Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 is Going 2 Malawi  (Read 3449 times)

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Re: DR650 is Going 2 Malawi
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 11:06:00 pm »
Next are the tools and spares. We have 3 screwdrivers and 1 shifting spanner in my entire house. What are the tools I need to get for the DR650?
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 07:12:30 am »
Tyre repair kit:
  tyre levers - nice good quality ones.  If you've got lots of money you can buy combination spanner/tyre
     lever tools which are very nice.
  patches and solution (proper big patches - not bicycle)
  a pump (electric if you've got space) - teach yourself to fix punctures as soon as you can

Pratley Steel - for when you knock a hole in your crankcase!

Cable ties

Jumper cables - if you've got space - you cannot push start a DR on a soft surface

duct tape

The DR's toolkit should have a funny looking spanner for the front axle.

8, 10, 12 and 17mm  and one side of the rear axle.  Use your shifter on the other.

3, 5 and 6 mm Allen keys

Philips screwdriver

A Leatherman is handy

Become familiar with chain maintenance.

Fit heavy duty tubes and buy spare tubes to take with you.

When you service or fix your bike make it a habit to use only the tools you carry on the bike.  That way you get to know what tools are necessary.  You also find out which OEM tools are crap and need replacement.

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 12:05:38 pm »
Crossed up can fix anything on his bike with a leatherman

Offline MildDog

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 12:48:37 pm »
I've got the 96 manual from crossed-up (THANKS!) and a part fiche from bike bandit (super useful) http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-parts/oem-parts... It's got different models: k1/k2/k3 and so forth, how do I work out what mine is, being an '05 from RSA?

Offline MildDog

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 08:55:36 pm »
I got some REAL tires today, well I bought some kings kt966's :) (will get the dunlops when I leave cape town and will be on dirt 80% of the time, thought they'd just get worn down riding to UCT and back all the time)... I am LOVING my bike... riding home did some hectic lane-splitting and then turned onto the N2 and rode into the sunset, it just seems to be getting better and better  :ricky:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:56:02 pm by G2M »

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2009, 09:01:56 pm »
You should hook up with Crossed-up! He also works at UCT, he controls the mass-spectro-meters, worth R12milion! :mwink: You should let him give you a tour there, very cool! Cant wait to go visit that place again

Offline MildDog

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 10:02:52 pm »
You should hook up with Crossed-up! He also works at UCT, he controls the mass-spectro-meters, worth R12milion! :mwink: You should let him give you a tour there, very cool! Cant wait to go visit that place again

yeah, he called himself a "technical wallo" but didn't explain what he did. what does a mass-spectro-meter do anyway? there's some amazing stuff on campus hey! i control the books in my library worth R10s of rands :) I'll see if he'll teach me about his work sometime soon.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2009, 10:16:49 pm »
Hey G2M, good news about the tyres.  I now expect you to ride the quarry area on Sunday afternoon.  Swing by my place and we can go out there together.  

Anybody else who would like some non-competitive trundling around the quarry and surrounding areas is very welcome.  I don't want to start a "planning-a-ride" thread because nothing is cast in stone yet.

Crossed up can fix anything on his bike with a leatherman

I can't fix my Leatherman - so it's in for a replacement blade.  I've got backup - a "Swissman".

yeah, he called himself a "technical wallo" but didn't explain what he did. what does a mass-spectro-meter do anyway? there's some amazing stuff on campus hey! i control the books in my library worth R10s of rands :) I'll see if he'll teach me about his work sometime soon.

Wallah - Indian - means fellow, chap, "oke".   The boy in Slumdog Millionaire was a cha-wallah - teaboy. 

Do drop by next week for the thruppenny tour.

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »
Oh and dont forget, 11pm is tea time, tea is very important Etienne - Dave
:D
Man what a great time I had there!

Offline MildDog

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2009, 10:35:21 pm »
Hey G2M, good news about the tyres.  I now expect you to ride the quarry area on Sunday afternoon.  Swing by my place and we can go out there together.  

Anybody else who would like some non-competitive trundling around the quarry and surrounding areas is very welcome.  I don't want to start a "planning-a-ride" thread because nothing is cast in stone yet.

Wallah - Indian - means fellow, chap, "oke".   The boy in Slumdog Millionaire was a cha-wallah - teaboy.  

Do drop by next week for the thruppenny tour.

I hope we can manage without the leatherman, but yes definately. Sunday afternoon is now booked for 'non-competitive trundling around the quarry and surrounding areas'  :thumleft: We'll chat closer to the time to confirm the details...

Sadly I'm on campus now (my girlfriend is as well) we're working away, being real students and drinking tea. tea is very important :)

(apart from all the kark I talk in this thread I will keep posting my mods as they happen... next up are the sump guard and handlebar raisers both from le cap... I bought an airhawk last week and haven't bothered to put it on yet, my ass is adjusting to the pain and I couldn't get the seat off the first time I tried... I'll put it on before the quarry)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:16:54 pm by G2M »

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 09:59:18 pm »
I bought an airhawk last week and haven't bothered to put it on yet, my ass is adjusting to the pain and I couldn't get the seat off the first time I tried... I'll put it on before the quarry)

If you ride according to the accepted style you'll never need an Airhawk - you have to: "stand up, head up, bum out, open up".  This is, of course, how I get up in the morning.   :biggrin:

Seriously, save the Airhawk for going to Malawi.  It'll probably just get ripped by the wattles.

