Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What Mud Monster?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
What Mud Monster?
« on: November 06, 2006, 08:25:35 am »
The search for the Mud Monster started at 8 from the Engen just past the Harties dam wall. Out to find it was Shark, Welshie, Blouvark, Journeyman, Klippies and me. We took the canal roads, but the sun had got there first and there was very little mud around, so we stopped for smoke break.

We found a few pools along the way to give the bikes that muddy look, but I didn't get any pictures of that. Someone else will surely post pics of that. Our next stop was at the Bafana Bafana Tavern for a quick beer and a chat with the chief to ask permission.

Here's Klippies thinking: Do I really have to ride with these old toppies?

What was a great newbie run, then turned into something completely different. If we don't have mud, why not go find the Sand Monster!!!

What then followed was a sandy slippery twee spoor pad through the bushes to some obscure dry river bed that Sharky knows. Here's JM on a easy stretch.

Followed by the real old toppie that CAN ride a pig.

I think the reason I didn't take pictures in the muddy sections was that I didn't want to be the first to fall. That honor goes to Klippies, who got caught by the middel mannetjie and damaged his Pig's flicker a little. Quick repairs done at the next smoke stop.

And then it was SAND, not beach sand, river sand. Soft, no grip and churned up by the Kwatters that come roaring through every so often.

Klippies again, this time smoking the rear wheel in search of traction.

Blouvark got stuck as well. And typical of a Wilddog Rider, everyone goes for the camera first before helping. We had to drag that Pig out the river by hand.

This was to become what we did the rest of the morning, dragging Pigs and KLR's around in the sand.

Sharky showing how it should be done. Looks easy? Yeah, right...

After falling and sukkeling I decided to hide. The green is not the best bush cammo...

Welshie was most impressive with that big heavy Pig.

The area away from the dreaded Sand Monster was actually quite beautiful. Here's Shark and Klippies waiting for the rest to catch up on a liaison stage.

Seeking shade on hot day. Dirty bugger.

And then it was back into the river. I was too hot and tired to attempt the sand again, so I stayed well clear of that monster. Here's my first attempt at a 'Picture in the mirror'

What a day! Taught me a lot, but it'll be months of practice before I will be anything near comfortable in sand. Thanx to Shark for the ride and the advice. That's what makes this forum the best!
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:38:40 am »
Awesome guys, I am really pissed that I could not go with, hopefully next time. This leg is just taking too long to come right....

Come on the rest of you lets see your pics
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:00:03 am »
Well, I was waiting for Groenie to start this thread, but the slacker only posted now.

I unwittingly had my camera on video a couple of times not still so a bit of a vark up.

Anyway, bright and early (yes Shark was late) we all had breakfast at the Wimpy, as usual we were starting off at other peoples destination, but anyway we had Funacide there just for breakfast showing off his "gash" and Amstel, both of who could not make the ride.

Off we went on a beautiful dry morning to find the Mud Monster.

Somewhat sceptical so we found dust.

Traces of the Mud Man,

The canal tracks were dry and dusty, so unlike last year, Shark was already muttering about the riverbed and was being politely told to Vark off.

It was quite a gentile scenic ride, with me playing sweeeper but with little to do.

The mandatory smoke breaks, even without Funacide were evident.

There had been mud during the week but not much left.

Another smoke break, these boys are health nuts?

We did not find mud, but we found water, as sweeper you dont get much chance to catch the action shots, but a wet and muddy pig, at 40kph.

An early morning refreshment, with lots of LOUD MUSIC!!! THis was where Shark achieved acceptance of his River Bed plan.

This colour green was brighter than the KLR!!! maybe we will find mud.

Smokebreak, just after Klippies put the 1100 down, only a broken indicator lens clip, though.

Quite scenic, but I knew what was coming.

It looks quite innocent, but turn right into the river bed and grunt.

Sharking cruising along,

Blouvark already worried.

Not a bad start, but not up on the pegs.

And off goes the Dakar,

As you can see, the sand is trying to get a grip on the DAkar, just staying on top??

No stand required,

No not a smoke break, the boys were tired!!!!!!!

Groenie man down!!

The Dakar in a dead end in the rocks

we may not have found mud, but the Pig was looking as it should, I lost a bolt from the screen, hence the insulation tape.

