Flower trip over the long weekend (7-10 August 2009)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowJo

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
This would be our first pillion trip that included dirt roads.

The route was to go up the West Coast via the rail roads up to Doringbaai (Strandfontein) on Friday and to sleep in a tent on our friend’s lawn. Next day we would do an inland loop, and head back to Cape Town on Sunday. Joyride and family followed, but in their 4x4s, to many to load onto the bikes you see .....

Friday afternoon close to Doringbaai.....

001WestCoastSunset.jpg

On Saterday, we would do a loop via Niewoudville, Loeriesfontein and back via Bitterfontein. We went inland via Lutzville, Vredendal, VanRhynsdorp to Niewoudville. I have never been on this road, so did not know what to expect. At Vanrhynspas I just had to stop, drop the pillion and charge down and up the pass again ….. yeeehaaa. …  :ricky:

VanRhynspass .....

002VanRhynspass.jpg

At Niewoudville we saw some spectacular spots of flowers, but not the wide expanses of flowers that we were expecting, maybe we were a little early this year ….

004Flowers1.jpg

005Flowers2.jpg

006Church.jpg

007Flowers3.jpg

From there we went North to Loeriesfontein. ......

008Loeriesfontein.jpg

We then turned back West via Kliprand, Bitterfontein, Nuwerus(N7) back via Lutzville to Doringbaai for the second night.

008Water.jpg

I am sure this is the same watercrossing that GO Girl (and the RAW guys) did the same weekend (see link) https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=36149.40

009Flowers4.jpg

010Straight.jpg

Next Morning we went to see how strong the West Coast people really are ….

011Strong.jpg

Eventually we would return to Cape Town along the West Coast rail roads on Sunday.

The trip worked out to be about 1000kms and it was good to get a bit of gravel under the tyres again ........  It was fun, but with the pillion, I missed the carelessness of throwing the bike around at will ......

Note to self, how do I get my wife to get here own bike  ???