My Honda XR500R Bedroom Build - SM Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grego

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
I'm busy building a Honda XR500 (in my bedroom) so i thought i'd start a topic so that everyone can follow my progress.
I'm keeping the bike at my parents house so i usually only have one day a week to work on it... it might take a while till its done.
All comments and constructive criticism welcome  ;D

The beginning:
It all started about 3 years ago when i bought myself a 1982 XR500 as a weekend toy. It ran well and was in ok condition considering its age and the fact that it had spent most of its life in the dirt.

DSCF0429.jpg

At the beginning of this year i moved out of home. The place i'm staying in now is half way up a mountain, with the only access being via a 3km long rutted/pothole ridden dirt road. The bike therefore became my primary mode of transport.
Recently the motor finally started feeling the effects of the many years of abuse. However, due to me using the bike 6 days a week to get to work/shops, rebuilding the existing motor was not really an option. So the hunt began for a 2nd hand motor that i could rebuild and swop out with the existing one.

After searching for months without any luck i eventually came across a 90% complete bike which i snapped up. The plan now is to salvage all the good parts from the 2 bikes and build myself one decent bike, and hopefully cover the costs of the build by selling off the un needed parts as i go.