Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The SERIOUSLY scenic route to Baviaans and other tales  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
The SERIOUSLY scenic route to Baviaans and other tales
« on: November 14, 2006, 10:07:09 am »
I see you've all been waiting to hear my side of the story........

We'll get to the part on fixing sumps in a while.....

First a word of advice, If you let Gideon plan the route, don't give him free reign. Sure, he'll find the most remote, beuatiful roads, but that's where the problem kreeps in. The first day we did 600 km, of which not even 200 was tar and we started at 4 in the morning and only pitched our tents in Aliwal North after 7 the evening..... :lol: One thing  must add in his defence, the route was stunning!!!

OK, here goes...

Meeting at the Ultra City between Pta and Midrand at 4:00

Tar all the way to the Vaal at Vereniging.

And here the fun starts at an appropriate place - Gravel..

We relied totally on Gideon's GPS, his map book was later to be named 'Cradock', but that part comes later. Here he is begging the GPS for more dirt roads.....

A nice place for a smoke break.

Somewhere in the Free State. Who said it was FLAT?

This is what Wilddog riding is all about, lonely dirt roads somewhere......

Eventually, lunch in Ladybrand at the pizza place

After lunch we let the GPS pick the route. Surprise!! Gideons begging/cursing worked and it only picked dirt for the rest of the day except the last part into Aliwal North

Rain clouds building over Lesotho.

I like this pic

And we came to Aliwal. This is the bridge ove the Orange river

After a few beers at the closest pub and asking for directions to the campsite, we finally stopped for the day.

More later
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Red

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 01:17:31 pm »
:blob2:  :blob3:  :blob4:  :blob7:  :blob8:  :blob3:  :blob2:  :blob4:  :blob8:  :blob7:

It is later!!!!!

Offline Ned_da_biker

• Pack Dog
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 01:43:51 pm »
Moerse later!!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :P  :twisted:
ome mistakes are too much fun to only make once. :-)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 02:20:16 pm »
moerse more baie later :x
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline BoJangels

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Plettenberg Bay
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 02:23:03 pm »
:wav:
heeltemal te later
 :hello2:
It is never too late or too early to be whoever you want to be.

Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 03:24:35 pm »
Why are we waiting..why are we waiting.....:cussing:  :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 03:33:37 pm »
I can hardly wait for the rest

especially the part about the bash plate :lol:

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 09:41:19 pm »
OK, dis nou later.....

Moes eers bietjie maintenance pleeg op ou Groenie. Hy het bietjie strain gevat op die trip en die donnerse PC by die huis het ook die gees gegee.

To get back to the first day's trip. Groenie started using oil, lots of oil and it got worse as we went along, but that you can read about that in the HELP ME section.

On with the story.

That night we slept like logs, literaly. My head hadn't even touched what I was using as a pillow and I was gone. I woke up in the same position I had gotten into the bed the night before. It was a long, very enjoyable ride.

By the time I got out my tent, Gideon had almost completely packed and was raring to go. Wait, coffee first.....and by 8 we hit the road again. We turned back at the sight of our first dirt road, but it was just for a quick smoke and to let some air out of the tyres quickly.

This was to be an example of the intrepid navigator (that's Gideon) at his best. The most beautiful mountian passes awaited us and it was all DIRT. Thanx Gideon

Absolutely stunning area to get lost in, and that's what we tried. We missed a turn off and after 4 hours of riding had only 'managed' to get 60km from Aliwal, but this place must be high on next year's list as a venue for the bash.

Near Molteno, we rode what must be the most spectacular road on the trip (well, up till then it was)

And we came upon this....this ruin? of what? Very strange buildings that seemed to have been very grand in their day.

Our luck with the navigatoin ran out and came to a gate. Faaaaark!!!

Eventually we made it back to the one-horse town called Molteno.....and were promptly arrested by the sherrif for riding on the wrong side of the road. Of course there was a bit of a off-road chase before we noticed he was chasing us.

Those who met Gideon, know he's an excellent story teller and without too much fuss, we were let go again, but as he said, a few beers will have to flow to get the full story.....

We then realised we're in shit street as far as time goes. Groenie was eating his T63's. As soon as we went over 120, the tyres overheated and started cracking and losing little bits of rubber. That's where the 100k/h average speed started.

But by some stroke of luck the GPS knew this and kept us on a strict diet of dirt. Gideon coaxed a 'shortest distance route out of it, and whaddya know....more dirt. :lol:

Over another very good mountain pass and we hit the Pink Highway!

It really is PINK, no funny stuff with photoshop, PINK. My chickie would love it.

The original plan was to go through Cradock. I think.....because the name came up everytime Gideon whipped out his map book, so we started calling it Cradock. A quick glance at Cradock told us the GPS was right, the shortest route was going to go through Cradock!

We went through another great pass. Pity we were in such a hurry and no pics were taken. The sun was setting and we were a couple 100 k's from Bav.

The last pic before Bav with rain approaching over the mountains.

Riding into a sunset behind another bike is no fun at all! And when you're pushing along, shit can happen and almost did. I hit a sand patch and nearly ended up in the bushes at one stage. From there on I decided f*ck 80-90 on dirt...

We did the last 300 k's in the dark. Quite an experience. I ran over the tail of a civet cat and Gideon almost hit a snake. The last bit up to Willowmore was uneventful and we reached the town some time after 10. Fill up with oil and check the petrol and off to the campsite.

Gideon misjudged the first water crossing and ran off the road into a heap of sand. I got such a skrik that I forgot the forum rules about stuff like this and never even thought about the camera till after.

