800 or 1200GS - What do I do ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What shall I get - ATM is not an option

• Total voters

Rone

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I have the opportunity to get either
1) 2009 model 800GS  with extras & remainder of warranty & roadside assist - 7500km
2) 2007 model 1200 with lots of extras 28000km

Both at more or less the same price. Except that I have to travel to Cape town to get the 1200 and by the time I'm back It'l be due for a service (extra cost)

My head says 1200 my heart says 800.

Has anybody out there made the wrong decision in this regard and will admit to it ???

Everybody with a 800 says I cannot go wrong, yet the same goes for the oaks with the 1200. They recon it is a mistake going for the 800 as I will not have it long before it is upgrade time to the 1200 again. so waste the money.

I will not be doing anything really technical with either. (Dirt roads yes - the size of the 1200 intimidates me here - is it anything to worry about)
My wife rides a lot with me & loves going to rallies (we carry our own luggage - 1200 ideal ??? ).

I use my bike as day to day transport in the traffic ( how does the big 1200 with air cooled motor handle this - and again the size of the 1200 is a concern)

Due to the cost involved of becoming a poser it looks like I will be selling the KLR as well - so no comuter to fall back on.

I'm confused and need some direction --- as this time I'm being led by who is going to drop their price the most