Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 shock upgrade for fatties - options?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
DR650 shock upgrade for fatties - options?
« on: July 17, 2009, 04:25:21 pm »
My rear OEM shock must be taking some serious strain keeping my 125-130 Kg weight off the tar :ricky:

Do anybody know of any options that I could consider? Was wondering if an upgraded spring or something like that is available to carry my weight comfortably and to reduce sag?

Cheers

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DR650 shock upgrade for fatties - options?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:44:14 am »
Rebuild shock, revalve, replace spring.

Between R 2500 and R 3000 all included depending on condition of shock (damages?)

Can be done within a week.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline fixit

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 10:36:13 am »
These guys can help you. You give them your weight and thay make up one for you. I believe they are very good? info@mpcustomvalve.co.za

Should cost around 4k or 5 k if you want a piggyback preload adjustment.
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Biesie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 10:46:16 am »
A, kan MP Custom Valve (Martin) aanbeveel. Gaan volgende week my Tenere se voor & agter shocks laat oordoen by hom.

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 02:31:54 pm »
Martin is good, and honest too. Did my shock in 3 days.
But come, give Le Cap an opoortunity to work some magic for you. He sponsors this site too, so go on... support him.
 :deal:
 :biggrin:
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 09:00:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies and info guys - much appreciated :thumleft:

Shock is undamaged and in very good condition (bike has 12000km on clock).

LeCap, when you say "replace spring" I take it you mean with an upgraded one? Is it rated to a particular weight?

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 09:38:10 am »
Of course
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 07:38:37 pm »
Did some more reading and apparently "The stock DR650 rear spring rate is 6.5kg/mm and is too soft for even the lightest riders offroad"

Whilst this statement is probably debatable, I am not the lightest rider around so it definatly finds application with me, meaning that a shock upgrade for me is a must.

Found the following table -

Riders weight range / Spring rate recommended
150-180 lbs /  6.8 Kg/mm,   
180-215 lbs / 7.1 Kg/mm,     
215-225lbs / 7.4 Kg/mm
225-240Lbs / 7.6 KG/mm, 
230-260Lbs / 8.1 Kg/mm   

At 130 kg or 286 pounds (if my conversion is correct) I seem to be pushing the upper boundaries of what is possible / available and then my luggage is not even included yet.

I see that Dual Star offer a progressive rear shock for the DR and other companies such as Cogent Dynamics offer special rear damper upgrades for the DR so it is fair to say that DR shock upgrades is not uncommon.

So, LeCap - if you would pardon the obvious question - any idea what the recomended spring rate is for me plus luggage (soft luggage top and sides) and is such a rated spring available here?

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:14:35 am »
"The stock DR650 rear spring rate is 6.5kg/mm and is too soft for even the lightest riders offroad"

So, LeCap - if you would pardon the obvious question - any idea what the recomended spring rate is for me plus luggage (soft luggage top and sides) and is such a rated spring available here?

I would say something like a 7.5kg - 8.0kg spring if you ride solo normal DS stuff and slow technical and with not too much luggage (15kg max).

8.0 - 9.0kg if you want to go fast and hard or / and load the bike like a donkey.

I am 80kg and don't ride with more than 10kg - 15kg of luggage, normal DS & technical stuff, not so much trying to get to top speed or jumping and I'm fine with the OEM spring.

I think the word "offroad" is the important one in the sentence quoted above. The spring rates given sound correct to me if you ride the bike like an MX bike, for DS they sound a bit stiff - also from my riding experience with the DR.

Fitting another spring is basically a DIY job but you should revalve the shock. The damping adjustment will not work effective enough on a much stiffer spring as it tends to increase high speed compression more than rebound. (Bike either gets uncomfortable and ill responding or wallows at high speed).

Must have a look what springs I can supply.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 05:11:15 pm »
"The stock DR650 rear spring rate is 6.5kg/mm and is too soft for even the lightest riders offroad"

I would say something like a 7.5kg - 8.0kg spring if you ride solo normal DS stuff and slow technical and with not too much luggage (15kg max).

8.0 - 9.0kg if you want to go fast and hard or / and load the bike like a donkey.

I am 80kg and don't ride with more than 10kg - 15kg of luggage, normal DS & technical stuff, not so much trying to get to top speed or jumping and I'm fine with the OEM spring.

I think the word "offroad" is the important one in the sentence quoted above. The spring rates given sound correct to me if you ride the bike like an MX bike, for DS they sound a bit stiff - also from my riding experience with the DR.

Fitting another spring is basically a DIY job but you should revalve the shock. The damping adjustment will not work effective enough on a much stiffer spring as it tends to increase high speed compression more than rebound. (Bike either gets uncomfortable and ill responding or wallows at high speed).

Must have a look what springs I can supply.

Thanks LeCap

I am not into serious offroad and thus agree with your assessment that a 8.0 kg spring will probably be enough for normal DS work and to carry some soft luggage up to 20kg.

If you want to do a quote (upgraded spring and re- valve) and PM it, I would be interested to receive it.

Wonder what the postage on a heavy item like a shock will amount to?