BMW 1200GS on 'TICK' ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiG DoM

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
My new HP2 was quite noisy engine pots-wise when I bought it and a little rough for my liking. In fact seemed to have a bit of a 'tick' on the RHS. I thought it just needed a good tappet adjustment and did this before the EC WD Bash - I found one intake side very tight and must say the bikle went much better thereafter. BUT ... there was still a distinctive 'tick' on the RHS but bike went fine. Then Cappies even commented on it at the bash (he having suffered recently from tick as well) and this got me thinking again and wondered if it was not the cam-chain tensioner ... but then the noise did not go away when the bike warmed up as is the case with can chain tensioner. Then the penny dropped that may be the rocker arm end play ... I had not checked this when I did the tappets, and although I had I had done it before on my 1150 with my previous ADV they never needed adjustment in 3 years - and with the bike having less than 3000km on it (and having had a 1000km check) I  ignored them. WELL ... forkit then ... TT crash bars off, HP2 head protectors off, pull plugs, covers off ... and back in there ... AND sheet cannot believe a new bike can have the rockers so out of spec!!! On the LHS the exhaust side rocker arm end play was 0.33mm ... and spec should ideally be between 0.06-0.08 (0.0025" - 0.003"). Intake LHS side was 0.13mm and on RHS both were 0.23mm. Well needless to say they are now in spec and bike is schweet.

For those who have never done rocker arm end play some make it out as a black art but is not really that difficult ... little frustrating at first as you have 3 X 45 torx head bolts and a 15mm that get tensioned and torqued and the adjustment can shift, but well worth learning how to do it. Good write up (if a bit anal0 on ADVRider: https://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/OREPADv1.0.pdf

So next time you do your tappets check the rocker end play or if you do not do your own wrenching make sure you ask your mechanic to check and adjust them - many do not check it either.  :3some: