple: The boys were overtaking traffic in the wrong lane (oncoming traffic). A lady pulled into the parking bay  - shes allowed to), and as she crossed the road this boy basically tboned her car.

The car was carrying a mom, and her 3 year old boy who wanted icecream (the reason for her being where she was) and her 5 year old girl.

When I saw her, the girl had blood on her, the little boy was fine, and mom had blood down her. The pics will speak for themselves, and are a sobering reminder to be vigilant, keep your head on your shoulders and please dont think your immortal. RIP

This is the arrow which showed that although there a barrier line, she was allowed to take a right turn into the parking lot

This is the scene of the accident

This chap with the cap and black tshirt is the other guy who was riding the bike behind his chommie who died. I spoke with him, and he appeared to  be a soft spoken chap, and there were tears in his eyes. I think a bit of PTSD was setting in and he was worried about the gravity of the situation. He confirmed for me that they were indeed the chaps who we had witnessed come past. This is literally what they were wearing. His dad had come to take away his bike already, for reasons unknown.

The vehicle which was hit by the motorbike. Containing Mom, and 2 kids.

Another picture of the vehicle. I am not sure how the front dent came to be.

This is mom and daughter. Notice blood on daughters face. Unfortunately the cellcamera doesnt show the blood flecks on this side of the car, which I dont understand.

I spoke to her too, and she was handling this amazingly well. She said that she had come to get icecream for her kid, as a treat. She never saw the bike coming whatsoever, despite looking into her rearview mirror, etc. The lady behind did see, and started to scream at her to stop but it was too late.

The bike

bits and pieces left on the road

I heard comments but cannot confirm from the people involved, if their was any flames. This is the exact spot, the sand seems to be there to soak up fluids.

Kev

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 09:34:32 pm »
:shock:  :(

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 09:44:21 pm »
Clothing can't protect you from stupidity.You can see it in peoples attitude toward bikes, no ATTGAT, inconsiderate riding style and then they feel like TOPGUN.
And so bikes are being branded as coffin on wheels, maybe a R500 riding course was enough to safe this guys life today.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 10:22:50 pm »
sad news this...  :(  :(
but i cant understand it... coz as lito said, on a sunday this is such a busy road, with fairly pleasant weather today...

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 11:15:02 pm »
Rode past that accident when I left Doodles but was travelling on the service road that runs parallel to the beach road, Didn't realise a bike was involved in the accident. Yeh the chaps use this road as a drag strip, another life wasted.

RIP  :cry:

Offline KTM BIGGER

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • SAB Goblin 700
    • http://www.goblinhobbies.co.za/
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 02:30:54 am »
Lito,

This is sad, the saying goes " Young and dum and full of cum" or " As jy nie wil luister moet jy kak".

WHY? i ask myself the question all the time. If you want to be vintgat then do it on the track where there is no other pedestrian or traffic involved.
As you said this road is extremely busy and this again shows that it only takes 1 wrong move for a fatality.

I hope that we all can learn from this experience.

Offline briv

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 09:24:25 am »
Further to Lito's post. Me and my fam. were on that road, and it happend right behind us. It was horrific !! The rider must have landed 30-40 m's on past some telephone booths.

oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
Yamaha AG 100. Honda XR200. Yamaha XS11.  KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 09:29:31 am »
I could see the lights of the emergency vehicles from Doodles. I could not believe the speed that the 2 riders came past at with no Atgatt. I am just relieved that the passengers in the care were not seriously hurt.

RIP to the rider :(

Hopefully other riders will take a leson out of this unfortunate incident though.
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

shark_za

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 09:33:07 am »
Suicide by Suzuki.
Stoopid hurts.

I hope Think Bike or some other vehicle gets the message across to irresponsible riders.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 09:40:48 am »
RIP. :cry: Not nice.

When I left CO, Mark H, Kamanya, Madal at Doodles on way home I also took the service road as the traffic was slow. Only a very very "stupid" rider would have speed there.

I read somewhere that in Germany a rider is restricted to a certain low kw or horsepower bike for the first 2 years he/she owns a license. I think  it makes sence to protect riders agains themselves.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 09:58:44 am »
MacDuff, please post this on your think bike initiative.

The rider was 21 years old.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 10:07:01 am »
Quote from: "Ama ride ride"
RIP. :cry: Not nice.

