Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rush-hour filtering: extreme sport?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline growweblaar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
Re: Rush-hour filtering: extreme sport?
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 04:14:16 pm »
I "met" this fellow the other day that was walking in between the lanes towards town (CPT CBD) on the outbound N2 just before the Woodstock turnoff in rush hour.

I told him to get the @#$% off the highway which was met by an ignore and he kept on his merry way. WTF?!

So now we have to look out for pedestrians lane splitting too?!

:o

Now that is extreme!

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 04:19:12 pm »
Road rules are more of a guideline it seems.....

But that guy was something new, have to give him +1 for originality.... When I lane split it seems I always have to move over for scooter riders going 100kph wearing a piss pot helmet 'wiff' their slip-slops as protection.

Now those guys and girls are real bikers. None of this ATGATT nonsense we pussies use. Skin grafts are FUN!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:20:00 pm by Grrrr.... »

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 04:19:54 pm »
There were lots of them across the N1 at Century City. Seems to be sorted after our regular sessions there.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 04:21:53 pm »
There were lots of them across the N1 at Century City. Seems to be sorted after our regular sessions there.

Read about the 'protest'. Glad it worked but tell me, did they walk across the highway or like Mr. Legend himself between the lanes all the way to town. Against traffic no less!

Surprised I'm the only person who saw him.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:22:38 pm by Grrrr.... »

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 04:27:13 pm »
They crossed 8 lanes of highway. Inbound in the morning we would encounter them while splitting slowly, in the afternoon they would dodge 100+km/h traffic  :o
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline umshiniwam

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 04:30:20 pm »
I almost hit a pedestrian the other day on Marlboro. The traffic was standing dead-still and this idiot was walking across the road between cars while typing an SMS on his mobile phone. Hea appeared before me from in front of a truck nogal. How the f*ck I managed to actually not hit him is beyond me.

The funniest was that he had some kind of "man bag" slung across his arm. I knocked the thing so hard that it was spinning like a hula hoop around his shoulder.

Offline Tintin

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 04:30:37 pm »
I also had a Pedestrian incident here on the N3 in Gauteng. A real neaderthal !! I blew the horn so the idiot just steps back infront of a car....
Car hit the anchors, neaderthal oblivious to it all. Also totally blazey and didn't seem to hear the expleatives I was hurling !! ???

Anyways. I commute every day of the working year (rain, sun and cold), but you guys commuting on your BM adventures with panniers amaze me. True optomists. I do it on a Honda 250, and that is sometimes a bit tight. (esp with the road works = V narrow lanes)

Was once behind a guy on a BM1200GS with panniers - very clearly new to biking. He was wearing work pants and work shoes, not evena  jacket! He nearly lost it 3 times, I could have sworn that he was gonna bin it, so I made another plan before I ended up in his incident.

Worst that has happened to me so far in 3 years commuting was an Audi drove over my toes when I was stood still, the traffic was stopped and he was creeping - I should have spotted him. Fortunately the right gear saw to it that there was no damage to the toes. I count myself lucky. Just hope there is no big incident in my future. I've already had my BIG spill...
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer,
My grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye
A dream unthreatened by the morning light Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit. I

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 04:40:21 pm »
LOL, here I will be first to say Beemer riders are the worst culprits! Why would you lane split with two panniers on?!

I'm not talking about a trip I'm talking day to day commute. If you have to log things around get a topbox. Those shinny panniers are just going to make your life more difficult.

And I swear, even though I have a bike if you scratch my cage with those 'blerrie' things trying to squeeze past I will 'moer you's wiff' a bat my oke!  ;)

I'm originally from Kempton Park.... be warned!   :P

Offline Marnus

• Race Dog
  • Yeeeeehaaaa!
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 07:46:56 pm »
+1 on the pedestrians, but the plot thickens....

How about at nearly every intersection there are at least two old people that cannot find work, one limping on a crutch, another with a new born in a towel on her back shaking a blikbeker, an alarm company handing out flyers with their cars blocking the vision of some motorists at some street corner, some kids going on rugby tour, at least 2 newspaper guys, a battalion of informal businessmen selling everything from car chargers, inflatable globes and clothes hangers, and a groom-to-be in a bra and panty.

