F800GeenSand in Grond&Stront

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Eeaish just spend a few hours of precious company time reading through this post:

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=34660.0

And found it very informative and interesting, made a decision to reply to it by starting a new thread. (The reason is when threads get to long it tend to loose it original contents etc etc etc.)

I do not not claim to be this super biker know all done all, but had some limited experience with various bikes, on and off the road.

The bottom line is, BMW did make a slight boo-boo with the F800. So if you do own a F800 (like me) learn to live with it.  The problem with the bike is that the front end tend to wipe out in thick sand, but with experience (and physical fitness) and the right tires, this problem can be overcome. As I said learn to live with it.
What also help is to fit a stearing stabilser, but this is a costley answer to a minor problem.
(Besides everyone likes to takes pictures of a Beemer on its side)

To make claims like 'that the bike is dangerous on dirt' sound a bit like BMW bashing to me.
To the invite to come and do Baboons Pass with it, my answer is; been there (with the 800) done it got the T-shirt. "Sorry not interested, had enough of that madness".

With 57000+ km on the clock, the Kubu/Gweta road, Lesotho madness, aborted Desert Run, and others done plus commuting to work daily, and a few new ones planned, I am still very happy with my machine.