Pilgrims Rest- One Night Stand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UFUDO

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
The weekend of the 4th November a bunch of us did a ?One Night Stand? to Pilgrims Rest. There was Chris and Leonie on a 1200GS ADV. Hein and Shaun on 950 Katooms and Johan on a 990 Ktm. Dennis the ?Ingilsman,? the author of this trip report, was riding his 650 Dakar. Myself and Belinda where trying out our new HP2.
Our plan was to get to Dullstroom as quickly as possible, have breakfast/brunch and then explore the roads in the Lydenburg area. The plan was then to overnight at Pilgrims Rest Campsite.
Here is a plan of our route to Pilgrims Rest.
onspilgrimsgpstrackresift2.jpg

I?ll let Dennis the ?Ingilsman? continue???????..

"The next bit's a bit more technical than we've done up to now."
So began one of those understatements for which bikers are famous. Yes, the road was a little challenging, but such was the scenic splendour that I wouldn't have missed it for all the world. Add that with the cameraderie, the laughter, the true bonding and the sharing of such an experience - well, what can I say? Wow!
The beginning? Oh, yeah, well, I'm sure Garth said we're to meet 6 for 6:30 - I even remember that I winced, thinking that would mean rising at 4:30 and riding for an hour to get there..
Duly at 10 before 6, I arrive at said meeting point, and wait, ... and wait... and wait. By 6:40 I'm beginning to panic, and by 6:50 I'm sure I got the date wrong. Whew, at 6:55, two KTM's arrive, and the familiar tones erupt from a helmet "Hoe gaan dit met jou, Inglsman?". So grateful to see someone, anyone, I just about hugged the lad!
More folk arrive, and Hein, balls to the wind, as they would say in a less elegant publication than this, decides to change his brake pads! Kan jy dit glo? Asking for a screwdriver he sets off with a leatherman, and one slip later, under strict instructions from Chris, he gets carted off to hospital to return later with 3 stiches
Now the rest of us have to hang about, wondering what's happening at the hosital - we needn't have worried: when asked how things were Hein answered "Sy is getroud!" (as usual his mind was a little off topic). The extra time gave us a chance to catch up - it had been a year or two since I'd ridden with this crew!
We set off via Bapsfontein, then left to the N4. Straight to Belfast Engen (so Johan could get unleaded!) then into Dullstroom for breakfast. After some indecision we settle for The Waffle Log. This is a new spot on the left hand side coming into town from Belfast. They had a good menu and after much indecsion most of us ordered a frying pan containing mince, beans and spicy chillies (the effects of which were heard from Johan's corner not too long after!), a lot of milkshakes, and the laughter that accompanies such good events. The comedian (shall we say clown?) in Johan begins to show itself.
img1554resizehx5.jpg

img1559resizeje1.jpg

Tummies full we set off just out of Dullstroom onto a dirt road. I don't know what it is, but there's a certain feeling hitting "first dirt" gives you - almost as if one's body heaves a sigh of relief.
img1573resizejy9.jpg

img1572resizetg7.jpg

img1571resizegl1.jpg

Shaun showing how it must be done?
img1570resizepb6.jpg

img1568resizepu5.jpg

img1565resizeyb3.jpg

Get back to the story! Ok, ok, the road narrowed, then up a short ridge, and over into a wide valley, with hills overlapping in blue distance, a meandering stream, and green meadows. Awesome!
About now it was noticed that Chris' Battlestar Galactica (for thats all one can call something so huge, compared with the fine, slender figures of the KTMs and the BMW Dakar). Even the HP2 looked trim beside that monster! Well, it was noticed that old Galactica had the amazing ability to generate clouds of dust, so much so that few were keen to have to ride behind the beast!
Chris and Leonie ? Battlestar Galactica
dsc04184resizedgs5.jpg

giantterritoryjpgresizeyh1.jpg

A short break and then off again, a little tar, then second left up an amazing road, winding via hairpin bends up a hill of note (later look at the map - the hill is a mountain called Santa, at 2042m). Over the top, round the bend (as I'm sure some would say we were!), and voila! a bed of lavender. A stop is made for pics, and the ever present need for a smoke, then on and up to meet the 577 where its right to Lydenburg.
img1582resizejo9.jpg

img1581resizeim2.jpg

img1574resizeke9.jpg

Good thinking on Garth's part and we take a detour almost completely around Lydenburg, and get the thrill of the first bends on our way to Pilgrims Rest. Stopping at the Crystal Springs turn off, its time for a biltong and smoke break. It?s at this happy gathering that we hear the words "The next bit's a bit more technical than we've done up to now."
Stop at Crystal Springs turnoff
img1589resizezb3.jpg

