Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 8 days in the Aussie outback...  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Leon H

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
8 days in the Aussie outback...
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 03:23:31 am »
Quote from: "macduff"
no crocs in that creek where AC and Kush live?

There's a healthy population of freshwater crocodiles there, but they are smaller and less aggressive than the estuarine crocodile, so I wouldn't be too worried about swimming in that particular creek...

...not many other places in NQ I would swim though - those estuarine crocs (the huge angry ones) can really wreck your day... :)
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline Leon H

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 07:43:17 am »
Day 7:  Lawn Hill Gorge to Richmond ? 634km

After spending most of the previous night being very worried that I would be too ill to make it down the very tough road to Gregory Downs, I actually woke up very refreshed, and determined to make a good go of it.  AC had mentioned that if I was still crook he would trailer the bikes the 100km or so to Gregory past the worst of it, and I could ride from there.  Both Mel and I were not keen on that though, as it would seem very much like quitting.  In order to try and beat the heat, we set out at the crack of dawn though the gorge and out of the park.

We saw on the news that a cool change was coming through, which was great as it was a lot cooler, but it was also very, very windy with 30+ knot winds and a strong wind warning, unfortunately this was a head wind for us, which continued the whole 1100km or so home and dented our fuel consumption figures.  Still we felt great as we left the dawn shade of the gorge, and broke through the Constance Range on our way out of the park and onto the flat rocky country.

We cruised without incident through the tracks up to the mine turnoff, and reached the very crappy 20cm deep gravel for 50km section for a quick break.  By now the sun had picked up and so had the wind, we drank a little water and chatted about the upcoming stretch.

The wind played havoc with our photos, check out the dust cloud, and Melissa?s hair!  It blew up moments before pressing the shutter button!

The wind on this section was insane.  The whole place was a choking dust cloud for 50km.  But remarkably, the riding was totally easy this time!  Don?t know what it was, whether we had gotten that bit better at riding, if we had built it up to be worse than it actually was, or if the angle of the early morning sun made it easier to pick a line, but it was heaps easier.  We cruised on very much without incident, arriving at Gregory unscathed about 2 hours after setting off from the gorge.  As we stopped on the bridge at the Gregory River for pats on the back, two huge trucks came rumbling by on their way out to the mine ? talk about lucky timing.

Tried to take a triumphant photo at Gregory Downs as we fuelled up, but the bloody wind and dust got in my eyes again! ? makes for a funny photo though?

We had planned for breakfast at Gregory, but were both so pumped up after the dirt section we decided to press on to Burke and Wills roadhouse, to get all the backtracking out of the way in one hit.  The road was flat and boring, and we had already done it once, plus the headwind was fierce, but we were looking forward to a fed at our next stop, before pressing on into new country on our way home.

Between Gregory and B & W

Out here the best spot for an airstrip is often the road.

We arrived at B & W pretty early and had a feed, a sports drink and a sit down after fuelling up the bikes.

I noticed a camel and thought it would be very clever to take some photos of it and the BMW and make some sort of lame ?ships of the desert? analogy for you guys?

And of course the feral thing tried to chew my bike.  I clipped it over the head, and noticed it had a bolt coming out of its nose.  Now that was just weird?

From there we headed south east along the crappy single lane bitumen.  Here we left the fairly diverse and interesting gulf savanna and entered the northern downs, which is a flat, bland, windy boring area of amazing desolation and monotony.  On the 250km to Julia Creek the only shade to even stop was a place about halfway along called Sedan Dip Racecourse, which is an old bush racetrack.  It was pretty cool really to think that thousands of people still flock here each year to the middle of the outback for a dressed up day at the races.

A few photos of the facilities ? not like a flash big city track that?s for sure!

Treeless, flat and unimaginably boring would be the best way to describe the road from here to Richmond, our final destination for the day.

I really like this photo, really sums the whole section of the trip up.

It?s a funny old place as it is so homogenous, it feels like you haven?t traveled anywhere, yet you?ve done hundreds of kilometres.  You feel like you could do another 500km, yet you are totally exhausted.  Mucks with your head?

We decided to stop at Richmond and stay at the flashest hotel in the west, the Ammonite Inn, and spoil ourselves on our last night away with a bit of luxury.  And man it was a treat.  We stepped out of the air con briefly to have a look around town.  Most stuff was closed but they did have a dinosaur display (lots of fossils here too ? was a big inland sea hence the boring scenery), for some moronic posing.

Had a junky feed of fish and chips and went to bed with that funny feeling of looking forward to getting home, but also feeling a bit down the adventure was coming to a close.  Didn?t sleep too good actually I had a lot on my mind.

Only one day left until our triumphant return to Townsville.

Leon
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline Leon H

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 07:59:05 am »
Day 8:  Richmond to home ? 500km

Got out of bed late, and ate a fatty breakfast of bacon and eggs, jumped on the bikes and began to ride though more of the same flat downs country.

