Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sit up and Beg the Exploits of XRV-Boy, Episode 3. Die Kaalgat Kudu!!  (Read 1730 times)

Offline XRV-Boy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
The needle krept past the 5000 rpm mark as I twisted the ear of the XRV, hunched low over the bars I slid out from behind the truck, up into 5th, the purr of the twin becoming a growl as the speedo registered 140km/h. Then sillence, no wind , no truck wheels grinding the tar next to me. Just nothingness, Rider and Bike hunched low over the road, moving swiflty next to the big 18 wheeler. The needle touched 160 as I slid past the cab of the truck and was spat out into the open road ahead.

We had left at around 11 that morning after a brief stop at KTM CT to pick up a new helmet for my cousin and a pair of riding pants for myself, The plan was simple- at this stage there was not one.

My cousin had to return to Wilderness with the police bike that honda george had loaned him and I for lack of a better idea desided to join him on the trip up the coast, heading up the N1 through the tunnel, (a little tip for the future, dont wear sunglasses while going trough the tunnel, 1- You CANT see ANTHING and 2- you CANT see ANYTHING). through to swellendam and then on to the N2 to George and Wilderness. The ride up had been pretty univentfull apart from the bit through the tunnel and one or two trucks that refused to remove themselves from the fast lane, I had tried my best to keep up with my cousins white 189km/h police commet and hadd ridenw ith him until george, It is here that my adventure began..

Look matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and Im looking at one right now!

Offline XRV-Boy

• Race Dog
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
From George I headed towards oudtshorn, going over the outeniqua pass where I was joined by a polite toot and a friendly wave of a rider on a KTM 990 who blitzed past me as we where heading down the pass, the expanse of wilderness lying bellow and around me, it was truly breathtaking.

The sun had begun its leasurely desent as I reached oudtshorn for a quick feul stop, then it was on to De Rust where I was to spend the evening with a friend of mine from varsity, the next day we were to takle the oysterfestival via the back roads.

After meeting up with Andries and his GS 1150 it was desided that liquid refreshment was in order, now for those of you that did not know this there is in fact a Bar on De Rust, This fine establishment is know as Die Kaalgat Kudu, and what a Place it turned out to be. we ended up only leaving at around 11 after playing what became a mini pool tournament/ mampoer drinking competision with some of the locals, The next day we where subsequintly subdued and a small hangover recovery program had to be implemented, never the less we left De Rust at around 10 and headed to Knysna via the Dirt back roads between De Rust and Knysna, reaching Knysna at around half past 2 just in time for a cold windhoek and the rugby.

Day 3 had begun with the rather alarming decision that we where to ride into Die hell, So back to OUdshorn we rode, however apon reacdhing the petrol station in Oudtshorn the plan was changed so that now we would ride the Swartberg Pass and on to Prins Albert.

The pass itself is just past the Kango Caves on the outskirts of Oudtshorn, a beautiful dirt road heading up and over the Swartberg Mountain range and then back down into Prins Albert.

I had riden the pass once before but never on a Bike, it was breathtaking, the valley reealed itself to us as we switchbacked up the dirt pass, with nothing but the sound of our engines reverbarating against the kopjies and valleys of the mountain. In some places bits of snow could still be seen.
Look matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and Im looking at one right now!

Offline XRV-Boy

• Race Dog
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
Still further up we rode, slowly taking in what was to become for me the lattitude of sillence. We reached the top and after a quick break headed down the other side of the pass, the Twin rumbeling happily as I manovered her through the bends and kinks in the road. standing on the pegs for a better view ahead I noticed the first of two water crossings coming to meet me. Down into first, stand up, look up and open up. the water rushed around the bike and the next instant we where through, streeming water as the tires bit back into the gravel. once, twice and out the other end we went.

Offline XRV-Boy

• Race Dog
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
Once through the water crossings the road continued to lead us downwards towards Prins Albert, the mountain and the gourges inveloped us as we continued to desend towards our destination, reaching the Prins Albert 17 km later and enjoying a well deserved Breakfast at the Hotel.

