Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 is Going 2 Malawi  (Read 3443 times)

Offline MildDog

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Re: DR650 is Going 2 Malawi
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2009, 11:25:10 pm »
Yeah, the hijack is to be expected... it's fairly amusing :) I'm not upsetting, just amazed at what get's written here, I do my fair bit of talking kak elsewhere on here though...

@TVB: The bike stands inside overnight so I'd be very surprised it's moisture in the exhaust canister. oil consumption: dunno yet (not sure how to measure it properly).

We'll look tomorrow at the bike, but I was thinking the bike has just come down from Jo'burg, thinner air, so it may just be carb settings. Lecap just serviced it so I'll see what he says :) Thanks for all the input guys.
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2009, 12:27:46 am »
2) My bike is very smokey on start up... what is the correct time/procedure for checking oil levels? There are no drips or anything under the bike, but the cold start in the morning produces a very impressive cloud of grey smoke.

3) New tires are very slippery on the tar, 2 or 3 times now when I've been a little bit rough gearing down I've heard the back wheel lock up, if the tires or my clutch work don't soften up I worry I may eat tarmac :(

Think it's the stem seals. did not smoke after standing upright on the paddock stand. (oil drains down timing chain tunnel)
For confirmation park bike leaned against the wall to the right.

Don't gear down harshly - any four stroke single.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline MildDog

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2009, 03:51:09 pm »
Did my first real sand yesterday... me and the bike went down all over the place. Though, strangely, not ever in the whoops, more often trying to cross sticks/humps I'd stall and drop it, what a kak feeling those SLLOOOOWWWW falls are... Big thanks to Crossed-up for the time and patience and lessons. Awesome fun... My bike farms really well, into sand and into trees, some scratched plastics and my mirrors were all in the wrong place but overall she's fine.

HOWEVER, last night after hosing down the bike and after having ridden the clutch ALOT in the sandy stuff when I tried to ride her she kept stalling, trying to pull away in 1st felt like it was 5th gear. I revved the shit out my bike and rode until it went away, then when I got home I re-adjusted the hand-guard because I think it may have been holding the clutch lever in slightly. But any ideas what can make a bike stall like that? (I was using the clutch correctly and even used the choke, she just kept dieing, it's gone now... I'm just worried about what that was: water in something important? worn clutch plate?)...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 03:52:00 pm by G2M »

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2009, 09:16:58 am »
Hope you did not use a pressure cleaner?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline MildDog

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2009, 11:06:25 am »
Hope you did not use a pressure cleaner?
No no... i've read too many bad things about them. Just used a regular hosepipe and a cloth with some warm soapy water. The stalling has gone away, think it may have been from the handguard holding the clutch slightly open- which's probably not good for it long term.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2009, 12:55:29 pm »
Sounds like you had a speck of dirt in the carb.  Often falling dislodges crap in the tank, tap and fuel lines which makes its way into the carb.  If you're lucky it found its way out through the main jet when you "revved the shit out your bike".  Otherwise it's lurking in the float chamber ready mess with you again.

It was a great afternoon out there.  Get ready for Part 2!

Offline MildDog

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2009, 01:31:32 pm »
Sounds like you had a speck of dirt in the carb. 
Yeah, I'm hoping it was that- seems cheaper to fix than clutch problems :)

It was a great afternoon out there.  Get ready for Part 2!
I'm ready :biggrin: when will Part 2 be happening? and is part 2 going to be more difficult than part 1? I guess my bike is going to get used to farming then  :o

Offline Griffin

• SSS (jr. Member)
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2009, 04:13:15 am »
Interesting thread. I'm reading every thing I can find on the DR650 while waiting for mine to be brought down to CT (next weekend :-\ )Is the Malawi trip still on?

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2009, 07:52:01 am »
Interesting thread. I'm reading every thing I can find on the DR650 while waiting for mine to be brought down to CT (next weekend :-\ )Is the Malawi trip still on?

Is that the weekend of the 12th.  Keep an eye on:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=41695.0

It's a stiffish and quite daunting ride for most (myself included) but scenic and rewarding.  G2M this ride is for you, too.

Offline Griffin

• SSS (jr. Member)
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2009, 08:29:45 am »
....quite daunting ride for most (myself included) but scenic and rewarding.  G2M this ride is for you, too.

:o
Baby steps for me. It'll be a while before I'm ready for a ride like that.