Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Prudent Riding Please: Please Witness this  (Read 3189 times)

Offline DaCat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Piaggio (all models)
Prudent Riding Please: Please Witness this
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 10:40:49 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"

I bet you will find a whole bunch of people saying speed had nothing to do with this incident.  :(
Blame the tannie in her car.

:( Highly unlikely! ... but this my personal opinion. I wasn't there, but looks pretty much like rider error to me. We all mis-judge situations, it's part of being human, unfortunately, this is even more true when one is young... we've all been there.

I feel sorry for the tanie and her family, really sad that they had to be exposed to this sort of ordeal.

I also feel sorry for the rider's family and friends to have to carry the burden of this incident  :cry:
When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense! 

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 10:41:53 am »
Quote from: "Stephan"
Agree this was unneccessary.  Maybe should think about starting a campaign to bundle the purchase of ATGATT and at least a course with the sale of a bike?

saw a tag about free rider training  on a new varadero at honda westrand some time ago. don't know to which other bikes it applies to and which academy, though, but looks promising.

Offline brettp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Blue boss.....
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 10:44:07 am »
Its never nice to see something like this, infact it is a sobering moment for all who ride!

I was going to post a similar topic, however it seems apt to rather drop a line or two here, as the topic is of similar nature.

Yesterday, I decided to venture out to Harties in search of the illusive (well to me it is... :wink: ) BreedsNek. I went out on the Hans Strydom road, and was amazed at the amount of Superbikes that passed me at speeds that shocked me...... I was cruising at 140kph, and these lads came hauling past, making it appear that I was looking for parking..... :?  The scary thing is that only a handfull were wearing leathers, and the pillions had jeans and a sweater or light jackets......

I am NOT surprised that more riders dont get killed. On more than one occasion, I was almost taken out by on comming riders, who had either "over cooked" a corner, or who were overtaking on the wrong side of the road.

ATGATT is only part of the solution.....common sence is the other !
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 10:48:25 am »
i am speaking here in an unofficial capacity, of course  :?
i have to say that the majority of this board seem to be fairly responsible in their approach to biking. that is, the use of ATGATT, speed, alcohol consumption. i might add that i am saying this purely from what i read here on the board. i dont know many of you personally.

in my efforts in helping the TB campaign, each and every event we have been present to promote the campaign, have been at biking events. i.e. rallies, dayjols, track-days and bike expos, with the express purpose of not only recruiting more help, but to promote better riding habits.
just one morning did we spend time handing out pamphlets to motorists.

if one reads the pamphlet, obtainable on the website, it is clearly directed at both motorists and bikers, and in fact, the emphasis is towards responsible biking by the bikers themselves.

sad accidents such as this one, will always take place, and unfortunately also include the innocent (i imagine the trauma suffered by those two kids) - but ONLY responsible action and approach to biking might, just might,spread the word.
one need not be a TB member, or visit their site/forum on a continuous basis to spread the word.... just keep up responsible posting/support and actions right here. this forum here is already doing their fair share of safe riding.

as per litos request, i have linked this thread to the TB forum.

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 10:51:05 am »
Two lanes of traffic.

Left (for illustration purposes) lane is going up.

Right lane is going down.

Lady in car is in left lane, stopped, and waiting for break in traffic to go right into parking area shown in pics.

Bikers coming up from behind at a goodly speed, supposed to be in left lane, but are actually coming up fast in the right hand lane, directly in the face of oncoming traffic.

As lady pulls right (obvious break in oncoming traffic for her), the biker is going to quickly, and tbones her.

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 10:54:10 am »
Red and myself were also on the roads in the Harties vicinity on Sunday.  Some of those guys were really motoring, even through turns where they could not have had any clue of what lay on the other side of the bend.  And as brettp said ATGATT? what's that, PT pants, t-shirts and the like was common.  It's called stupidity, it kills a lot more efficiently than speed! :evil:  :evil:
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 10:57:32 am »
HI Maccie - and DaCat! (DC, its been a long time mate, hope to see you down here in the Cape again sometime. Mac, I just thought you might be able to use this to help out buddy in rider education)

I feel unbelievably sad for the rider who died, the buddy who was travelling with him watching his mate die, the lady and kids in the car who had this guy kill himself against their vehicle, and the father and family of the boy who died

Hilde told me that she saw a man who lit candles at the scene and sat their crying last night. That well could have been his papa

GSXR750, beautiful bike, you could see it in the attention to detail, that this boy cared about his bike.

No one has the right to point fingers, as I know all of us have exceeded the speed limit and road rules by a gob and a half in all kinds of situations. We have all been lucky to be able to read this and be ok.

Despite that boys wrongdoing, its a sad event.

shark_za

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 10:58:03 am »
Quote from: "DaCat"

:( Highly unlikely! ... but this my personal opinion. I wasn't there, but looks pretty much like rider error to me.