The road starts off well enough, the to entrance of the forestry place, but then soon shows what its made of. Shale, loose and crumbly, sitting on top of bone-jarring ridges of shale-in-the-making. It certainly took all our concentration, but the views more than made up for .. well, I can't really say the pain because that was what we went for - the challenge of the offroad ride, and what a ride it was too. As if it was too easy, Garth, in the lead, insisted on taking us up side paths, as if the joy of turning a fully laden bike on a narrow, rutted track just added to the general fun of the day!
img1593resizele6.jpg

We stop at a view of forever, and Hein tells us he has ridden a bicycle over that large mountain to the left. Shaun decides we, the people, are not good enough to take a pic of him and his worthy steed, so he grovels about in the dust to line up his camera then scoot over to his bike in time for it to take a happy, if dirty, snap of him looking ever so chuffed at his genius for getting it right.
The bikes are lined up and pictures taken, then we mount again for an excellent descent to a small valley and a closed gate! Thank goodness it was unlocked - our thanks to Belinda for having staggered off and opened the gate(s) for us.
img1600resizehm0.jpg

Onto a wide, well travelled public dirt road, covered with that fine dust that gets into everywhere, and renders the road virtually invisible. Off go the two KTMs and I follow, stang all the way, in a vain attempt to see over the dust cloud. This works for a while, but around one corner the cloud just takes over. I really can't believe it - how could 2 bikes make such a .. Just as I'm about to finish that sentence I zoom into the worst part of the cloud, only to find that its being made by a BIG YELLOW construction vehicle. Shaken, but not deterred, I overtake, and give it my best, to attempt to catch up. Most of the dust has settled by now, and I am able to make good speed, only to find myself drop into a valley, then up onto a mountainside, confronted by a Toyota Prado in the center of the road. Eek! That was close - I almost had the imprint of a Toyota emblem on my nose.
Arriving in Pilgrims Rest we turn in and park haphazardly in front of The Vine - time to get rid of that thirst. All are amazed at how much dust I have on my clothing - I didn't say how close my meeting with the BIG YELLOW truck had been!
The campsite was a peaceful haven after the dust of the day - hot showers, tents put up by some, whilst others raided the local stores for what turned out to be amazing grub. Wood is bought and soon a fire is roaring. About this time J J and Elmarie come roaring in. Yes, it is good to see old friends again.
Our Kitchen for the evening.
img1603resizeim6.jpg

JJ and Nelmarie
img1606resizeck0.jpg

img1615resizetf5.jpg

A little interest is caused when a Safari truck comes rumbling in and Hein gets a return wave from a pretty young thing in the back. We just had to laugh at Hein's two man tent! and much ragging ensued about the concept that he must have had his eyes on something else when he bought that one.
Hein?s tent. Just as well the pretty young thing from the Safari truck didn?t join him for a bit of ?slap and tickle!!?
img1630resizefs2.jpg

After a great meal, and an incredible salad, one by one we all turn in, what a great day it has been (well, some folk, no names mentioned, stayed up til the wee hours consuming more than wee drams of rum - a fact highlighted by their bleak looks at the breakfast table the next day).
Most of the crowd slept in til well after sunrise. They tell me it was so that the groundsheets could dry, but somehow I don't believe that. It was decided that breakfast will be had in Graskop, and that we'll take the Long Tom Pass road home. Breakfast consisted amazingly of lime milkshakes, flapjacks, omlettes, bacon, pancakes with ice cream, caramel and banana, and some even had a slice of black forest cake! Once satisfied, it was time to mount up, causing the usual stir, fill up and head off thru the bends.
Breakfast in Graskop
img1642resizecr8.jpg

img1643resizett6.jpg

A stop on a pass for a final round of photos (and the coercion of a great sales lady wanting quick sales - R10, R10, R10 was the cry, seeing a number of us heading off as proud possesors of "daai heerlike skilpadjties" to quote Elmarie) and we're off home.
img1652resizetv7.jpg

What an exhilarating time. Renewing friendships, doing something we all love, discussing bikes (and the fact that 3 years ago the majority were BMWs while now the KTM?s had the majority!!!), the friendly ragging. Even Garth getting upset over a few male member's wish to be holding his new wife, Belinda, when it came to having their pics taken. All things to be remembered, things that bring a smile to one lips, and a faraway look in our eyes.
Yes, I'd do it again, any day!