Amazing what you find behind Grassy Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
It is amazing what you can find right on your doorstep.

Paul (KTMBigger) had been keen for a ride and as the only time I had was Tuesday morning for a few hours, so be it.

We met in Deip River, and then headed off to some new trails that I found the week before behind Grassy Park.

110348852-M.jpg

We got under the Power Lines and headed though Grassy Park. Within a couple of hundred meters I took my first tumble and broke the folding mirror off. Too much throttle on wet grass with Scorpion Pirellis is not a really clever thing.

110348876-M.jpg

Not far from here we get into the agricultural lands with great sandy roads.

110348904-M.jpg

The previous week I had taken an inviting looking bit of sand that headed off along a fence and up a dune. By the time I had realised how much trouble I could be in I couldn?t turn around and just had to see where it headed. The fence took a turn that left me with nothing but a steep drop on one side and the fence on the other, no pictures but it was not very clever being on my own. So, in the spirit of showing Paul EVERYTING I sent him along the fence. Well, he does have a much smaller 626. He cleaned it but it reminded me why 950?s shouldn?t stray too far from the semi-beaten track.

After some backtracking I found the gap in the dunes to get headed in the direction of the sea. There is a massive sand pit that I think they use commercial for bulding sand that is a lot of fun.

Paul doing his thing.

110348923-M.jpg

110351888-M.jpg

110348973-M.jpg

110349046-M.jpg

110349127-M.jpg

From there, there are footpath tracks that weave their way between the fynbos. It is deep sand but fun. I fell off a few times, but falling in this stuff is not serious, nothing gets broken. The track is great for smaller bikes and a bit of a challenge for big ones but huge fun nonetheless. The tracks seem to be kept clear by quads but not a lot of people must go there. It really is an amazing bit of riding right on our doorstep.

Spot the tracks?

110349505-M.jpg

Just when you get a bit gatvol of the sand there are more solid patches like these.

110349202-M.jpg

110349302-M.jpg

There is a good hill climb, Paul showing how it should be done. The video is side on unfortunately ? just turn your monitor on its side!

Looking like a Pro

I am continually surprised at what a 950 can do, it got up here no problem.

110349564-M.jpg

From there it was back towards Zeekoevlei. We swapped bikes. His 625 seems as though the piston keeps still and the rest of the bike is attached to the crank shaft. But no doubt it rides on the sand rather than through it. It is a lot more focused than mine. He seemed to have fun with mine. At the lights getting onto the M5 a GSX600/700? Tried to dice, the torque of the 950 put him easily away. It was then back to Paul?s house for a coffee and a chat.

110349378-M.jpg

110349448-M.jpg

Then it was back to the office, some of us have to work!

This is the track, go check it out, its great fun.

110348797-L.jpg