The flat country was dull, and the headwind was pissing me off, but it did give me lots of time to think and reflect on the ride that was, and think all of those thoughts you think when you are doing a last transit stage of a long adventure.  Most of all I was so impressed with Mel ? she is one tough arse lady and constantly blew me away with her stamina, confidence and natural skill on a motorcycle ? I married the right girl for sure.  I also thought it kind of sad as our riding days were coming to a close together, as 2007 we are going to try and start a family, but glad we had had so many adventures on bikes over the past 8 years.  I also decided to by a big fancy dual cab 4x4 ute for more outback adventures when family time rolls around.  Basically over the next few hundred kilometres I worked out all my stuff, solved the problems and was feeling pretty good about the world.

We stopped on top of the Great Dividing Range, about 250km south west of Townsville for a leg stretch and a bit of a break.

About 110km west of Charters Towers near Pentland, I spied a sign and had to pull over for a photo.  Glitch, this is especially for you and the CT110 postie bike crew!  Why do I have a feeling this sign will go missing after the Cape York postie bike tour?

Stopped briefly at Pentland, about 230km away from home for a coffee, and to try out what may be my next adventure bike.  Pretty sweet ride man!

The rest of the trip back was pretty much straight through familiar country I ride through quite often, stopping occasionally for the odd piss break.  Eventually the ranges behind Townsville came into view ? we were nearly home.

One last photo of Mel and the 500.  I can?t say enough good things about the way she rode on that trip.  2424km of challenging riding in tough conditions many hours away from help and civilisation, and she handled it like a trip to the shops.

Back into town, a bit of culture shock with the traffic and so on.  Nothing can top the feeling when you turn into your own street after a long trip away, hard to describe that feeling, will just show it in a photo.

We had done it.  Home at last, what a ride, tough conditions, exciting new places, great adventure?

??and my moustache was finally starting to come good!

Thank you everyone for reading, that?s all from me, I hope you enjoyed ? I sure enjoyed sharing it with you.

Leon

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 08:15:52 am »
great stuff leon, and yes, you can feel proud of your missus.....  :thumbright:  :thumbright:  :thumbright:

great report/pics - thanks  :)  :)  :)  :)

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 08:32:43 am »
Great one Leon, thanx for sharing.  Next ride SA????  :wink:

H

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 08:58:10 am »
Wow report Leon.

Thumbs up to you and Mel for riding in that heat. :P

Must say that those monster truck is a nightmare in the waiting. Luck we dont have that here. phew!!!! :shock:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 08:59:26 am »
one heck of a report leon!! love it!! congrats to mel for the way in which she made the adventure  :salute:

shark_za

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 09:50:29 am »
Nice moustache, nice buff's and nice trip!
Way to go Mel and the Kawa.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 09:53:09 am »
What a great trip report Leon, one of the best I have read. Thanks for all the effort

8)
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Stephan

• bwk
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 09:56:42 am »
Great trip Leon, thanks for sharing.
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Kev

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 01:29:53 pm »
Mel:  :notworthy:
Leon: Fantastic!! :thumbup:

Did you get the bolt back from that camel? He obviously snorted it off your bike!  :D

Offline Dorje

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 03:34:25 pm »
hey Leon, enjoyed that one  :thumbright:

its all been said, but i really dig reports that get elemental - sun . . . dust . . . rocks . . . water . . . and honesty :headbang:

i know you are saving the 'wine' pics for last . . .  :D
ildly adventurous ...

Offline Leo

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 04:58:06 pm »
Quote from: "Dorje"

Yes great report. All that's missing is the above  :D  :D
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline X Banana Boy

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 05:13:09 pm »
You 2 are awesome.   :notworthy:  to you Mel.  Leon, you going to get the Mrs some riding pants?? :lol:

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 06:51:54 pm »
as all the others above said mate, greaaat report. super stuff, Mel does you proud indeed, on a grand scale.

Whoohoo!!!!  :glasses7:  :headbang:  :hello1:  :headbang:  :glasses7:

and yes, we can see where the bmw designers got their aesthetics from... thanks for posting the missing link  :D  :D  :D

Offline Leon H

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2006, 07:10:21 am »
Quote from: "Leo"
Quote from: "Dorje"

Yes great report. All that's missing is the above  :D  :D

I actually don't have any photos from the wine incident or the whole following day.  When I got back from Riversleigh I must have put my camera in my pannier and Mel and AC couldn't find it to take shots of me spweing and passing out, which is a shame really... :oops:

What I did find is two drunk idiots drinking beer in Lawn Hill Creek though - note the red eyes!

Just got an email from AC that said "I read your little log online???.. I?m gunna end up with motorbike nuts ringing me next year wanting to stay at our house!"

Cheers

Leon

Offline bud500

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2006, 03:59:49 pm »
Talk about Big Sky Country!!

Great report Leon and great riding, both of you.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Jaqhama

• Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2006, 06:03:20 pm »
Great report Leon mate.

Mel...you're a legend. :thumbright:

And that 500 Kawa's a nice looking bike 'an all.

Cheers: Jaq  :whax: Hama.
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2006, 08:17:47 am »
Inspiring report this Leon! Great stuff and well done to both of you.
He who angers you, controls you.