Believe me, the beers went down well later!!!

Welsh :D  :D  :D  :D
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 09:19:55 am »
Yeah. No or little mud. Most of the mud we did encounter we were able to expertly navigate around it. :roll:  :oops:  :lol:

Welshie is a mad buff. He rides level 2 sections and whilst riding burrows for his camera in his jacket and start taking pics, one hand whilst navigating through two track trails! 8)

We had a great time. I had more excersize yesterday than the whole of the year combined. :shock:  :oops:

As always, I came away a bit of a better rider than before the trip. Valuable practising time spend in sand. (I did manage to go short distances standing up but more often than not my lac of skills resulted im me opting for the "paddle")

Also some lekker "bike 4x4 track" with steep up's and down's with varying entries, mid-sections and exits. 1st gear stuff.

I'll post pics later.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 09:40:55 am »
Great pics and report, now post the rest.  Will definitely join you soon as I can, need the sand and mud experience and learning.
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline klippies

mud trip
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 10:11:19 am »
Hi Guys

Thanks for the pics and a great trip, we should do this more often!

Cheers
ubbel klippies en coke asb.
R1100GS - CZP199GP

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 10:20:40 am »
Thanks to everyone for the ride, for me it was the best one yet.

It was a lot of fun going through some of those puddles, some were +/- 3 to 4 meters long & covered the width of the road. I got BlouVark & me completely wet with water spraying over my helmet (& inside). :D  Loved it. Sadly it was the closest we got to any mud.

The riverbed was quite an experience but after getting my bike stuck for the third time, my lack of skill & fitness got the better of me. The GS is damn heavy to pull out of sand & saps the energy(that'smy excuse & I'm sticking to it :D  :oops: ). Shark took my GS for a spin in the sand & made it look so easy, I actually felt very inferior :oops:  :? My only consolation was that at least I did not have a tumble. :? :D

When is the next ride?
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 10:21:32 am »
great going guys! hats off to you welsh - courage or stupidity? :D  
ps keep on taunting the mud monster... :twisted:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 10:33:26 am »
Quote from: "wino"
great going guys! hats off to you welsh - courage or stupidity? :D  
ps keep on taunting the mud monster... :twisted:

Great big dollops of Stupidity and a total lack of Common Sense.

Welsh  :D  :D  :D
An aspiring Coddiwompler

shark_za

What Mud Monster?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 10:57:59 am »
In some peoples case GS = Groot Stene , ie Big Stones.

The rain was evident from the green bushveld, its looking lovely out there again.
Everyone got that little bit better at deep sand and had a jol, even the cultural classic of Black Label Quarts was appreciated.

We wont talk about my stall riding up the bank and the subsequent jump off the bike to land back in the riverbed on my ass. At least the sand was soft.

Offline Grootseun

What Mud Monster?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 11:02:04 am »
Nice one dudes...really sorry i missed this one again....great going.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 11:10:42 am »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"

I'll post pics later.

It,s Later!!!

Welsh  :D  :D
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 11:23:44 am »
Quote from: "African Welsh"
Quote from: "JourneyMan"

I'll post pics later.

It,s Later!!!

Welsh  :D  :D

Almost there. Stop bugging me. :evil:  :wink:  :D

Offline Grootseun

What Mud Monster?
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 11:25:25 am »
tick-tock-tick-tock-tick-tock

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 11:54:39 am »
Jeebers! Monday morning madness. Business and posting pics.

Will have to do it in sessions.

First one.

At Wimpy. Nice to see new faces and riding for the first time with others as well. Pity about Funacide?s leg but thanks for pitching and having a brekkie with us. Same to Amstel. That leg still looks very sore. :shock:

From Wimpy the canal route. Very easy with no mud. Was starting to think that Shark?s proposal for river bed maybe not too bad an idea since I was mentally prepared for struggeling today. :?

First smoke break. Standing around and hoping the bad section ahead will give us what we came searching for. :P

Groot Swart Vark

Not to be.  :(

On towards the riverbed then. Some water. Klippies confessed later he almost lost it there.

Shark

Welshie

Groenie

Blouvark (Sorry :oops: )

Klippies

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 11:57:04 am »
PS: Groenie. Use this free Image Editor to resize your pics. :wink:

Irfan View. Just Google it.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 12:35:16 pm »
We arrived at the village at The Klip and decided to have a cold one at the local "tavern" and Shark wanted to have a chat with the chief to get permission to go ride his terrain.

