My ideal middleweight DS bike ("DRZ500"?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I ride a Dakar and I love my bike. I just sometimes wish it was 30kg lighter ;). Which got me thinking: what would my ideal middleweight dual-sport bike look like? I don't believe any manufacturer produces it, and I wonder why, because it's possible...

I'm thinking DRZ400 but with more packing space and longer highway legs; KTM 640 with longer service intervals, less race-readiness and vibrations; XChallenge with more space, better seat and wind protection.

You get the picture.

index.php

index.php

640%202.jpg

So, let's design it. Let's start with user requirements (sorry, I'm in IT ;D):

Goal: Focused middleweight dual-sport bike for lighter riders (also women ;)) or riders that prefer off-road ability in tight/technical situations above absolute long-distance ability or power/top speed. Should still be able to cover 100s of kilometers on the highway in relative comfort (i.e. adventure touring). Luggage and pillion-carrying ability, but pillion not a prime focus.

- Dry weight (absolute maximum): 150kg
- Fuel capacity: +- 16 litres (350km?)
- Power: 45hp?
- Top speed: 150 km/h?
- Suspension: normal front telesopic fork (USD not required?) and rear mono-shock (no tennis ball!)
  -- Something like the DRZ400, with progressive fork springs
- Brakes: Discs all-round, no ABS
- Frame: Strong, but lightweight ;D
  -- NB: proper subframe capable of carrying luggage, plus the occasional pillion. Not required to carry pillion (especially not luggage + pillion) for extended periods.
- Luggage: strong tail-rack, with mounting points for top-box; optional pannier racks & panniers
- Wheels: spoked; 21 inch front, 17 rear
- Final drive: chain
- Protection (standard):
  -- proper alu bash-plate
  -- proper crash bars
  -- proper hand guards
  -- indicators out of the way
- Wind protection: well-designed medium-height screen
- Seat: streamlined, but comfortable (say halfway between Dakar and X-Challenge ;D)
  -- Pillion-capable, but not a prime focus
- Clocks: 2x analog: speed, rpm; fuel guage; odometer
- Other (standard):
  -- Wide offroad footpegs
  -- Under-seat toolset capable of (at least) a tyre-change
  -- Exhaust that doesn't sound like my Dakar's

Engine

I'm no engineer or mechanic, but I wondered whether a 500cc engine wouldn't be ideal. Then, is it completely mad to consider a twin? A v-twin 500 (remember those?)...  8). Why? Well, I thought it might make it much smoother on the highway, no? Or do you lose a lot off-road or in the slow stuff, where low rpm torgue is important? Is a twin necessarily bigger and heavier than a single of the same capacity? The KLE500 has a parallel twin - is that what makes it so heavy?

Think about those twin Akras on a 500 v-twin... ;D

Engine configuration: 500c 4-stroke single-cylinder/v-twin with EFI (no carbs, pls!)
Tuning/Service intervals: With tuning halfway between a KTM and a BMW, service intervals could be 7500km
Gearbox: 6 gears (6th is an overdrive for highway use)

Design

The bike should look sexy. Sort of like the DRZ, but less motocrossy. I quite like the styling of the XCountry. Perhaps someone can do us a Photochop ;)

That should keep you busy for a while ;D. Has anyone got one of these in their garage for me?