Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why the BMW 650 Dakar?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Big E

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Hou my BigE dop...ek wil vir jou trick wys
Why the BMW 650 Dakar?
« on: June 21, 2009, 09:24:35 pm »
I'm playing around with the idea of upgrading to a BMW 650 Dakar!
Weight wise the Dakar is 7kg ligter than my KLE according to specs and is higher,with more power which is exactly what I'm looking for!
But thats all just specs!
Can some Dakar owners please tell me why the Dakar is such a great bike...or is it? Some pro's and cons please!
Nou kyk nou net waar het daai hond loop l!

Offline Big E

• Race Dog
Re: Why the BMW 650 Dakar?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:38:39 pm »
Pinging Bobnob!!!

Online Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:42:51 pm »
Koop hom!! >:D

Of 'n KTM >:D
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:45:53 pm »
They are nice bikes Big E. Light on fuel and hardly ever give problems. Great seat for long distances. Not a rocket but can be ridden all day long in comfort. Will buy one again if I go back to the 650 class.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:58:52 pm »
I have a lot of respect for the Dakkie - 2-up wif me & missus - still runs beautifully. Comfy and powerful. Also a model that's stood the test of time. Mine was supposed to be a "temp" bike... but I have really fallen in love with this one.

Highly recommended.....
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:06:30 pm »
Nice bikes. Not as smooth as your twin though.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:27:41 pm »
you cant go wrong  :thumleft:

the dakar is an awesome bike

i have done 1050km in a single day and i could have done another 500km no problem - it really has the most comfortable seat ever  :ricky:

not the most powerful but the power delivery is smooth and constant  :thumleft:

very fuel efficient - very reliable  :thumleft:

have done a 1000km weekend trip 2 up no problem  :thumleft:

service costs from the dealers are a bit expensive but you only service it every 10000km compared to a klr every 5000km it evens out and might actually work out cheaper  :thumleft:

the only other bikes i would consider in the class if i were you - if you want more solo dirt ability then ktm640 if you want more 2 up touring then maybe a africa twin

i think the dakar is a perfect middle ground between hardcore off-road and touring  :deal:

and you get so much bling bling for the dakar  :biggrin:

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 11:20:28 pm »
Great is a understatement.  ;)

The most reliable motor of all 650's
FI, and lightest fuel consumption
10000km service intervals, relatively low service cost
Compact radiator set up
Under seat petrol tank lower COG
Not the best suspension but also not bad, perfect for D/S riding.
Can cover 1000km a day with ease.
No Doo  >:D ;)
Very little mods necessary to ride
Crash-ability quite good  (if there's even such a word)
Bad, bad xorst.
Most people use it for RTW trips

Most documented for repairs and maintenance www.f650.com/faq

It's going to be a cult bike, get yours now.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:21:17 pm by michnus »

Offline JAmBer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Reborn Dakar
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 11:55:37 pm »
When I trashed my Dakar, I had to make the decision again: which bike? After looking at all the alternatives, it was down to two: The 640A and the Dakar. I opted for the Dakar again for the following reasons:

* Parts are freely available and repairs/servicing reasonably cheap.  Uses "standard sizes". Bearings, spark plugs, tires etc etc are all stocked by third-party suppliers. You can even buy the oil filter for a Bombardier/Aprillia and it fits. No need for BMW's crazy prices for most things.
* Self-service is easy.
* Proven, well-understood design. It's a popular bike with lots of knowledge and experience floating around.
* FI is a beaut (early models had some problems, but no issues post-2005).
* Good fuel range and bulletproof mechanics - essentials for touring. Drive carefully and you can do over 450km on a tank. 340km if you're thrashing it.
* The suspension really is quite adequate for almost every use. I would have refitted the OEM parts if I could get them cheap, but rebuilt my bike with the USD WP's 'cos they were available secondhand.
* Quality components last a long time. It takes a beating and just keeps going. Just ask all the guys who overload these bikes when touring... no problems.
* And it's not bad looking either   ;D

There is only one thing that keeps the Dakar from being the ultimate dual sport bike: its weight, which you can feel in the rough stuff. Though, it sounds like you're used to heavy bikes, so no problem for you? And it's really fine for touring, only a problem when the going gets tough on a technical route. The thing with weight is that it's always a tradeoff - using the same material and making the bike lighter would also make it weaker, reducing its loadability. Else you need more expensive material. I believe BMW made a sensible compromise.

