Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 is Going 2 Malawi  (Read 3444 times)

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: DR650 is Going 2 Malawi
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 08:00:55 pm »
Hi G2M

Nice seeing a plan (dream) coming together, I'll be watching this thread! ;D

Ganjora

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 08:01:57 pm »
d606's are better than sliced bread.
they are outstanding on tar,  and will handle serious cornering before letting go.
in the dirt,  there is nothing better on a 650 scrambler.

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 08:34:50 pm »
D606's it is then. my back tire's looking a little bit used  >:D

Got the topbox tonight, as my 'responsible commuting extra'.
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline MildDog

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 11:29:58 pm »
yes yes... I'm talking to myself  ???

I bought 2 * 5lt fuel cans, will post racks once built.

I also bought those little reflective arm bands, and put them on my ATGATT jacket at the elbow. They actually don't look half bad, and were only R30ish, nice little extra safety thingy... less dumb looking than my relective bib.

Ganjora

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 06:19:51 am »
going to be at groenie on sunday.   will have him measure and draw the 'kykdaar monster luggage rack' for you.   it really is wonderfully over-engineered - would stand up to a nuclear explosion,  i reckon.

on the tyre front: incredible as d606's (5000km max) are,  there's 4 months of JHB until dec.   runner, adventurer and others rate the heidi's.   booked myself and a 6pack into runner's tomorrow am for new shoes for the lady.   the heidi's are good for about8-9000km,  they say.   if the dirt surefootedness is there.....   well,  lets see first.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 08:01:53 am »
going to be at groenie on sunday.   will have him measure and draw the 'kykdaar monster luggage rack' for you.   it really is wonderfully over-engineered - would stand up to a nuclear explosion,  i reckon.

on the tyre front: incredible as d606's (5000km max) are,  there's 4 months of JHB until dec.   runner, adventurer and others rate the heidi's.   booked myself and a 6pack into runner's tomorrow am for new shoes for the lady.   the heidi's are good for about8-9000km,  they say.   if the dirt surefootedness is there.....   well,  lets see first.

Boet, will see you there. The green man is building me a set of side luggage racks. I will bring beer :thumleft:

On the Heidi's - are you talking of the 130 or 140? If 130 beware that they do not last as long as the 140.

IMHO our bikes are best suited to knobblies and I am going to make a predictition and say that you will go back to the D606's in future.

Ganjora

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 08:19:57 am »
was talking about the 140.   whether or not the lady is prepared to wear them is another story.   will check her reaction when we go shoe shoppping tomorrow,  and take it from there.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 08:26:32 am »
Seems a pity to drag 10 liters of fuel along for your entire trip. There are few stretches between here an malawi where there are more that 200km with no fuel. Just fill up whenever you see a pump or an oke with a bottle of petrol on the side of the road. IF it looks like ite will be too far, buy 1 bottle of brandy, 2 2l cokes, drink contents, fill with petrol, drive 120km, fill tank, discard bottles. Easy!

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 08:46:50 am »
Seems a pity to drag 10 liters of fuel along for your entire trip. There are few stretches between here an malawi where there are more that 200km with no fuel. Just fill up whenever you see a pump or an oke with a bottle of petrol on the side of the road. IF it looks like ite will be too far, buy 1 bottle of brandy, 2 2l cokes, drink contents, fill with petrol, drive 120km, fill tank, discard bottles. Easy!

You can easily get over 250km on a tank if you tame your right hand.  I know that's difficult, but just 2 extra litres in a coke bottle will take you to over 300km, which should be far enough for most purposes.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 09:29:19 am »
Fuel:
mmmm... maybe I'll just take one of the 5lt cans and strap it to the top of my luggage somewhere. gives me an extra 100kms for the dry patches, I think it's essential to have extra fuel on a bike with such a small tank.

Tires:
That was why I liked the idea of the Kings KT966, decent offroad and onroad handling, and they're harder so I guess you'll get decent mileage on the tar out of them. Only concern is handling on wet tar? Though lecap swears by them...

Groenie:
Will those side-luggage racks match the top one? please post pics when done :) I'm needing my pooratech engineer less and less.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 04:40:45 pm »
Crossed-up, looking at the forum using UCT's bandwidth. tsk tsk  :o very nice bike by the way... think we can breed ours and make little DR200's or maybe even DRZ-400s?

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 06:42:09 pm »
Crossed-up, looking at the forum using UCT's bandwidth. tsk tsk  :o very nice bike by the way... think we can breed ours and make little DR200's or maybe even DRZ-400s?

UCT's bandwidth?  :laughing4: :imaposer: :o   That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.  At least my feed isn't strangulated like the students'.   :deal: :xxbah:

I came down and had a look at your bike.  Sorry I missed you.  Hell, but it's just so shiny and new!   :drif:  :drif:  :drif:

It must be a dream to ride.  I'm very jealous, but then I don't mind dropping mine, and I do from time to time.   :D

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2009, 05:35:40 pm »

UCT's bandwidth?  :laughing4: :imaposer: :o   That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.  At least my feed isn't strangulated like the students'.   :deal: :xxbah:

I came down and had a look at your bike.  Sorry I missed you.  Hell, but it's just so shiny and new!   :drif:  :drif:  :drif:

It must be a dream to ride.  I'm very jealous, but then I don't mind dropping mine, and I do from time to time.   :D

Indeed I remember that time you bliksemed down in the quarry... eina!

Ganjora

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 07:37:55 am »
so,  got some new shoes for the girl.
seems Kykdaar knows me quite well,  got new D606's,  front and back.
1 heidi rear = R1200
front and rear D606's R1450 from Runner.

did a familiar loop this morning,  so much better than the oem trailwings...

Offline MildDog

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 12:08:19 pm »
Crossed-up: thanks, I know the first time I drop her I'm going to shed a little tear. Your bike looks adequatly dirty, i need to get mine like that, otherwise I'm just a poser...

Ganjora: I'm running trailwings at the moment, they are very slippery offroad. what sort of mileage do you get out of the D606's on tar?

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2009, 12:19:04 pm »
Am watching this thread. All the best. Take some of the serious advice given.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 02:53:02 pm »
Crossed-up: thanks, I know the first time I drop her I'm going to shed a little tear. Your bike looks adequatly dirty, i need to get mine like that, otherwise I'm just a poser...

Don't forget my bike's done almost 65 000km - you've got a long way to go.  You'll have plenty opportunity to get cred on your Malawi trip, I'm sure.

Offline Rob_A

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 03:27:01 pm »
Hi G2M

Congratulations on your new bike.

Probably one of the cheapest and most effective mods you can do is to lower the needle setting one notch and use fully synthetic Motul oil. My DR ran much cooler after doing just that.
There come  times in your life when you must say goodbye to the things you know & hi to the things you don't know.

Offline MildDog

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2009, 07:21:21 pm »
Hi G2M

Congratulations on your new bike.

Probably one of the cheapest and most effective mods you can do is to lower the needle setting one notch and use fully synthetic Motul oil. My DR ran much cooler after doing just that.

Thanks! sounds smart & simple.

Ganjora

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 09:18:29 pm »
@G2M:  5 - 6000km depending.   They feel very dodgy for the 1st coupla hundred km as they settle down,  but after that,  brilliant.   Not the tyre for speed however.   at more than about 120kph you can actually watch the knobs wearing down.   they also 'sing' at about 90kph.   at higher speeds the front tends to 'wander' a bit,  totally predictable,  and dissapears immediately if you tap off the throttle.