Winston's Pillion Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Winston sent an e-mail to the locals here in Emp/RBay area for a nice pillion friendly ride to Goedetrou Dam then along to Melmoth, down the old Melmoth pass and breakfast at MFuli Game Park. 7 bikes turned out for the ride, ranging from a 950, couple of KLRs and a KLE, and a Versus, with one lone Dakar 650.....and this is one well traveled dakkar.

winston002.jpg

We meet at the usual petol garage and left at 8am. Travel tar for the first 40 kms then it was gravel time  :thumleft:

regroup at the gravel

winston007.jpg

winston009.jpg

After a couple of km's we got to Shakaland

winston012.jpg

I was last here 16 years ago and things have changed quite a bit. It has become more touristy and I believe very expensive but you are welcome to go inside and have a look see  :thumleft:

Some pics of Shakaland

winston015.jpg

Shaka

winston016.jpg

;D no comment

winston018.jpg

A very important place

winston023.jpg

Geodetrou dam seen from Shakaland

winston024.jpg

and on the way to the dam

winston035.jpg

atgatt.......natal style  ;D

winston038.jpg

some of the others

winston040.jpg

winston042.jpg

Bass fishing at the dam

winston049.jpg

After having a smoke break on the dam wall it was of to a vantage point that Winston said we would enjoy, all I know was that the gravel road there was  :thumleft:. Nice and fast, with lots of corners, uphill and down hill but mostly up.

Some pics of the guys and girls coming up

winston056.jpg

winston062.jpg

winston063.jpg

winston064.jpg

winston066.jpg

winston067.jpg

Looking down too the dam

winston076.jpg

and where we were going to travel

winston083.jpg

winston085.jpg

some more traveling pics, this ride takes you through some beautiful country side

winston087.jpg

winston092.jpg

Here comes the pack  ;D

winston102.jpg

winston104.jpg

winston105.jpg

Once we got to the tar it was on to the old melmoth pass, I did not take the camera out as I was having too much fun riding down the pass. It reminded me a bit of Bain's kloof pass, but as it is unused today the is quite a lot of erotion and tar missing in places. Nothing to get you into too much trouble but absolute fun to ride.

We regrouped at the bottom of the pass and once all together made our way to Mfuli Game Park for late breakfast and some BEER  :thumleft:

winston110.jpg

Some pics of Mfuli

winston112.jpg

winston117.jpg

winston116.jpg

Winston thanks very much for a great day and ride. May you and Wendy still fly many miles on the trusty KLR  :biggrin:

winston128.jpg

I am sure there will be many more pics added some.