Walkerville Rangers Barberton Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cono

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
The most difficult thing about this post, is that I am certain, there was a rule about the Barberton Trip, which happened over the long weekend of 12 to 16 June 2009.

The rule was " What happens in Barberton, Stays in Barberton".

However, I did take some pic's, which I will share, with a short story to each post, knowing that some WD's read and some look at pic's.

On the 11th I was off to load up my KLR 650 (take note a red one) at Marco's Workshop "M-Tech Auto" 3 Bikes to load, Marco's, Ryan's and Cono's.
B01.jpg

Marco, doing the "Italiano" look. The Don Marco of Barberton.
B02.jpg

The day's first ride, with Mike doing some serious "gate thingy". Bloody gate never stayed open long enough to get the bikes out. As many of the bikes had no license plates, we played it safe by loading up and going out to Sheba Mines.
B03.jpg

B04.jpg

Sheba Mine
B05.jpg

On the way to Sheba Mines, Ryan was so excited about the ride, he decided to get on the bike before the time.
B06.jpg

The view which took our breath away, knowing that for 3 days, we would be riding our bikes the way it was intended.
B07.jpg

B08.jpg

Anyone knowing the climate in this area, knows that in "winter" it is bloody hot up in these mountains. After arriving out of a wet and cold Johannesburg, this is heaven on earth.
B09.jpg

The famous Victoria Hotel high up on the hills. The Walkerville Rangers from left to right:
(1) Mike, (2) Graham (3) Phillip (4) Clint (5) Cono (6) Bokkie (from Nelspruit) (7) Marco (8) Ryan.
Missing from photo (9) Graham -Snr (10) Shaun.
B10.jpg

Doctor KLR (Graham) as always, going "green" a walking advert for KLR, without official sponsorship from KLR.
B11.jpg

The walls here can talk about some famous ladies, who strutted their stuff. So !! that's another bed time story for later.
B12.jpg

The Sheba Mines, fully operational. We rode down into the operational area between the workers, who were clearly excited to see some many riders in any one place.
B13.jpg

As always, words cannot explain the feeling of freedom, when crossing the paths through the mountains.
B14.jpg

B15.jpg

Green Bull, wondering about the slogan on his shirt "Make Me Dirty" Now, that's a another story, which will be sold to the higgest bidder, with some video footage.
B16.jpg

Just enjoy for now, next time ..well, just go with the Walkerville Rangers and see for yourself.
B17.jpg

B18.jpg

B19.jpg

B20.jpg

B21.jpg

B22.jpg

OK ..  so we said  "what happens in Barberton stays in Barberton".
But .... this will go down in history as the change from the B Team to the A Team.
The back riders, knowing as the B Team, decided to pull a bit of a move and are now known as the Walkerville Rangers - A Team. It is a esteemed position, also commonly known as the "Ambulance Team"
In the space of 3 minutes, 3 riders came down. Don't ask and you will not hear lies.
Marco, dumped his arse right there where he is sitting. A minutes before that Shaun, in the exact same spot also dumped his arse right where Marco is sitting and about a minute before that Clint, dropped his arse a little up the way.
Let's just say, it was caused by rider fatige ...you know, sitting in the pub the night before, impressing the BarGirl (you will see her later) and the mining locals with how many shooters they could down.
B23.jpg

The A Team. Clint, Shaun and Marco.
The next day, they never rode on bikes but rode for the A-bulance Team .
I had to immortalise the pic in black and white, so that it will never ever fade from anyone's memory.
B24.jpg

Like I said earlier ...temps where way into the 30's plus, so when Ryan, got a chance, he took the opportunity, to show-off his " milky white tits ". Scary sight, but it has to be posted.
Wild Dog Ladies, vote for your sexy rider of the year.
...... OK, you “other okkies” can also vote for Ryan .. we know you are drooling.
B25.jpg

I just cannot wait for the next trip.
B26.jpg

B27.jpg

B28.jpg

Sheba Valley Recreation Club and the main reason for the A Team opting to ride in the A-mbulance.
Teresa … cute …. sexy … happy BarGirl and nurse to our boys.
I still have no idea, why she would want to have her photo taken on Clint’s bike ???
B29.jpg

