Walkerville Rangers 2009/07/26

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cono

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
A very cold morning ride from home dressed up as warm as possible, but as usual not warm enough. I met up with the Walkerville Ranger Marco dancing next to his bike wearing his Kippah on his head, ”skull cap”  as he would call it, saying after the ride he will be off to the Synagogue.
Perhaps it’s now time to put it into context and tell him on this forum, “Hey Marco, boet, your Italian and that cap on your head, truth is you look more like Ali G on his way into the hood.
Whatever you were thinking Marco, “do yous understand it is a bike bang wiv da walkerville rangers”.
Check out da cool Ali G Translator. https://www.mackers.com/alig/
001.jpg

On the way out Walkerville Ranger - Ryan and two of his mates came rushing past with bikes loaded onto trailers to join the day’s ride. Pussies out for the day riding in heated cars. You need to go figure the most exciting part of the ride, being the cold morning. The damn day starts on a bike and finishes on a bike.

Anyways, after the cold ride out to Doctor KLR’s (Graham’s) Workshop, I saw a new face and a old bearded face.
I opted for a hug and body heat exchange from the cute red head, Nicky. BMW GS 650 solo in all aspects a lady rider eager to show the boys how it gets done.
002.jpg

And who else but our Wild Dog - Groenie, who opted to spend the night at Dr KLR’s / Nurse Sandy’s … it’s a long story, but I am sure Groenie will make his post, about how he got stuck in Walkerville all the way from Pretoria on a Saturday night.  It must have had something to do with the heavy traffic going back home to Pretoria. Groenie opted to go home instead of ride Walkerville. "Groenie, hope the cold ride back home was enjoyable".
003.jpg

And there’s the Doctor shocked and surprised with the larger than expected turn-out for a new route through Walkerville – the deep South of Johannesburg. There’s even a great pub called Deep South Pub, where we spent late afternoon watching speedway / side-car racing at the Oval Track.
004.jpg

Apology if I cannot remember everyone’s name, but a big Thank You to the plastic bikes who arrived for the exciting ride. KTM's left, right and centre, all over the place, Suzuki's, BMWobble U's and Honda. A full pack of Dogs and the single lady.
005.jpg

As mentioned earlier, a new route was planned .... sort of. It was a bit of a happy go lucky exploration trip, throwing many new twists, climbs, mud crossings, which saw many new styles of dismounting along the way. That's dismounts without first killing the motor. Even I had my fair share. Thankfully, every new ride brings new challanges and new riders, who wish to take away the glory stories. The time had come to to hand over the “drop your bike as many times as you like” prize to someone else. There are some great shots of our “SCUBA Divers”.

This pic taken down the side of a steep rocky hill climb on the West side of Walkerville, looking down towards Soweto / Johannesburg. It is a beautiful view and was worth every kilogram of sweating and swearing to get to the top of the mountain.
006.jpg

007.jpg

Taking centre, James another BMW F650 rider, doing what he does best. Charming the ladies. Nicky must clearly enjoy his company, as she was invited out to Walkerville by James and must clearly want to be with James on the ride as she rode in the morning cold to join us on the ride.
008.jpg

After some great pit stops, attempts at river crossings we finally find a stop to have a early breakfast, we arrived at the Country Pizzeria [S26 18.843 E27 59.565] Read southfork on the map. Great meals were served. I had the Country Special Pizza, with fresh avo’s, great tasting cheese and downed it with spicy drinks. You have the co-ordinates, take the ride and as a bonus, just let the Barman know that you have “come for da special”. Let’s just say, there are special prices for special customers. Just use da magic words.
CountryPizza.jpg

The above pic gives you a fair indication of the playing grounds around and in the marsh, with the many streams.
Now it’s very important to note that there have been many posts with regard Walkerville Rangers out-rides in the area, each time under a banner of Walkerville Rangers. These are in principle the guys in the know of the area, who have special permission and believe it or not, ownership of many of the properties over which bikes may ride. take note "only with special permission". Thus the very organized and planned rides by Doctor KLR. Properties are mostly privately owned farms, many in full farming production, thus no bikes are just allowed to roam the fields. There are many hidden dangers such as low strung fences and barbed wire, which may cause a serious injury to anyone just wandering through the area. There are many animals roaming the fields who could be easily harmed by bikes just racing through the properties.

And I trust that all on the Wild Dog Adventure Riders Forum, respect the privacy and special permissions required before crossing someone’s property. Although to many it just looks like large open fields, but to the owners of these farms and properties, it is unfair to trespass. I’m not saying that any Wild Dog, will disregard safe passages and just start cutting down fences in the hope to find a route in and out of these properties, it is evident that there are vehicles who do just this, with no respect to the costs of fixing fences on the properties. And then there is the risk of loss to growing crops, when taking unmapped routes, thus the Walkerville  Rangers, in their wisdom plan these bike rides to allow riders to also enjoy Walkerville Agricultural Holdings and surrounds, without riff-raff, coming into the area to create havoc for those obeying the rules.
Like any ride, strict rules must apply to riders when encroaching on another persons private property.