When I left CO, Mark H, Kamanya, Madal at Doodles on way home I also took the service road as the traffic was slow. Only a very very "stupid" rider would have speed there.

I read somewhere that in Germany a rider is restricted to a certain low kw or horsepower bike for the first 2 years he/she owns a license. I think  it makes sence to protect riders agains themselves.

It's like that in the UK too - you get restrictor kits for a lot of bikes as well, to fall in with this.  I think the limit is 36 bhp when you just start out riding.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 10:15:39 am »
RIP.
Very very sad incident.
My heart goes out to the guys family.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 10:17:09 am »
Think Bike should change their approach to Bikers should Think.

Get the bikers to understand responsible riding and attitude towards bikes and they will stop blaming accidents on the bike, weather, cagers, road condition or whatever threw them of the bike.

The statistics against bikers are increasing with accidents like this.

How many people even on this forum had formal training with a riding school, even for older riders just to get rid of bad habits, or to keep you sharp, I doubt very little.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 10:17:53 am »
Quote from: "Ama ride ride"

On that note. Heard sometime last week or before that in SA they are considering that new lisences will only be a "probationary" license. 3 years if I remember correctly. If you behave, license will become permanent. Something like that.

Bank to the original. It is a very sad day indeed when anyone looses his/her life, whether bike or cage accident.

This one however, seems to be totally unescesary.  I doubt if ATGATT would have gauranteed saving his life on this occasion. Plain stupidity. I wish there was a way that this unfortunate accident can be conveyed to ALL bike riders out there. Not only the few of us that normally ride responsibly most of the times. This is not good for biking. Riding like that in I assume a 60km/h zone with traffic.

People. Take it easy out there when city riding. Dangers are a only a fraction of a second away and irresponsible riding will almost gaurantee an accident one time or another.

Best of wishes to the loved ones left behind. :(
He who angers you, controls you.

shark_za

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 10:21:46 am »
Quote from: "michnus"
Think Bike should change their approach to Bikers should Think.

Get the bikers to understand responsible riding and attitude towards bikes and they will stop blaming accidents on the bike, weather, cagers, road condition or whatever threw them of the bike.

The statistics against bikers are increasing with accidents like this.

How many people even on this forum had formal training with a riding school, even for older riders just to get rid of bad habits, or to keep you sharp, I doubt very little.

Unfortunately this is seen too often on Thinkbike.
I bet you will find a whole bunch of people saying speed had nothing to do with this incident.  :(
Blame the tannie in her car.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 10:24:10 am »
What a fucking waste!

I know that in my younger years I had many close shaves and just got lucky to get this far. When you are younger you are far more immortal,  fearless, very competitive and impulsive. It is not a good recipe when you add crowded roads and a road rocket.

It does't give bikers a good reputation.

Its very sad.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 10:29:39 am »
Agree this was unneccessary.  Maybe should think about starting a campaign to bundle the purchase of ATGATT and at least a course with the sale of a bike?
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline Udjeni

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
Re: Prudent Riding Please: Please Witness this
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 10:32:14 am »
Quote from: "Lito"
What happened here was simple: The boys were overtaking traffic in the wrong lane (oncoming traffic). A lady pulled into the parking bay  - shes allowed to), and as she crossed the road this boy basically tboned her car.

I'm a bit slow this morning, so I am not quite following what happened.  Where the bikes in the left lane and overtaking cars in the right lane, or were they overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic?  Did the car that was t-boned travel in the same direction as them or not?  Did the car turn left or right?

From the description and the photo's, I can't quite figure it out.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 10:33:00 am »
Exactly why I doubt the approach of Think Bike. In the new Topbike there are 2 good articles on safety and it boils down to riders own responsibility to stay safe.

Most bikers can ride a bicycle and therefore can ride a bike. I never had an accident in 20years of riding---but he never said he only do 2000km per year, If I am an insurer I don't even want you on my books.

The amazing thing I notice and I am generalising is DS people tend to believe in ATGATT across the board and in safe riding, Sport bike riders do warp speed with jeans and tekkies.

Where were this guy?s parents or friends when he got his bike? Or if it is a borrowed bike, nobody care to tell him his making the biggest mistake of his life.

Well it's:

GAME OVER