Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why the BMW 650 Dakar?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Why the BMW 650 Dakar?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 10:34:59 am »
If you are going to play offroad try get one without ABS (don't need the weight or the dumb ass on/off switch that keeps pulling the wires off when you've fitted handlebar raisers) and heated grips (hey I live in Jhb and don't use them - even in winter, just buy yourself a decent pair of gloves), at under 10000km they aren't even run in yet; bet most of the owners that are trying to sell them want to "upgrade" to something bigger, better, faster, ....  Buy it and ride it, add mod's as you go along.     

cant disagree with you more - ABS is worth its weight in gold if you ask me  :thumleft:

and the heated grips even more so  :biggrin:

you can always disable the ABS if you want to - and i have had no issues with my handle bar raisers and the cables - works perfectly  :thumleft:

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 10:36:42 am »
ABS ON ABS OFF, it's a mere push of a button  :biggrin:

Yee to soft for off raod.  ;)

Offline growweblaar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 10:45:48 am »
I love my Dakar :)

All dual-sport bikes are a compromise: you have to decide where you lie on the spectrum of road/distance/power vs technical/dirt ability. For my own requirements the 650 class is the ideal, and the Dakkie the best model.

However:

A. If any manufacturer brought out a similar bike that is 20kg lighter (;D), I would take it immediately

B. I wish the stock exhausts didn't sound so tinny.

And, finally, as for any bike, here's my list of must-have farkles:

1. Crashbars
2. Better screen (most 2nd hand ones seem to have that already)
3. Centre stand

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 10:46:58 am »

However:

A. If any manufacturer brought out a similar bike that is 20kg lighter (;D), I would take it immediately

1. Crashbars
3. Centre stand

hows about the new tenere?
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 10:55:42 am »

However:

1. Crashbars
3. Centre stand

Is heavier than the Dakar.  ;)

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 10:59:34 am »

However:

1. Crashbars
3. Centre stand

Is heavier than the Dakar.  ;)

lol :D

to tired and busy to look but whats the weight to power like on the dakie compaired to the tenere?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:00:11 am by N[]vA »

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 11:01:40 am »
Aaaag ffs, harden the fuck-up bulk-up with that USN stuff the laaities use, weight nooo problem,  it's not a off road bike it's a d/s bike.   8) :bueller:

:biggrin:

+ 2  :laughing4:

.............. and NOT meant for short shits!  :pot:   - for those that cannot reach the ground - the TW200 is ideal!  :biggrin:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Varadero

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 11:05:06 am »
you can always disable the ABS if you want to - and i have had no issues with my handle bar raisers and the cables - works perfectly  :thumleft:

Problem is if you do pull the wires off the back of the unit, like I did, the ABS default setting is ABS on then you can't switch the bloody thing off!  Try soldering them back on in the middle of the Kalahari (thanks to Jan from Country Trax who managed to do just that on mine).  ABS will always be a personal issue, I commute by bike daily and love ABS on it for the highway and commuting BUT for DS bikes on the off road stuff I personally prefer not to have it

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 11:09:46 am »
Apart from the GS 1150 ADV, the GS 650 Dakar is the best GS that BMW made. The only real complaint I have heard is that the suspension needs up grading. Otherwise I think it is a excellent DS bike.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 11:10:41 am »

Problem is if you do pull the wires off the back of the unit, like I did, the ABS default setting is ABS on then you can't switch the bloody thing off!  Try soldering them back on in the middle of the Kalahari (thanks to Jan from Country Trax who managed to do just that on mine).  ABS will always be a personal issue, I commute by bike daily and love ABS on it for the highway and commuting BUT for DS bikes on the off road stuff I personally prefer not to have it

must be honest i'm not as hardcore as everyone thinks  :P

on our recent trip to the EC bash i switched of the ABS on the dirt and found that i have become so use to it that i just switched it back on and left it - if i were to buy a bike that did not have ABS i would get use to it as well - but for the time being dirt or tar i use the ABS

you make do with what you have  :thumleft:

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 11:10:58 am »

Hondsiff Honda

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 11:23:03 am »
KLE to Dakar not sure if thats an upgrade? :pot:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:51:47 am by pistonslapped »

Offline Big E

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Hou my BigE dop...ek wil vir jou trick wys
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 03:13:06 pm »
KLE to Xchal not sure if thats an upgrade? :pot:

What do you mean? Its like going from a 2.5D Isuzu to a 2.8D Isuzu  :biggrin: but both are great bakkies
Nou kyk nou net waar het daai hond loop l!

