Yes, another "what bike" thread, keep my XChallenge, or sell it and buy a XR650?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes

• Total voters

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Yes I know, I know... not this sh*t again  :deal:

Here's the deal though - I've had my XChallenge for about a year now. As an overall package, I'm pretty happy with it - the engine is smooth, power is good (nice torquey motor) and the handling is superb. Even the air shock works well (but gives hassles, as you're about to see). The ergonomics are great, and I've added a few little extras that's really brought it into it's own such as raisers, folding mirrors, and a lekker Leo Vince zorst. I love it, and it meets all my requirements (except 1 which you will see below).

The problem is, I don't trust it. Since I've bought it:

- the ignition has failed (replaced under warranty)
- the air shock has sprung a leak (replaced under warranty, apparently this is the bike's 3rd shock, previous owner had it replaced as well)
- the petrol light doesn't work (need to get it replaced, probably warranty)
- the spark plug coil failed (replaced under warranty)
- fuel ignition mangement software whatsits had to be reset / upgraded to sort out the idling and the bike dying (warranty)
- the rims are all dinged up, and the front rim is out of alignment with all the spokes seized
- the wheel bearings and chain roller bearings need to be replaced (ok, wear and tear I guess)

You will notice 1 word cropping up over and over again: warranty. The problem is, that warranty expires in February! I have to ask myself the question - when that warranty is gone, if anything else happens, how the hell am I going to pay for it? BMW parts ain't exactly cheap! If the air shock fails again, that's it! I will need to cough up either 10k for the OEM unit (not going to happen), more than that for an Ohlins or similar, or, at least, sub R10k for a MP unit. I simply don't have that sort of money. In other words - I would be royally screwed.

On top of that, the other big issue I have is fuel. The only fuel solution I consider practical (I am not a fan of the "slap some onto the right hand side like a pannier" method) is the Touratech tank. The Touratech tank costs over R10k. Are you kidding me? Simply not going to happen. Sure, I could slap a jerry can or fuel bladder on, but come on, there's little enough packing space on the X as it is!

Enter the XR... here's a bike that is apparently cheap to maintain (DIY style) and even cheaper to "bling" (go to www.xrsonly.com - amazing how easily and affordably you can do ANYTHING to these bikes to suit your needs). According to justgastanks.com, the very popular and ample Acerbis 23l tank goes for $309!! The list goes on, it's simply not going to break the bank when it comes to maintenance or farkling (unless you get carried away of course). At least that's my perception... I could be wrong. At the very least, I won't have the stress of "o no what if my shock fails outside of warranty" (or ignition, or coil, or anything).

As a bonus, it's also lighter and faster than the XChallenge (according to motorcyclespecs.co.za). It has somewhat of a cult status, is loved by many, and, I'll be honest, I have an itch to own one (just to know what it feels like). Plus I get a semi every time I see one...

The kick start is a big deal to me though. a happy button just has a lovely sense of, let's see, practicality? convenience? but really, is kick start that bad? I dunno... I used to kick start my Honda Express 50cc, so it's hardly a fair comparison  :mwink:

what to do?

Let's start by listing my requirements... (this is how I see my riding for the next 2 years or so):

during the week:
I work from home, but have clients all over. 2 - 3 times a week I need to see these clients, on those days I do between 50 and 80 km a pop depending who I go see. plus if I need to pop down to the shops or run a quick errand, it's on the bike

on the weekends:
on a friday afternoon, I pop down to Kriges for a pint (very important, as the bling factor of the bike plays a role... will I be laughed at, or deeply respected when I arrive?). then on every other weekend, I go for a ride. These rides can be anything including a morning spent jolling in the quarry, maybe some sandy tracks or a stop in at Atlantis, some easy, open gravel mixed in with some tar as a relaxed "breakfast run", or something along the lines of XT660's famous "alternative routes", consisting of gravel, tweespoor, railway service roads, the odd single track, mud and water. "weekend warrior" type stuff. I go on these rides to have fun though, not be the fastest... I also want to start doing "funduros" like the Goudinie one that Uiltjie's son organised earlier this year...

occasionally:
I'm planning 4 or 5 trips over the next 2 years. A 4-5 day Cape, Southern Cape, Baviaans type trip, a couple of weekends away, a 12-16 day Lesotho, Eastern Cape, Kwazulu Natal type trip, and hopefully a Namibia trip

So, based on those requirements, I see the pros and cons of each bike as follows:

XChallenge pros:
- engine is bulletproof
- handles well in tighter stuff
- nicely setup ergonomically (pegs to bars, etc, nice riding position, very comfortable)
- Happy button
- 10 000km service intervals
- good fuel economy

XChallenge cons:
- electrics and other stuff ARE NOT bulletproof
- rear shock could die any day now
- fuel range - solutions are impractical or costly
- moerofa hard seat
- weak subframe
- weak rims
- expensive to fix things that can go wrong

XR Pros:
- bulletproof engine
- cheap to maintain
- easy to farkle
- legendary status
- powerful (is that really a pro, or am I just going to feel overwhelmed?)

XR Cons / questions (I haven't ridden it, so there's a lot of speculation):
- kickstart
- apparently the brakes are a little weak
- apparently the suspension is spongey (but easy to sort out, so not really a con)
- does it handle as well as the XCHallenge? will it enjoy a narrow trail, or is it just a straight-line weapon? I don't have the skill to "steer with the back wheel"
- tire life expectancy is not good
- heavy on juice

The bottom line... if I can sell my X for what I owe on it (not telling, but it should be doable), I will have about R56 000 to use for a XR. This includes the bike, and any farkling for the next while. And I am seriously considering it...

But

I'd like to hear from the dogs... so... 3, 2, 1 GO!!