Southern Namibia Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfmother

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Mars (all models)
Trip: Namibia
Time: 13-24th June 2009
Route:

Started at Cape town, Garies, Vioolsdrif, Rosh Pinnah, Aus, Luderitz, Betta, Sesriem, Walvis Baai, Swakopmund, Windhoek, Keemans, Fishriver, Vanrhynsdorp and home.

11 People
7 Bikes
1 Bakkie

So it’s a bit late. But out of the 7 biker mice that went along I am the first to start typing.  We had an awesome trip to Namibia.  Last year one of my colleagues went bold on us and bought the all new BMW X-country.  This guy jumped into the deep end of the pool with no experience at all.  He’s positivity and ingenuity inspired the lot of us to follow into his footsteps.  We all bought our motorcycles in the past year.  So the logical next step was to organize a trip to a destination a bit further than Zevenwacht’s sand dunes or even the popular Cederberg.  We decided on Namibia, it’s not that far, has great tourist destinations, and lots of gravel roads.

The trip started in Durbanville on the rainiest of winter days the Cape has to offer. We had rain all the way to Garies. Some of us fiddled around with the straps keeping our, way too many, belongings on the back of our bikes. Stopped for a Spur at Piketberg and cruzed through to Garies. At Garies there is a camp site, with lights, ablution facilities and even braai wood but no one in sight to take any money.  I guess it’s free then.

Camp at Garies.

I used my KLR/Tractor to fetch firewood. (or sort of a whole tree) 

The first two days was just to get over the fence.  We raced from Garies to Vioolsdrif, ran through the border posts, and jumped onto the first gravel we could find.  We took the route to along the Orange to the place where the Fish River and Orange combine. 

Our first stop on the gravel.

The camp site was quite nice.  Clean, lots of shade, great ablution facilities and the river was only 50m away.  I was the only one barmy enough to plunge into the cold – refreshing! 

The mighty Orange.

The bigscreen of fire-tv.

Boplaas Campsite.

Modern day Cowboy Desert Duel.

Next day:  Through Rosh Pinnah to Aus on the new tar, then from Aus down the desert to Luderitz.  The road from Aus is spectacular.  You can see almost 100km around you of only desert.  It was amazing to start seeing the desert animals.  Gemsbokke, Volstruise, wild horses. For those who do not like to ride all the way to Luderitz on the tar with your nobbies, there’s an awesome gravel road/railway track next to the road (I couldn’t help it I just had to go off the road!)  In Luderitz we camped at Diaz point.  The camp site is way at the tip of the cape stretching into the ocean.  It feels like an island!  The camp site is equipped with shelters from the cold sea breeze.  One of the shelters is even built from an old ship!  The kind people from the camp site made us a snoek, we drank wine and felt like merry fishermen in our shelter.  We got some great pics of the Luderitz lights!  I would definitely rank this site one of the best I’ve been to. And it’s only R35 a head for the camping! 

Roadside picnic.

more on the way..