As can be seen from everybody else's pics, there was plenty of water crossings, but none caught us and we eventually rocked up at camp at 01:30 on Saturday morning the delight of a wild hoard of fellow dirt riders. Actually, only three stayed up, and I think it must have been because there was still cold beer around. I wasted no time and helped them finish the last few. Only after 3 in the morning did I eventually pitch my tent and crashed for the night. 1300km since I left my house and over a 1000 of them on dirt roads!

The rest later....much later

Offline mango

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 10:21:38 pm »
Well done Groenie....You and Gideon must of had a ball.....but
very brave to aproach the campsite under darkness....I would've
pitched my tent somewhere and waited till daylight....on second
thoughts....snakes?  :shock:

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 08:45:05 am »
Ongefokkenlooflik

Julle is of baie dom om in die nag te ry of baie braaf. Dalk was julle net baie dors :D

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 08:55:00 am »
Ai k√?¬™rels!

I've ridden dirt in the dark only once and it was frickin' scary! :shock:  You can not see/anticipate sandy patches and judge corners. Catches you unawares. Very stressfull riding like that. High concentration levels all the time on level 1 dirt. :oops:

Just people who love DS riding whould have pushed through. I know of a few of my friends (not forum members) who would have search the first motel/hotel and booked in and return back the next day.

Well done you crazy moegoe's! 8)
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 10:18:24 am »
Great report, awesome pics!  As for riding that last stretch in the dark - based on the pics of it being done in daylight, you're crazy!
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 10:22:18 am »
Thinking back on it, yes, we were crazy, but I would do it agian. Just take it slow and steady and forget about the time it takes. It's quite scary coming to a hump and everything beyond it is black......That means water crossing :!:

Those were quite scary at night.

Red

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 11:03:07 am »
Thanks for a great post.

One day when I grow up I'm going to ride routes like that.  You guys are pro's.

Offline accton

• Pack Dog
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 11:46:48 am »
Hey Groenie did you use the correct page on the map on your way home. :lol:  :lol:
hat you believe will depend very much on what you are.

Offline X Banana Boy

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 04:39:48 pm »
lekker.  thanks

Offline Leo

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 08:24:36 pm »
Great one txs  :wink:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 09:17:18 pm »
Quote from: "accton"
Hey Groenie did you use the correct page on the map on your way home. :lol:  :lol:

Patience my friend, we're getting to the going home part later.

For now it's on with the story.....Day 3

Because my tent was pitched closest to the gathering area, I didn't get much sleep the first night in Bav. Having only pitched the tent at around 3 in the morning and the rest of the gang getting up early to go exploring, I only got about 4-5 hours sleep. OK, first thing is coffee. I struggled out of bed only to find I have to boil my own water for coffee...ridiculous! But I remembered there were a few cold ones left over from the welcoming party. Ag, a Zamelek will do fine this early anyway.

The previous 2 days of hard riding really got me down and I decided to just hang around camp and give the gat a rest. Strange how beer can taste that good so early in the morning :wink:  

Suffice to say I had more than my share that day, and when BoJangles told us about her mishap, I was one of those that tried to hide. There must be a sober dude amongst all these Dual Sport rider that can swing a spanner, I thought. But being sober their hiding skills far out shone mine.

And that's where I thought: Julle fokken bliksems, laat hierdie fellow julle wys hoe doen mens dit. I'm ashamed to admit that a woman had to help me and then had to finish the job on her own.
Hats off to VERY capable lady - Rika!  :salute:  and to all you okes that sat drinking cold ones :bootyshake:

I wonder what you okes would do if your bike kakked out there in the bush - wait for a chick to come fix the hole in your sump? Disappointing  :cry:  :oops:

But as everyone knows by now, I crawled into my tent and had a good couple of hours' sleep and awoke quite refreshed, ready for more.

The party that night was quite good. What a great bunch of people! Even the Katoom okes were acceptable.. but the night ended eventually and we had to get up early again the next morning to head for home.

I was last to get my tent down and pack up as usual. This pic I'm borrowning from someone else -

So we left Baviaans with a whole bunch of new friends and some great stories not really suited for the internet.

And there we were, 2 against a thousand (actually slightly more)......
and, boy, did that 1300k's fuck us up!!!

I'll skip the pics of the way out, everyone else have posted great pics. We decided to go home the hard way - tar! The road between Willomore and Aberdeen must be the kakkest on earth, straight for 90 k's..... booooooring. And just after Aberdeen you get to this dry dam ( the wife knows the name, but she's asleep already)

We pushed hard, 120 actually, coz the T63's seemed to have had enough heat cycles and was not cracking up anymore. We still stopped every 100k's or less to smoke and top up oil and made our way to Colesberg. The rain was threatening and we decided to call it a day.

What can be better than sharing your room with your riding buddy?

The next day was just pure hell!!! We made it to Kroonstad before the rain hit and from there it was cold, miserable, windy and WET.

But what a trip! One I would always remember and here's one to a great riding buddy! Cheers Gideon, thanx vir 'n moerse trip.

All in all I did just over 2600km in 5 days and can still feel it in my arse.... but it was such a great experience that I would do it again at the drop of a hat.

A few last thoughts:

Thanx to BoJangles for a FAAAAAAARKING GREAT party. Well done ou girl!

Rika het my verras.

Sharky, even though you were not there, the stuff you taught me the previous weekend in the sand saved my arse out there on the dirt that night.

Keep practicing the stuff you learnt. You never know when you're going to need it.

And last to all the okes that made the effort to go. I'm still amazed at what a bunch of great people I met.

As Jim Morrison said: Keep eyes on the road, your hands upon the (bars), Let it roll, baby roll, all night long.....

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 09:22:50 pm »
Just pissy I  could not be there boys.

And Gideon, great choice, "Tullamore Dew" nectar of the ods.

Welsh   8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 09:24:44 pm »
Couldnt find my Jameson but YES was a greate ride one going down in the record books as the YOU DID WHAT RIDE

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.