What Mud Monster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groenie

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
The search for the Mud Monster started at 8 from the Engen just past the Harties dam wall. Out to find it was Shark, Welshie, Blouvark, Journeyman, Klippies and me. We took the canal roads, but the sun had got there first and there was very little mud around, so we stopped for smoke break.

sand1.JPG

We found a few pools along the way to give the bikes that muddy look, but I didn't get any pictures of that. Someone else will surely post pics of that. Our next stop was at the Bafana Bafana Tavern for a quick beer and a chat with the chief to ask permission.

sand3.JPG

Here's Klippies thinking: Do I really have to ride with these old toppies?

sand5.JPG

What was a great newbie run, then turned into something completely different. If we don't have mud, why not go find the Sand Monster!!!

What then followed was a sandy slippery twee spoor pad through the bushes to some obscure dry river bed that Sharky knows. Here's JM on a easy stretch.

sand8.JPG

Followed by the real old toppie that CAN ride a pig.

sand9.JPG

I think the reason I didn't take pictures in the muddy sections was that I didn't want to be the first to fall. That honor goes to Klippies, who got caught by the middel mannetjie and damaged his Pig's flicker a little. Quick repairs done at the next smoke stop.

sand10.JPG

And then it was SAND, not beach sand, river sand. Soft, no grip and churned up by the Kwatters that come roaring through every so often.

Klippies again, this time smoking the rear wheel in search of traction.

sand11.JPG

Blouvark got stuck as well. And typical of a Wilddog Rider, everyone goes for the camera first before helping. We had to drag that Pig out the river by hand.

sand12.JPG

sand13.JPG

This was to become what we did the rest of the morning, dragging Pigs and KLR's around in the sand.

Sharky showing how it should be done. Looks easy? Yeah, right...

sand14.JPG

After falling and sukkeling I decided to hide. The green is not the best bush cammo...

sand15.JPG

Welshie was most impressive with that big heavy Pig.

sand17.JPG

The area away from the dreaded Sand Monster was actually quite beautiful. Here's Shark and Klippies waiting for the rest to catch up on a liaison stage.

sand18.JPG

Seeking shade on hot day. Dirty bugger.

sand20.JPG

And then it was back into the river. I was too hot and tired to attempt the sand again, so I stayed well clear of that monster. Here's my first attempt at a 'Picture in the mirror'

sand21.JPG

What a day! Taught me a lot, but it'll be months of practice before I will be anything near comfortable in sand. Thanx to Shark for the ride and the advice. That's what makes this forum the best!