OK…so now the real fun riding starts. Earlier the group had split into two. The fast plastic bikes and their younger riders and some not so young…that’s you Danie…split and took the more rough route to race each other, while the more cautious or is that old toppies did the exploring to find new exciting paths. This group of boys also had there fair share of incidents, with one or two close calls to Ryan and his friends.

By now I must advise that Nicky our newest lady friend was taking a pounding and was adding the number of falls, looking for a 2nd set of hands to do the counting. She is a great rider, must was not used to the terrain, she was crossing. There is a big difference in riding flat gravel roads and then there is rock climbs, river crossing and mud devils. Not to make Nicky feel too out of place, I started my usual dropping of bike…. Damn she really needed the laughs. I’m sure that there are some of the other riders, who will wish to share their “downs”. Any if I do not get volunteers, ‘don’t forget’ I had the camera and will out you on this post.

Now …. Nicky is a professional photographer …who I asked to take nude photo’s of me .. she declined ....her loss .... so I thought I would get all fancy with my Samsung L760, turned a few knobs .. on the camera … and took these shots for her to evaluate my artistic shots of her.
009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Seems like the couple of falls earlier that morning dirtied up the BMW, so Nicky decided, what the hell, why wait to get home to clean the bike, I’ll do it right now.
012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

Jason, the Walkerville Ranger who carries the “Snorkel Award” for swimming with bikes, was as happy as can be as he will be passing “The Snorkel” to Nicky, as what she just managed to do was so far thge story for the day.
I think she may have been running out of fingers … on the other guys hands … to count the number of downs …so far.
021.jpg

022.jpg

And as any self respecting rider knows, when swimming with bikes, remove riding gear, as it will become bloody cold while you drip dry in the shade. And as any professional swimmer knows, Graham hauled out the Old Brown Sherry and passed it along to Nicky, who grabbed the bottle and started to fight off the boys who also claimed to have gotten wet crossing the "raging, ice cold river"
023.jpg

024.jpg

We got moving again and Jason decided, no new rider will claim “The Snorkel” . He worked hard to get the prize on previous rides, so like any self respecting prize winner, he had a scheme to thrown himself and bike right down into a rather sticky mud pool. I arrived slightly too late with camera, but imagine before these photo’s Jason’s bike totally submerged flat under the water, him putting on “The Snorkel” and getting down under the water to look for his bike. Well, he retained “The Snorkel” prize on this ride.
025.jpg

026.jpg

This is where Walkerville Ranger – Marco, on the left decided to call it a day and ran home to mommy. He knew that if he dropped his bike into that mud, he would not be allowed out to play with the boys again. Thanks for the ride Marco… you should have stayed around longer … the fun was just starting.
On the right, James calculating his approach to cross over that mud monster and then eventually taking his BMW on a much shorter crossing. OK… I also took the short crossing … I may be chicken, but I still had a dry bike.
027.jpg

028.jpg

Jason, clearly a pro on stripping bikes, opened her up and started to pump the water out of the engine. As said, earlier, the entire bike was under water for a couple of minutes. The exhuast system sucked water like a baby on a tit.
029.jpg

Nicky and Jason, discussing their individual swimming styles.
030.jpg

031.jpg

Walkerville Ranger – Mike (KTM) and Justin, his son … on left.
Justin, a true Champion and Top Ranked rider in MotoCross gives his dad a run for his money.
032.jpg

Just another artistic shot of Nicky racing along the road …. OK…there is nothing artistic about the shot, it’s another fluke after turning on the camera knobs again in the wrong direction.
033.jpg

We had, after crawling through the mud pools, water crossings, slimy muddy roads, behind Sun Downer Pub, a quick wet one and then the plastic bikes, Graham and Mike took off on their bumpy ride.
The “A for ambulance” Team“, Danie, who was a bit sore, Nicky, Jason and myself, decided to take the scenic route back towards Walkerville. Some guys and the gal decided to stick to the tar and head for home as the sun was setting.

Much later, I joined the wild bunch, who again decided they did not have enough so, Mike and the boys shot off in one direction and Graham and I, decided to give the old bodies a rest and headed up the Perdekop Road to the Deep South Pub inside the Walkerville Show Grounds, to watch a few laps of the Speedway Riders and their Jockeys, sidecars and all, making one hellava racket around the track.

Eventually the other riders and Mike came in to tell us their stories, of punctures, seized engines (eager Honda, whose oil was not checked before ride), bruises and falls. We even had Nurse Sandy, dishing out the “Ooo’s, Aaa’s and Shame Hey” for those who needed it.

Another great day in Walkerville, clearly enjoyed by all.
A big THANK YOU to the farmers, restaurants and pub owners for letting us play in their area for the day and Doctor KLR (Graham) and Walkerville Rangers for the planning.
Until the next planned ride … keep the chains lubed …. check oil and brake levels, but most important, don’t forget to spoil your mommies and special ladies at home, to ensure your allowed out to play again.