Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Pepper spray on bike?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline VMAN

• Deleted Users
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Pretoria East
Pepper spray on bike?
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:24:43 am »
I saw a KTM with a can of pepper spray attached just behind the screen.

Anyone else have something like this?

Not sure how it was attached, having to cut cableties, it would take too long to be able to use it.
BMW R1200 GS
BMW F650 GS

Offline funduro

Re: Pepper spray on bike?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:37:20 am »
I dont think it will be affective in scaring the other bikes away
Don't slow me down.

Offline wimpie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:36:40 am »
I carry a small canister in my tankbag. The main reason for this is that I always travel alone.
Die honde lek mekaar se wonde

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 09:37:57 am »
Kak idea. How are you going to get hold of it when the shit (unexpectedly) descends on you?

Like my father in law who got 'relieved' of a Z88 years ago in Bloem - the pistol was INSIDE a briefcase that was lying on the passenger seat... JC!  >:(

We live in a security estate and everytime I have to stop at gate, take out remote and go throught the whole process I vloek a lot. I've also nearly donnered over quite a few times.  ;D

I can only imagine how futile the said subject's attempts at reaching for his pepper spray is going to be. Rather gee it some throttle and drop the clutch. That's the same reason I don't pack heat on the bike - you simply cannot access your pistol. Other reasons include pistol injuring you when you fall and in case of crash when you lose consciousness, pistol will be donated to affirmative shoppers.

Bikers can only cause kak once off their bikes. I hope non-biking criminals never find out how vulnerable we are on our bonies.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:39:16 am by Jacko »
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Doringboom

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 10:04:58 am »
Kak idea. ........

Ek dink ook so :P Plak eerder maar 'n "protected by Psalm 91" plakker op jou windskerm as 'n afskrik-ornament vir jou belangrik is. As jy aan die verkeerde kant van die wind van jou eie pepersproei is, dan gaan jy self 'suffer' >:D - dis nou as jy sover gaan kom om die ding te spuit!

shark_za

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 10:07:59 am »
Its for dogs people...

You could have time to react.

Offline wimpie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 10:15:15 am »
I do not carry it to use while I am riding. Die Dakar se windskerm is so k*k dit gaan in elke geval alles in jou gesig waai  >:(. I like to have it on the bike for when you stop in remote places next to the road or at shops in town. Even in Namibia the tourists gets robbed. Hier is ook wolwe en tiers.
Die honde lek mekaar se wonde

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 10:24:08 am »
most pepper spray cans have a metal clip which enables one to clip it to a clutch or brake cable.
i personally have sewed a piece of webbing to my camelbak shoulderstrap for my pepper spray.

i always have it on when i go cycling because i ride alone in the veld most of the time and i ride past atleast two squatter camps.
i practice grabbing it at leat once during a ride - that way it is second nature when you need it.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:45:27 am »
If you have enough time to stop, draw pepper spray and release it, you have enough time to get away.

Pepper spray cannot stop rocks.  ;)

Use your noodle and carry a kettie.  >:D

Or ask JohanGPS about his magnet with nuts on his bike. Ready for a quick draw, aim and fire.  >:D
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline lecap

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:54:28 am »
Only time I found pepper spray to be highly effective was when jobbing as a postman during school holidays. Only drawing the can made the mutts run for cover :biggrin:

Use your noodle and carry a kettie.  >:D

Cattie works very well as first line defence to protect lunch from thievish baboons at Cape Point too. They start running as soon as they see the cattie having been conditioned by the park rangers.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:58:06 am »
Interesting comments

I have a can of MACE velcro'd to my handlebars - been there years

THEN, in Moz on our recent trip we nearly had to use it.
We got into the town late and promptly got lost. After much up and down we ended up in a dead end. It was just after dusk and the crowd was "difficult". It's not easy turning a heavily loaded Adventure bike around, and with a pillion on. All the while the crowd was tugging and pulling on our kit - hands everywhere, pulling at our jackets and camelbaks.

I ripped the MACE off the handlebars and handed it to my wife. The monkeys saw what I was doing and backed off. This gave us the split second we needed to get away.
We never actually used it, and maybe had we used it, it would have made the matter even worse - however it worked on that occasion.
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:19:02 am »
Interesting comments

We got into the town late and promptly got lost. After much up and down we ended up in a dead end. It was just after dusk and the crowd was "difficult". It's not easy turning a heavily loaded Adventure bike around, and with a pillion on. All the while the crowd was tugging and pulling on our kit - hands everywhere, pulling at our jackets and camelbaks.

I ripped the MACE off the handlebars and handed it to my wife. The monkeys saw what I was doing and backed off. This gave us the split second we needed to get away.
We never actually used it, and maybe had we used it, it would have made the matter even worse - however it worked on that occasion.

Okay, I admit, you have a good point. I'll conced that.

But would your mace have been of any use if you were alone on the bike? I think not. Especially in those circumstances. Getting out of there would've been your only option.

With a passenger on the back an ASP baton or Glock becomes even better. Like the two-man crew of a gunship... :biggrin:

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:04 am »
Interesting comments

Okay, I admit, you have a good point. I'll conced that.

But would your mace have been of any use if you were alone on the bike? I think not. Especially in those circumstances. Getting out of there would've been your only option.

With a passenger on the back an ASP baton or Glock becomes even better. Like the two-man crew of a gunship... :biggrin:

hahaha
I like that

Double glock would be even better
One on each side - like the spitfires of old

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 12:00:34 pm »
.357 - 1 shot in each leg should give you enough time.

They throw stones... i throw bullets... Lets hope they dont return fire.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 12:04:42 pm »
most pepper spray cans have a metal clip which enables one to clip it to a clutch or brake cable.
i personally have sewed a piece of webbing to my camelbak shoulderstrap for my pepper spray.

i always have it on when i go cycling because i ride alone in the veld most of the time and i ride past atleast two squatter camps.
i practice grabbing it at leat once during a ride - that way it is second nature when you need it.

HAHAHA jou bang gat!  :imaposer:

Offline AndriesZ

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 01:49:54 pm »
Ja 'n mens moet seker daai goed in Gauteng dra hier in die wes Kaap waar ek woon staan die ry goed nog oop met die sleutel binne in. My huis staan ook oop het nie eers 'n draad voor die huis nie net 'n afgetreede hond wat agter die son aan trek. Was weg vir die naweek my bakkie staan oop agter my huis. Dis nog lekker maar die k@k kom seker nog.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 02:49:46 pm »
Funny how dogs run away if you spray them with a water pistol as well  ::)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 03:55:32 pm »

I rekkin he keeps it there to keep his mistresses husbands (on the left), at bay.

Offline EssBee

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 08:49:20 pm »
I agree with those that criticise having something like that and it's not IMMEDIATELY accesible. And if you're going to use it, use it farking properly, don't just piss your would-be attacker off! I carry mine when mtb'ing, but I must admit I should have had it on Sunday afternoon on my solo ride.

Offline malJohann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 03:41:28 pm »
i personally have sewed a piece of webbing to my camelbak shoulderstrap for my pepper spray...

Mine is on the chest strap of my backpack (also with the metal clip), which I always use when I'm on the bike. I bought it for the dogs and any other occasion that may require it.
Don't waste any more time.

Rides:
2005 Suzuki Raider 150