Our trip was so well planned, that we had the opportunity to visit the Geology Office and Museum, where our host went into great depth teaching us about mining history, after which he took us into the “first site” found by Edwin Bray.
We heard about illegal mining, we played with gold .. yes …. there is “real gold” in then hills. Millions of rands worth of gold, just laying around them hills.
There’s history, which I will post about Sheba Mine at a later stage. It’s truly amasing what Barberton is famous for, including being the very first Stock Exchange in South Africa.
B30.jpg

B31.jpg

In case you never believed we had a A-mbulance Team. Their wagon, “ a real Sani, you know Fannie.”
B32.jpg

As mentioned earlier, it was bloody hot in those mountains … sorry Phillip ..we have the ladies voting for the “sexy Walkerville Ranger”, so why the hell not ..let them also vote for your creamy white butt.
So …. If all goes according to plan, the 3rd sexy Walkerville Ranger photo may be posted soon. Rumour has it that an early morning, “balaclava streaker” may win the photo vote after all.
B33.jpg

With or without you girls and gals, I will be back in those mountains before the year ends. This time, it’s going to be the real Wild Dog in me doing the trip the way nature intended it. Sleeping bag, small bag of food, lot’s of hydrating or is booze de-hydrating fluids, my bike and me. God gave us all this and more and here we are sitting in front of our PC’s looking a pics, instead of going “real” time to see what it’s all about. Thanks Walkerville Rangers, for the best trip I have ever done so far in my life. OK…besides the trip called my Honeymoon. If you know what I mean.
B34.jpg

B35.jpg

B36.jpg

Like earlier said, there is some serious history in them hills. We were …you better believe in ghosts, I’m getting a cold shiver as I write this … accidentally stopped on a path which we had crossed at least twice the day before and again earlier that morning, when going down the mountain from “The Hell” and back up to “The Paradise”.

Our unexpected stop was at a grave site …of William Rae, his wife Jessie and daughter Ada Winnifred, who lost their lives on 16th June 1896, when the ship Drummond Castle was lost.
Our “unexpected stop” at this grave site was on 15th June 2009.

No…don’t go telling me you do not believe in the magic of the after-life.
Some-one or some-thing made us stop at this intersection of paths on the hills, so that we could pay tribute to this family and those lost on the Drummond Castle wreck.
The mailship RMS Drummond Castle, which foundered off Ushant on 16 June 1896. Altogether 251 lives were lost.

https://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=545
https://www.genealogyworld.net/ellen/drummond_b.htm
https://www.stgeorgescathedral.com/n-trans.html

B37.jpg

B38.jpg

The Walkerville Rangers loading up and ready for the return to Johannesburg.
B39.jpg

B40.jpg

B41.jpg

The forests of Mpumalanga after leaving Barberton towards Badplaas.
B42.jpg

B43.jpg

The adventure does not end, but only just begins. When doing a 5 day trip, with like-minded men, it brings a reality that we are mere mortals, governed by the laws, morals and those fantastic woman, we left back at home, who we know and trust will allow more trips such as this one.

This post is a dedication to our wives and girlfriends, who allow us to be boys all over again, knowing very well, that if they do not allow our next trip, well fck them, we will do it again anyway, with or without their permission.

We will missed our ladies, ….. but you know what … with  Phillip in the kitchen,  Ryan giving us the “kakkest joke on the trip”,  Marco, the “Italian Stallion” organising the Sheba Valley Bar,  Mike doing the braai,  Graham (Doctor KLR) doing the bike maintenance,  Clint getting the entire staff of the Phoenix Hotel to prepare steaks and chips,  Graham –Snr, making sure we were updated on cricket and soccer scores,    Shaun, for giving us a great laugh, when he saw his bike lose some parts and lastly for our best buddy from Nelspruit,  Bokkie, who negotiated the area like a real PRO, getting us through the security gates and making sure we would never get lost, we all had a great trip of a life-time.

We Love All You Babes … hope you had a great time at home, while the boys were out playing with their toys.

And to Chuck Norris our Texas Ranger, we know you will be posting your photo’s soon.