Ganjora

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2009, 05:53:06 am »
according to lecap the best (cheapest) solution is to wear ridign pants under your kit.
i'd never admit to owning cycling shorts...
your arse will adjust.   i had a klr some time ago - that also works well at toughening your rear,  then again maybe it was all that time in the holding cells that did it....

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2009, 05:56:03 am »
according to lecap the best (cheapest) solution is to wear riding pants under your kit.
i'd never admit to owning cycling shorts...
your arse will adjust.   i had a klr some time ago - that also works well at toughening your rear,  then again maybe it was all that time in the holding cells that did it....

:o :o

:D

Ganjora

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2009, 06:00:05 am »
now that i think about it,  everytime i've stayed the night at KiLRoy "The Sodomiser's" house,  i've always woken with a sore bum...

Ganjora

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2009, 06:00:44 am »
now that i think about it,  everytime i've stayed the night at KiLRoy "The Sodomiser's" house,  i've always woken with a sore bum...

and head and liver,  but i think that was from the brandewyn....

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2009, 06:05:32 am »

Something you wanna tel us...or maybe not know about  ???   :imaposer: just joking!

Offline CHorse

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2009, 07:01:59 am »

Eish.........how can I unread something  :eek7:

Offline MildDog

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2009, 03:05:35 pm »
1) WTF happened to this thread...? At least DR riders have a real reason to dislike KLR riders...  :pot:

2) My bike is very smokey on start up... what is the correct time/procedure for checking oil levels? There are no drips or anything under the bike, but the cold start in the morning produces a very impressive cloud of grey smoke.

3) New tires are very slippery on the tar, 2 or 3 times now when I've been a little bit rough gearing down I've heard the back wheel lock up, if the tires or my clutch work don't soften up I worry I may eat tarmac :(

4) I've adjusted to the slight discomfort on my ass I feel all the time and think the airhawk may've been an unnessecary expense.

5) I bought a map yesterday (R81) from Exclusive Books, the Touring Map of the Western Cape (I will load pictures soon), it shows which roads are tarred and which ones are gravel... Soon, very soon, I will start riding around the gravel farm roads of the greater Western Cape Area  :ricky: Will be doing Witsand and back one weekend this month: ride up, sleep there 1 night, return via Cape Aghulas the next morning... anyone wana go with?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:09:20 pm by G2M »

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2009, 05:23:09 pm »
1) WTF happened to this thread...? At least DR riders have a real reason to dislike KLR riders...  :pot:

2) My bike is very smokey on start up... what is the correct time/procedure for checking oil levels? There are no drips or anything under the bike, but the cold start in the morning produces a very impressive cloud of grey smoke.

3) New tires are very slippery on the tar, 2 or 3 times now when I've been a little bit rough gearing down I've heard the back wheel lock up, if the tires or my clutch work don't soften up I worry I may eat tarmac :(

4) I've adjusted to the slight discomfort on my ass I feel all the time and think the airhawk may've been an unnessecary expense.

5) I bought a map yesterday (R81) from Exclusive Books, the Touring Map of the Western Cape (I will load pictures soon), it shows which roads are tarred and which ones are gravel... Soon, very soon, I will start riding around the gravel farm roads of the greater Western Cape Area  :ricky: Will be doing Witsand and back one weekend this month: ride up, sleep there 1 night, return via Cape Aghulas the next morning... anyone wana go with?

Your thread had been slightly hijacked.  It happens. :'(

It's possible that your valve stem seals are worn.  This could have happened if the head got too hot for a while and the seals hardened.  I'm just guessing - LeCap would give an informed opinion.

When I see you tomorrow we can discuss routine inspection/service etc.

ALL tyres can be very tricky on tar for at least the first 100-200km.  Generally speaking our bikes are not powerful enough to give the sorts of problems with tyres that others have - they have to heat cycle the tyres to toughen them up.  Otherwise they easily break chunks out of them.  All tyres with aggressive tread are sub-optimal on dry tar.  Some more so than others.  All knobblies are lethal on wet tar.  You just learn to ride accordingly.

Keep your Airhawk for really long rides, like Malawi.  When you ride day after day your arse doesn't get time to recover between rides and you can have all sorts of pain.  You'll appreciate the Airhawk then.

The WC riders are a bit quiet at the moment, but keep watching the planning a ride section.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2009, 05:33:21 pm »
Your bike has only done 12K, i was wondering about the valve stem seals, always a little smoke on start up, but stops when engine heat to normal. Valve stem seals sometimes harden when a bike stands for long periods as well. Nothing to worry about. However, you say its a greyis smoke...carb not to rich? Whats your fuel consumption, stand behind the bike, do you smell petrol perhaps? Any oil consumption? Is the exhaust dry? (canister)

If its only valve stem seals, relax, it shouldn't use any oil then.