Music was ridiculously loud with speakers pointing in all directions. Shark went to have a chat with the chief and he came down to join us. Nice guy and very interested in the bikes. He confimed that the majority of riders do not have the courtesy to speak with him and he is having his hand full to prevent locals from stringing wires. :shock:

Is is so easy actually. Just a chat. He invited us go camping there near his village. Must do a over-night there.

First time in a long, long time that I had a quart (?). Ice, ice cold! :P

Welshie and Shark doing what they do best! :twisted:

From there on to the river bed. Two track trail with some deep ruts and dodging thorn tree branches.

Resting.

As you can see, the valie land starting to get greener after the first rains.

BV obviously thinking not enough rain has come down and doing his bit to get the greenery going.

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 12:47:47 pm »
:twisted: Just because you missed me going through one puddle, does'nt mean you have to take a pic while I make a puddle.
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 01:19:45 pm »
Then the more serious stuff.

Shark led us into an "interesting" little muddy section with just one exit: Once you reach the exit, your bike is about 50cm below ground level with the backwheel solidly in mud and the exit a rocky piece next to some serious looking thorn three branches. All made it through OK.

Me, Welshie and Groenie then managed to not follow the rest and ended up going over The Klip's baby brother and found them on the other side. Lekker first gear riding over the rock with concentration levels high. No pics.

Then the riverbed. One by one we went. Slip, sliding away. This section wasn't long but  tree branches/trees meant you had to concentrate not only only staying on the bike only. Every now and then you had to go up the bank to get pass a section blocked by trees.

BV's blue pig deciding he's going to give his master a hard time today!
Man, those pig's are heavy! :shock:

Welshie doing sand and bundu bashing. I wondered afterwards how he got through that. I struggled to get my frame and bike through that! :twisted:

Klippies gunning it. That 1100 sounds good!

Groenie doing his thing. Heavy work this.

Shark showing us how it must be done.  :P

Groenie down!

This section you had to take care of the tree branches again and then turn 90% right. Groenie did it standing up but then lost it trying to turn in that sand. I had a hard time to tell him to wait for me to get the camera out before picking up the bike, so he decided to take a rest as well. :lol:

After the turn, you go a few meteres on and then a dead end with quite a steep but cool exit.

Welshie coming through.

Dakar in it's natural invironment. Take note you posers! :twisted: Get out there and ride!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
What Mud Monster?
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 02:11:35 pm »
After this we had an "extended" rest session. It really shows one in what bad/good (mostly bad) physical condition one is. :oops:

Resting

GSV also resting

Shark took a stint on BV's pig in the sand. Awesome but by his own admission very heavy work on the pigs.

"Better" sand than the first stretch. Yeah. As if it helped. :roll:

Klippies ready to go again.

From there up and around to the next section.

Welshie did absolutely fabulous on the pig. Standing the whole way and looking the part, showing us how it must be done. In the end GSV decided to bring his master back to earth! :twisted:
Look at him waving his finger, admonishing poor old GSV. hehe. Not really. Pic just came out that way.

I decided to quickly take a pic of Dakkie while the rest go down the river again.

After the pics, I've lost sight of the rest but could hear them doing their thing. I decided to go down the bed again and follow which I assumed was Shark's tracks in the river bed. I came across this.

Well, on I go but only to find that the river bed narrows into a dead end with rocks all around. Not an exit for JM and the Dakar. Maybe Shark and the KDX might have a go. For a split second I considered it because the other option is trying to turn the bike around in a section not wide enough for the Dakar to fit sideways in. :shock:

Luckily the rest came looking for me and Groenie helped me drag the bike 180 degrees and I found an exist a few meters back.

On this section I inflicted the first serious scrapes and the Dakar's bash plate.

From there some technical 1st gear riding. Up's and downs with various inclines, mid-sections and exit's.

After that back to the village and then the quickist way to the dam for a few well earned beers!

The level 1 dirt to the dam was very welcome!

BV managed to go through this one particular pool with his visor wide open. He stopped immediately to clean his glasses as he got the spray all over and inside his helmet! :lol:

Thanks for the ride guys. Was fun and want to do it again!