Offline XRV-Boy

• Race Dog
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
From the Hotel we headed back to De Rust via another dirt road which ran for around 50km and came out at Klaarstroom, It was on this dirt road that I was to almost have a head on collision with an imbisil in a white taxi.

We had taken the turn off from Prins Albert about half an hour ago and I was enjoying opening up the Bike on the much flatter open dirt than that of the restricted tight Swartberg Pass, Andries had ridden ahead of me and I was cruising at around 80km/h through the dirt and the ocasional driffie when I noticed a white Taxi heading towards me, However this taxi was on the wrong side of the road and probably traveling at around 110, still heading straight for me, at around 400m he was still in my lane, I hooted and flashed but to no avail, The white Hi ACE kept its trajectory. at this point I took matters into my own hands and swerved into the right hand lane, standing up at the same time and opening up the throttle to give the tires more grip in the now loose sand, as I crossed over to the right lane with the white Hi Ace now meters away the rear tire hit a patch of corrogations which cuased the bike to shudder and lose its grip on the gravel, the next thing I knew I was sideways almost drifting the bike around the taxi as if I had been a flat track racer, I have n Idea how I kept the bike under control but only that my guardian angels where with me during those moments while the taxi and its ablivios occupent blits past me, still in the wrong lane. After I had got the bike under control I slowed down and stopped. Just rested everything and tried to get my hands to stop shaking.

After around 15 minutes I set off again and I had a thankfully univentfull ride bak to De Rust via the Meirigs Poort.

I left De Rust at arounf 9 This morning and traveled via route 62 back to the Cape where I arived at about 4 this afternoon, It was the first long ride that I had done and I can say without a doubt that it will remain with me for the rest of my life :thumleft:

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Baie nice trip. Ek like jou AT. :thumleft:

Offline XRV-Boy

• Race Dog
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
Thanks Miepels, ek het hom baie geniet :thumleft:

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
Lekker report... and your writing style...  :thumleft: 
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
 :thumleft: lekker report

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DL650 - The Magic Touch
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
Nice!  :thumleft:
Ride reports, books and more on my website.
http://www.leondekock.com/
Building Plans - A Concise reference
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1093937
https://books.apple.com/us/book/x/id1576543716

Offline briv

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
Re: Sit up and Beg the Exploits of XRV-Boy, Episode 3. Die Kaalgat Kudu!!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 07:17:43 pm »
Lekker XRV  :thumleft: watse spots is daai  ???
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
Yamaha AG 100. Honda XR200. Yamaha XS11.  KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS, Honda CRF 1000, Yamaha
XT 660 Z.
is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)

Offline XRV-Boy

• Race Dog
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 07:30:30 pm »
Thanks Briv, dis touratech spots, hulle werk nogal lekker maar moet net nie hulle proebeer an sit as die bike nie gestart is nie, battery sal in 5 minute pap wees :ricky:

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 07:35:57 pm »
Nice report!

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:58:00 am »
Mooi so XRV-boy, nou is jou ride report virgin ook daarmee heen  :biggrin:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline XRV-Boy

• Race Dog
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 11:22:15 am »
Mooi so XRV-boy, nou is jou ride report virgin ook daarmee heen  :biggrin:

ek het al 2 voorheen gedoen maar hierdie is die eerste lang een :thumleft:

Offline Klomper (RIP)

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • RIP - 3 April 2013
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 09:44:27 am »
Nice one boy!
wanneer gan drink ons daai bier by Krige's?

Offline XRV-Boy

• Race Dog
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 12:41:21 pm »
Nice one boy!
wanneer gan drink ons daai bier by Krige's?

waneer jy nie by die werk vasdraai nie  :thumleft:

Offline Lighthouse Keeper

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Lighthouse
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 02:00:02 pm »
Reading your RR was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!
I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 03:58:48 pm »
Jy kan lekker skryf! Mooi fotos ook!

Baie dankie!

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 05:04:21 pm »
Very nice report XRV.  Thanks.