KZN Renegade Recce Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
which all so was a photo shot  ;D

Chicco need to go recce some of the route that the KZN renegade weekend would follow. At the same time it would be the perfect excuse to test the new machine....990S  :drif:

very very nice.

So after a quick couple of e-mail from chicco he orginised a ride saturday morning. We meet at 7am at the caltex. The guy that bought chicco's pld 990 was also there. So that made 3 KTMs, a BMW1200adv ( first one I have ridden with since being in here, most the guys with 1200 prefer the tar  :dontknow: ), a KLR ans an XT660.

The meet and greet

chiccoride002.jpg

chicco's new ride

chiccoride004.jpg

The first bit was tar, about 15km. We stop at the start of the dirt for a quick photo session

chiccoride007.jpg

chiccoride009.jpg

chiccoride010.jpg

Two of the riders with us were noobs to the bike. This was the owner of chiccos old bikes first ride with the 990 on dirt and the BMW 1200 had not seen that much gravel either. So the pace was nice and relaxed along good gravel roads long side the railway lines heading north.

We stop and a loading station for another photo shoot  :biggrin:

the pack of dawgs
chiccoride011.jpg

chiccoride014.jpg

ain't they preddy

chiccoride015.jpg

From there it was out into the rural lands. I love riding these twisty gravel roads that find here, BUT for all the traffic, perdestrians, cows, goats, taxis, buses, trucks and cow shit  ;D Otherwise they are great to ride. Always changing, going round corners, up down......no open flat stages  :thumleft:

Chicco stop at the little dam and pointed out some lekker cattle tracks over the hill. Myself,chicco, phillip went up and over the hill. The rest stayed on the gravel and meet us on the other side.

chiccoride016.jpg

good fun to ride

chiccoride017.jpg

view from the top

chiccoride020.jpg

the busy road we had just turn off

chiccoride023.jpg

Then it was more gravel roads, now it was becoming more rural, no cars or trucks. We were get closer to the UMfolozi Game park fence whic was out distination. chicco works for a mine in this area and know these parts very well. He took us gravel main gravel roads on to small tracks, along foot paths, up cattle tracks and all over the hills. I know that the renegade ride will be fun. Diffirent riding everyday. All of it do able with challenging sections if you want.

Stop at an old kraal for another couple of pics

chiccoride024.jpg

Check the hand

chiccoride025.jpg

chiccoride033.jpg

The mothership fuel bouser eater of gravel highways  :biggrin:

chiccoride034.jpg

:drif:

chiccoride035.jpg

A new rider on his new bike that is the old bike of the other rider who is also riding his new bike.

chiccoride038.jpg

which then fell over while parked and had to be picked up by both the new and old riders

chiccoride040.jpg

and this was all going on while we chilled under a tree.

chiccoride039.jpg

At another rest stop some of the local kids gave us a song and dance. And all the rides here in KZN, every where I have riden the local wave, if you stop they come say or gather around a look see.

chiccoride042.jpg

below where are standing is the Umfolozi game reserve, just a fence seperates us from some wild riding areas, ok and the lions and other dangerouse creatures that like meals on wheels stop us too  :mwink:

chiccoride044.jpg

chiccoride045.jpg

another group photo

chiccoride046.jpg

the only riding pics

chiccoride057.jpg

chiccoride058.jpg