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 04:21:31 pm »
What do you want the Dakar for? That would be the deciding factor - if you want a solid, reliable 650cc adventure tourer then the Dakar is hard to beat. If you want something you can throw around a bit as well, it's a little too heavy.

Pros:
- fuel economy
- bullet proof
- comfortable
- packing space

Cons:
- heavy
- slightly sluggish on the throttle
- expensive plastics
- wind protection

I often miss my Dakar, and it must be said that the only reason I sold it was because I was travelling less, and playing more. But for outrides, trips and commuting the Dakar was great. My XChallenge is just lighter and faster.

If I bought one again (and believe me I've thought about it), I would do the following:
- NON ABS. Yes, you can switch it on and off, but it's a pain in the ass (hold button down for 10 seconds every time you start the bike) plus it's a shitty system (has switched on or NOT switched off a number of times with me). Heated grips are for sissies.
- chuck the bars, fit aftermarket bars, raisers and decent hand guards (here's where you'll be glad you went non-abs) - the bars are about as strong as noodles and the handguards are useless
- fit a better screen
- chuck the worthless dual pipe and put a leo vince on. You'll get much better throttle response plus a phenomenal weight saving
- put in a Unifilter air filter, this will help the lethargic throttle even more

Then you've got a winner on your hands, no doubt. Yes, it'll still be a little heavy, but it's only really an issue if you drop it ;)

Offline Jman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki XF650 Freewind
  • Ride the freewind like you stole it
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 07:46:14 pm »
After reading all the info and opinions on the Dakar, I think it is the perfect bike for you BigE, suites your riding style.  :thumleft:

Offline Big E

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Hou my BigE dop...ek wil vir jou trick wys
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 09:27:30 pm »
After reading all the info and opinions on the Dakar, I think it is the perfect bike for you BigE, suites your riding style.  :thumleft:
dit doen nogal ne jman en vd grootste downfalls wat genoem is, is dat jy langer as 1.8m moet wees en d xtra bietjie gewig moet kan hanteer!
Wel...ek is 6.5ft en d KLE wat 7kg swaarder is lig vi my, so ja, nou moet ek net soek vir goeie kopie
Nou kyk nou net waar het daai hond loop l!

Offline Padvark (ex Gee-S-rider)

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 09:51:21 pm »
What do you want the Dakar for? That would be the deciding factor - if you want a solid, reliable 650cc adventure tourer then the Dakar is hard to beat. If you want something you can throw around a bit as well, it's a little too heavy.

Pros:
- fuel economy
- bullet proof
- comfortable
- packing space

Cons:
- heavy
- slightly sluggish on the throttle
- expensive plastics
- wind protection

I often miss my Dakar, and it must be said that the only reason I sold it was because I was travelling less, and playing more. But for outrides, trips and commuting the Dakar was great. My XChallenge is just lighter and faster.

If I bought one again (and believe me I've thought about it), I would do the following:
- NON ABS. Yes, you can switch it on and off, but it's a pain in the ass (hold button down for 10 seconds every time you start the bike) plus it's a shitty system (has switched on or NOT switched off a number of times with me). Heated grips are for sissies.
- chuck the bars, fit aftermarket bars, raisers and decent hand guards (here's where you'll be glad you went non-abs) - the bars are about as strong as noodles and the handguards are useless
- fit a better screen
- chuck the worthless dual pipe and put a leo vince on. You'll get much better throttle response plus a phenomenal weight saving
- put in a Unifilter air filter, this will help the lethargic throttle even more

Then you've got a winner on your hands, no doubt. Yes, it'll still be a little heavy, but it's only really an issue if you drop it ;)

+1 on every point. Get on and ride around the world I never had a hickup in three years of ownership. Get the heated grips, it makes you use the bike much more in winter (or maybe I'm just a sissie).

Offline Christian Kuun

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 09:57:46 pm »
You wont regret it- GUARANTEED!!!

I have only had mine for a while and am enjoying it no end. Test rode all the others before buying but I was sold on the Dakkies height (I am tall too) comfort, seat, seating position, pillion seating, fuel economy, ABS, heated grips...ag what the hell, call it the whole package. Suspension could be tougher but then the ride would be harder. I have a 5 000 km ride in a week planned for Sep and am quite confident.
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 08:09:03 am »
FI!!  Need more be said?
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
    • Photography One on One
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 08:54:33 pm »
What must I be on the look-out for? I see theere are alot of them availible between R50-R60K with less than 10 000km on the clock!!!
Maybe down there--- None in good nick up for grabs here in Guateng. Bought a oil filter for mine today to do the 30k service and the Salesperson told me is looking for three for prospective clients. :o
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one -- ( All sold now- Bought camera equipment)
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA