Ama's BavBash report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ama ride ride

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Firstly a bit of a bla-bla (sorry bla) before I start my post.

My and Mrs Ama?s attendance to the BavBash was till a week before departing not confirmed yet. This was due to uncertainties attached to my new job in JHB. Upon receiving information about starting dates etc I found that it?s a month later than originally budgeted. So a quick pm was sent to BoJangles and all monies deposited.

Like everybody said this trip was unforgettable but to us it was something extra special. It was to be our last trip in the Cape for a long time, as we will be moving to Jozi early in January. It was also our first overnight bike trip where Mrs Ama rode her own bike. The only gravel Mrs Ama rode before this trip was about a kilometre stretch near Rawsonville. So she was in biking terms a very inexperienced gravel rider. She did me proud, despite two minor spills.

My apologies offered for the poor quality pics, as there was some marks on my camera?s lens, which I did not see till nearly to late.

At 3 o'clock Friday morning we found ourselves wide awake and could not sleep. So we got up and around 4:30 the noses of our trusty steeds pointed north east on the N1 on our way out of the sleeping city.

Two hours later we stopped for fuel in Montagu and Mrs Ama declared again her love for her blue lover.

BMW may not be the best offroaders (ok ok I know I stir) but at the pumps very few bikes can beat them. I got around 19km/l and Mrs Ama 22km/l and this was around 120km/h

The next stop, for breakfast, was at the Country Pumpkin in Barrydale. Bikers stopping here get a free shot of sherry, a nice badge and 10% discount.

In the Huisrivier pass I decided to stop to take in the scenery. I however realised too late that the ground was not level and Mrs Ama whose feet just barely tough the ground toppled over. Resulting in a broken indicator that we removed quickly.

From here we shot past Oudtshoorn to fuel up in De Rust and then with the tar road to the N9 and the start of the gravel to the baviaans. Mrs Ama was a bit nervous here. But when I stopped a few km further to check if she is ok she asked me to ride a bit faster.

Further on and very relaxed

First water crossing for Mrs Ama

All smiles behind that helmet

We arrived around 2 o'clock at the gate to the bush camp. We did not expected our good friend LuckyStriker to be the welcoming committee at the last mud/water hole crossing and Mrs Ama decided to show him that a lady can also behave like a rowdy biker and took a cool down swim with her blue lover joining in the fun.

A special note - Before the BavBash it was not a well known fact that both Mrs Ama and myself are deaf persons. So we appreciate the efforts and that most forum members were not rattled by this minor fact and did not jump up and desapear screaming over the nearest hill.. You rock!

The next day we paired up with Mr and Mrs 2deteerpadmoffie and friend Dawie (all three also deaf persons) from Bloemfontein to explore the bowls of the Baviaans.

We used the pillions to test the dept of the muddy water.

We decide not to try the water crossing at Smithskraal en turned back and go and relax in the cool water at a lovely crossing. We stayed there nearly and hour swimming and playing in the water current while Dawie fed us small shots of Rum to stay warm.

That evening at the spitbraai everybody was very hungry and a meat fight broke out

Next day it was home again with the loveley R62

My name is Ama Ride Ride and I ride a lot....