Fair comment Paul. I take that back.
There are some places where speed is possible, I'm not too fussed to ride 140kph on a dirt road if the sides are wide and clear and visibility is good,  but this was obviously not the time and place to be speeding.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 11:06:28 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"

:( Highly unlikely! ... but this my personal opinion. I wasn't there, but looks pretty much like rider error to me.

Fair comment Paul. I take that back.
There are some places where speed is possible, I'm not too fussed to ride 140kph on a dirt road if the sides are wide and clear and visibility is good,  but this was obviously not the time and place to be speeding.

I've gone faster on dirt than on tar. Tar and me are not best of buddies.

As Shark said: Choose your time and place to do speed. And "speed" can be 80km/h in a zone really suited to 50km/h. Certain situations just does not allow for speed, as per this unfortunate example.

PS: Nice to see you here DC. 8)
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline DaCat

• Pack Dog
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 11:18:54 am »
:wink: You guys had pulled the plug on my loggin a while back, but I did re-register  :P  :twisted: ... just need to catch up on your trips sections, my favourite part of this forum  8) ... but you're still hooligans :P :lol:

I know that Blouberg road, and I agree that is stupid to go nuts in that area. It is a busy section, and even worse are all the side roads.

I also have to agree about the Harties route  :evil: ... I stopped going that way for a long time cos of the idiots on the road  (... maybe more than 2 years of a no-go area for me, started when the TB, old Bike SA board, starting doing those runs).

I have no problem with speed, but overtaking unsafely with on-comming traffic is pure suicide and you get to hurt an innocent party.

Maybe others will learn from this as well, hopefully anyway  :?
When in doubt, Gas It! It may not solve the problem, but it WILL end the suspense! 

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 11:46:54 am »
Someone at work pointed out something that no one has mentioned so far - or maybe I missed it - there is a solid white line that prohibits overtaking, and possibly traffic turning right into the parking area. Now I don't want to start blaming the lady for doing that and causing the accident, I merely want to elaborate on what has been said before.

Anticipate that other people might stop suddenly, turn in front of you, change lanes, etc. It is called defensive driving/riding, and it will save your life if you follow it. Slow down when there is a possible chance of danger, don't just push ahead and think 'I'll ride through that car or knock it's mirror off'.

You are responsible for you own safety, not the other people on the road.

God bless all those involved in this horrible incident.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 11:48:35 am »
:wink: You guys had pulled the plug on my loggin a while back, but I did re-register  :P  :twisted: ... just need to catch up on your trips sections, my favourite part of this forum  8) ... but you're still hooligans :P :lol:

Ja-nee, now this place went for the dogs :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline DaCat

• Pack Dog
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2006, 12:40:15 pm »
Quote from: "bla-bla black sheep"

Cujo will apologise later for registering here  :P  :lol:

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 12:52:18 pm »
Quote from: "bla-bla black sheep"

Cujo will apologise later for registering here  :P  :lol:

:lol:

PS: DC, so when will you buy your DS bike??

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 01:14:37 pm »
How about a restriction on riding anything above a 125cc until you are older than 35?
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2006, 01:55:04 pm »
Quote from: "JonW"
How about a restriction on riding anything above a 125cc until you are older than 35?

stadig nou, that would prevent me from riding my 400 :shock:

Maybe 16-21 - 125cc
21-25 - 250cc
25-30 - 400cc

A better alternative would be to compel applicants to go to a riding school before getting their license.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

shark_za

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 02:03:49 pm »
A riding course or full kit would not stop this sort of thing.
Getting people to change attitudes about speed migth have an effect.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 02:11:20 pm »
In this case, stupid kills. Like shark sez, it is up to the rider to have the correct attitude towards speeding in traffic.
Remember just after Krazy-eyes got his bike, he was in exactly the same situation, luckily for him, he was not speeding thus could avoid a potentially fatal accident. Overtaking in a road where there are lots of opertunities to turn into/out of warrants self-control from the riders point of view.

If you wanna speed.. do it on the track in controlled environment.

I have said my say... :?

Offline BoJangels

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Plettenberg Bay
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 02:46:13 pm »
Very sad indeed :(

I try to promote rider responsibility whenever I have a Think Bike promotion at rallies but.....

the (younger) guys are mostly plastered, trying to impress everyone with their bravery (read stupidity) and I doubt if they even remember what I said.

I hope they eventually read the brochure befor turfing it, specially the section on rider responsibility, and take note.

some learn the hard way, some dont get that opportunity :(
It is never too late or too early to be whoever you want to be.

Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.

Offline SauRoN

• Puppy
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 03:06:25 pm »
Stupid Stupid Stupid.

I've skimped on riding pants and boots(until I broke three toes), but NEVER on a jacket, gloves and pants.

That being said I don't think gear would have saved him from his stupidity.

Lito were you stuck with your bike at the Engen in Sonnendal last night?

Friend of mine said there was a Black KTM, which I presume was at that garage which had trouble starting.