To my mind, the Dakar is the perfect bike. I would buy one again in a heartbeat.

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 12:34:53 am »
The dakar is the benchmark of the 650 DS bike.

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 01:18:04 am »
Awesome bikes  :thumleft:

jamber I see you one weight and raise you a stearing rake that makes it feel like you are wrestling a schoolbus when you turn  :laughing4:
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 08:09:41 am »
Have enjoyed mine for over 30,000km now and still fall in love with it all over again---everytime i take her on tour. Low stressed motor. Can go all day and needs minimal work done on it. Thought of selling mine a few times ??? But have decided to ride it till the wheels come off.. Goooooood choice IMHO.
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Varadero

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 08:26:24 am »
We buy bikes, we ride them and then sell them to "upgrade." I reckon the true test of whether a bike was not just good but bloody excellent is if you ask yourself do you miss it and would you buy it again?  I have to answer yes to both of them with regards to my Dakar, and I think most owners (both past and present) would say so. 

Offline Big E

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 08:35:21 am »
What must I be on the look-out for? I see theere are alot of them availible between R50-R60K with less than 10 000km on the clock!!!

Offline Varadero

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:27 am »
If you are going to play offroad try get one without ABS (don't need the weight or the dumb ass on/off switch that keeps pulling the wires off when you've fitted handlebar raisers) and heated grips (hey I live in Jhb and don't use them - even in winter, just buy yourself a decent pair of gloves), at under 10000km they aren't even run in yet; bet most of the owners that are trying to sell them want to "upgrade" to something bigger, better, faster, ....  Buy it and ride it, add mod's as you go along.     

Offline lecap

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 09:25:30 am »
I did not like the Dakar for the following reasons:

It's very tall and very heavy (for a 650) and difficult to handle if you're less than 1.8m

The bike is pretty much set up as a road bike. The suspension is a bit too soft and overdampened for dirt.

The steering head bearings are not sealed but only protected by a washer :o No fork boots either.

The side stand is positioned very awkwardly. It is difficult to tilt the bike over the side stand to spray your chain or fix a tire. 

All three F650GS / GS Dakar I owned developed brain numbing vibrations at 3500 - 4000rpm. My bikes were early models, two Y2K Dakkies and the GS being the most recent - a 2002. Not the normal thumper vibes but the kind that blurs your vision.

I found the engines power delivery uninspiring and pap although the bikes perform well. It's probably a personal thing but I prefer an engine which kicks in at some point and responds crisply to throttle imputs. The F650's throttle cable seems to be 400 metres long and made from rubber.

Body panels are shockingly expensive (spraypainted).

The paper air filter element is tiny.

The water pump drive gear is a piece of cheap shite.

I liked the Dakar for these reasons:

Very good fuel economy

Very good passenger comfort

I would say:
If you are tall, don't mind a slightly heavier bike because you are looking for a tar & gravel tourer, plan to do some to a lot of two up, go for the Dakar.
A good alternative I would also consider is the RD07 Africa Twin.

If you are short and if you want to ride solo and hard dirt & technical stuff look somewhere else.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 09:42:52 am »
I had a Dakar a few years back and really enjoyed it a lot! Great comfort and handling on the road and generally very capable tourer. What i never enjoyed was going off-road...the bike sucked! Heavy and funny enough the width bugged me? Too wide to stand comfortably for long?
My 2c.... 
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:19 am »
I had a Dakar a few years back and really enjoyed it a lot! Great comfort and handling on the road and generally very capable tourer. What i never enjoyed was going off-road...the bike sucked! Heavy and funny enough the width bugged me? Too wide to stand comfortably for long?
My 2c.... 

lol I guess your not used to having something wide between you legs....   :pot:
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Ginger Bread Man

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 10:18:13 am »
My 2c.... 

i feel the same, i almost want to double my footpeg width....

its a great bike, but nothing exciting about the power delivery but as an all-rounder i have found nothing wrong with it, yes a bit heavy( but i come from a kdx 200 so thats almost double the weight)

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 10:31:52 am »
Aaaag ffs, harden the fuck-up bulk-up with that USN stuff the laaities use, weight nooo problem,  it's not a off road bike it's a d/s bike.   8) :bueller:

:biggrin: