You have to see Victoria Falls for real once in your life.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Three months after my wife moved from the city to our farm I asked her would she like to go on a trip. She said no because being on the farm feels like holiday to her after having a stressful job in the city. I said lets go to Vic Falls. You have to see it for real once in your life. A date was set, bikes serviced and starting to count the sleeps.(I did)
008.jpg

July 2006. All packed and ready to leave. First day would be 600 odd km to Lutzville on the West Coast.
This was my first trip useing a digital camera. Took a while to realise that I can take as many pics as I want it
will not cost me more!Did not take a lot in the beginning but warmed up later on!
001.jpg

Turnoff to Ais-Ais. Namibia had a very wet year. Flowers everywhere.
002.jpg

The hot waters of the spring is good for a tired body.
004.jpg

Amanda cooking supper. Very expencive campsite. R290 for two people in a tent!!
003.jpg

Lunchstop on the open flat plains.
005.jpg

006.jpg

We stayed in Mariental in the campsite. Amanda is showing the watermark where the water went
through the buildings in Feb of that year. The whole town was under water. The Hardap dam above
town overflowed. I believe its the second time it has happened.
007.jpg

We stayed with friends in Windhoek. We had to go and eat in Joes beerhouse. I think this guy is one of the
bounsers!!
P1000026.jpg

The next day was spent walking around Windhoek.
P1000029.jpg

Earlymorningstart to the Botswanaborder.
P1000030.jpg

I just had to stop in the little town I lived in. Witvlei. Not much then and not any bigger now. This place was built
after I left. Left of this building is the yard were we used to park our trucks when were there. Twenty-eight in total
when I left in 1988. I saw a lot of Namibia through the window of a truck. We only transported cattle and veggies
back to Nam from SA. If you were on the border in that time I trucked your veggies. Every second week I was in
Ondangwa.
WitvleiDrie.jpg

In the yard.
WitvleiTwee.jpg

Between Walvisbay and Swakop.
WitvleiEen.jpg

Those were good days.
P1000032.jpg

Gobabis. In those days the numberplate for Gobabis were SX and people joked by saying the X is for the
Texas of Namibia. Lots of cattlefarms. Some became gamefarms in later years when Namibia had a touristboom
after independance.
P1000033.jpg

We stopped for the night at Zeldas lodge ten kms from the border. There is a tent with two beds under the thatch.
All for R95.00.
P1000036.jpg

They had some cats there that were caught by farmers and they will be taken to safer areas. We looked on as they
were fed.
P1000046.jpg

P1000040.jpg

Possible catfood later on?
P1000047.jpg

The next morning we met these to guys on their way to Jburg from Windhoek at the border. Both brandnew.
P1000048.jpg

We would stop every 80-100km just to catch up on what we have see as we had no coms with eachother.
P1000050.jpg

Met this Dutch bunch in Ghanzi. Imagine the fuelbill on that truck. They were going down to CT. We were planning
to go up to Popa Falls and then to Katima but there was a shooting on the road near Bagani and they never caught
the gunmen and we decided to keep on to Maun.
P1000051.jpg

We spent the rest of the day dodging donkeys,dogs and cattle. Got to Audicamp late afternoon.The next day
we rode around Maun. A very busy place. We did not have enough money to do any of the tours on offer.
They were very expencive.
P1000052.jpg

We grabbed this thatchbuilding to pitch our tent under.
P1000053.jpg

P1000055-1.jpg

We were starting to see the "upsidedown" trees on the way to Nata. Lots of potholes on this road.
P1000057.jpg

P1000056.jpg

We had a good stay at Nata lodge. Sadly this place burned down a while ago but has been rebuilt I believe.

Rest will follow later.....