Rush-hour filtering: extreme sport?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Don't you agree that filtering through traffic on a South African highway during rush-hour should be considered an Extreme Sport? On par with, say, glacier climbing, wingsuit flying, big wave surfing or off-piste snowboarding?

It sure provides the same thrills!

The N2 out of Cape Town is a good place to practice this sport. Roadworks have narrowed a large part of it to barely-two lanes, meaning that a small slip of judgement could land you between a bus and 2 speeding Quantums. This is where you find out exactly (to the millimeter) how wide your bike is. And how tight your sphincter :eek:

This fantastic course has everything - even enthusiastic spectators. Most book their seats on the back of Hyundai bakkies (although it seems the organizers like to over-book), but some even line the side of the road for a closer look. Hell, there are even some streakers! Hang on, no, those guys aren't streaking - they're busy with their own extreme sport: dodging highway traffic to get to the other side of the road. In the dark. Looks like our disciplines overlap: he's an obstacle for me, and vice versa.

Quick-quick, slow-slow, balance-balance. I'm working up a sweat here (no, really!). Clutch-clutch. Damn, this bike needs an auto-shift mode. Hm, I wonder if IR Sinclair is watching... I could ride in the construction zone...

Concentrate. Focus. Is that gap opening up... yiiieeeeaaah, here we go!
3rd gear: result!  :ricky: