Honey turns 100

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Yes she has been growing older (wiser) gracefully and now hit the century mark during the return of a recent trip from Malawi.

Honey10023.jpg

Herewith a few interesting statistics of her life:

I bought her on 16 Jan 07.

I have owned her for 896 days and we have covered an average of 111.864955 km’s for every day of her life thus far.

The fastest 10 000 km’s was from 90 – 100km which was covered in just 56 days – it did include a 6200 km trip to Malawi. The average being 89 days to cover 10k km’s.

The longest was 131 days to cover from 50 – 60k km’s. I have to add that I had the BURP as a second bike and covered 10k on her while clocking mileage on Honey.

In her 100000 km’s she has consumed 6028.1 litres of fuel at an average of 16.63 km’s per litre.

The best consumption I have achieved was 24.66 km’s per litre and the worst 8.49 km’s per litre. There has been a definite decline in fuel consumption since she reached the 55 000 km mark.

The most fuel I have managed to fit into the tank during fill up was 38.01 litres even though according to the owner’s manual she can only carry 33 litres of fuel.

The longest distance covered on a tank before refuelling was 714 km’s. After upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista I have never managed more than 650 km’s per tank.

She is on her 7th rear tyre with the best mileage of 16199 achieved on a Metzeler Tourance.

She is on her 5ht tyre, although one was damaged by a pothole and I had to replace as I didn’t trust that buldge. Best mileage on a front was 20555 km’s – also a Tourance.

I have spend R 84 793.44 on her maintenance which turns into a running cost of ± R0.85 per kilometre.

Things I love about Honey.

Her reliability. Thus far her battery gave in once during the winter of 07 and was replaced under warranty. Head lamp replaced 3 times. Apart from that no other problems, not even a flat.
The fuel range.
Comfort

Things I dislike about Honey

Her ground clearance. I would love to fit a set of Wilbers and raise her ride height by another inch.

Modifications I have done.

Full Remus Exhaust.

K&N Airfilter.

Ohlins steering damper.

Hyperpro suspension springs

Handlebar raisers.

Touratech Bashplate.

B&W short levers.

Most memorable trip we have done: Visit to Ponta de Quro in Sep 07.

Best stretch of road ever ridden: The road from Britstown, over Carnavon to Sutherland.

Worst stretch: During Dec 08 from the Sani hotel to Himeville in very muddy conditions.

Honey enjoying the beauty of lake Malawi

Honey10010.jpg

Honey enjoying some wildlife during a trip in Apr 09

Honey10011.jpg

Honey’s favourite is taking her owner to places less travelled

Honey10012.jpg

One of the best trips we had – Ponta in Moz

Honey10013.jpg

Ain’t she a beat?

Honey10014.jpg

She has travelled to the far corners of SA

Honey10015.jpg

Her preferred road surface

Honey10016.jpg

Sometimes objects bigger than her got in her way

Honey10018.jpg

One of the best roads ever covered

Honey10019.jpg

Taking care of her owners needs

Honey1002.jpg

Sometimes the going was not smooth

Honey10021.jpg

The one and only time I have ever dropped her

Honey1005.jpg

A brand new Honey being eyeballed by friends during her fisrt rally – The Stag in Feb 07

Honey1006.jpg

Man this is a reliable machine

Honey1008.jpg

Her happiest moment – taking her owner to placers where he can enjoy R&R

Honey1009.jpg

Beautiful backdrop

Honey100.jpg

Happy bike and owner after she hit the 100k mark on Sunday morning just outside Carolina

Honey1003.jpg

Thanks old faithfull one - May you give me another 200k km’s

Honey10017.jpg