Fugly rides Knysna, surrounds and Goldfields - Update 31 August 2010

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fugly

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Sorry it's been some time coming but I will do my best to entertain.

At short notice, Fugly decided to find a nice BnB in Knysna for the weekend and decided on a place on the Island called Rest a While which turned to to be a good choice, Thelma and Danie were really great hosts and the rates were good.

I high tailed it to Knysna at 3pm on Friday 7 August hoping to catch the Friday market at the school. 2 & a half hours later, I was in a familiar paradise on Leisure Isle and after checking in, went off to market only to find out it is in hibernation for the winter and will only resume in spring.

So after grabbing a bottle of red and a bite to eat I retired to the BnB for a drink on the balcony before retiring to bed. This is the view from the private balcony of my bedroom.

Knysna09002.jpg

Day 1

Early the next morning, I enjoyed the view from the balcony with a cup of tea before setting off to the Sedgefield Market for breakfast and coffee but not before taking a pic of the BnB from outside.

balconyview.jpg

restawhile1.jpg

Those who have never been to the market need to do so when in the area, it’s on every Saturday morning. There are stalls galore and it’s just a nice way to start the day.

Knysna09016.jpg

Knysna09018.jpg

Knysna09019.jpg

Knysna09020.jpg

Knysna09021.jpg

Knysna09022.jpg

Knysna09023.jpg

The mime was mildly amusing, especially when he moved and scared the crap out of the kids.

Knysna09024.jpg

After my regulation bacon roll and 3 cups of coffee, I decided to just take any roads I could find on the way back to Knysna where I was to meet Swambo and family. Ruigtevlei/Karatara was the first promising sign that attracted my attention so I took it.

Knysna09026.jpg

After riding past the plantation for a while I came across another tempting road across a low bridge which I also took.

Knysna09028.jpg

Knysna09029.jpg

After riding for a while I again found a little dirt road branching off and I just couldn’t resist, the scenery was just awesome as were the roads.

Knysna09035.jpg

Knysna09031.jpg

The “Lewens Gevaarlik” with her Anakees was put to the test further down the beaten track and performed flawlessly.

Knysna09036.jpg

Knysna09038.jpg

Knysna09039.jpg

After rejoining the main road, I continued on my journey and passed some amazing farmlands before heading on towards a few of the well known passes.

Farmland.jpg

Spulpunt.jpg

Farmland1.jpg

Farmland2.jpg

Geelhouttimbers.jpg

Knysna09051.jpg

They even have a little Hollywood!

Knysna09052.jpg

And then I continued on my merry way.

Knysna09054.jpg

Knysna09055.jpg

Knysna09056.jpg

But then I thought that I found the mother lode and just couldn’t resist a look!

Knysna09061.jpg

Knysna09064.jpg

Knysna09066.jpg

Turns out it was a hut along the Outeniqua trail so I just kept following the road. But I soon found out that I no longer like the forestry people.

Knysna09069.jpg

Knysna09067.jpg

Knysna09068.jpg

And yes the gate was locked, otherwise I would have gone for it >:D