I tell you... intersections are the worst...

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »
Gawd! Marnus that reminded me of a close one I had, two in fact.

With the fracking UCT students selling that 'Rag' magazine. Some 'poppie' just stepped out from the front of a car trying to sell one to a bunch of guys wearing just a bikini. I would have 'stamped' that girl straight out of her clothes!

Also, got the 'moer' in with Soli Philander selling Big Issue's one morning at the convention centre intersection. He was going on like his usual self and with him was a bunch of people who thought it was a big joke running in between the cars. Also nearly took one of them out. Some of them was so 'verskrik' they just stood there frozen when the traffic started moving!!

Guys who sell stuff on corners for a living tend to keep one eye open but not these clowns who think it's a 'moerse' party in between the cars. Until we hit one of them....

Then you will see those soccer moms from Newlands perform!  >:(

LOL, apologies.... didn't want to rant. But I do feel better!  :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:59:35 pm by Grrrr.... »

Offline Scribble

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 09:52:30 pm »
Growweblaar that N2 out of CT is a bliksem, rather you than me as, other than the N1, you also have the taxis to contend with.

One can learn to live with the traffic on the N1 but if you don't keep your hand in with regular trips, you have to start all over again before you get smooth again. When taxis get thrown into the mix...it really becomes an xtreme sport.
ok I was wondering in my six month or so absence if I was just slower or If the drivers had become worse assuming that that is at all possible
 now I just need to get riding again its intimidating though
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Moondog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 11:00:25 pm »
+1 on the pedestrians, but the plot thickens....

How about at nearly every intersection there are at least two old people that cannot find work, one limping on a crutch, another with a new born in a towel on her back shaking a blikbeker, an alarm company handing out flyers with their cars blocking the vision of some motorists at some street corner, some kids going on rugby tour, at least 2 newspaper guys, a battalion of informal businessmen selling everything from car chargers, inflatable globes and clothes hangers, and a groom-to-be in a bra and panty.

I tell you... intersections are the worst...

+1 - and a Hijacker and 3 Smash-n-Grab artists (they are the one's doing pedestrian lane splitting)

Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline Gulp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 07:16:25 am »
1200GS with side panniers lane splitting are nothing!
the other day M3 out - a "tak-tak" pulls up behind while i am "white lining" it - WTF!! ???
I know i go slow but this is an insult.
Pull over and let him go in front, followed him right the way to Paridise Circle on the whit Line! before he turned off! :thumleft:
Planning on living forever! So far so good!

Offline growweblaar

• Race Dog
  • Somerset West
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2009, 09:44:16 am »
the other day M3 out - a "tak-tak" pulls up behind while i am "white lining" it - WTF!! ???
Pull over and let him go in front, followed him right the way to Paridise Circle on the whit Line! before he turned off! :thumleft:

Are you serious!? You mean one of these?:

Offline Gulp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 09:48:16 am »
Yip! just like that! but with a "delivery box on the back" [like the old butches used to use].....
Planning on living forever! So far so good!

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2009, 09:50:29 am »
baffelless akro's on the 990 help with splitting ALLOT!
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Grrrr....

• Grey hound
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2009, 10:14:32 am »

WHAT???!!!  :o

Well, on the N2 incoming in the mornings the highway used to become a 5 lane highway because the frieken taxi's used to lane split.... Don't know if it is any better these days.

Thank goodness I don't do the daily Stellenbosch to Cpt commute anymore. And that was before I had a bike.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2009, 03:36:50 pm »
Well written GBlaar.

Like the part of the overlaping sports.

PS: Imagine the joys of a taxi driver.

Ja, yesterday at a red light this one taxi driver indicated to me that he wanted to swap vehicles.  I told to hop on as pillion - we both had a good laugh, took edge of the driving/riding for a bit.

Offline growweblaar

• Race Dog
  • Somerset West
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2009, 04:17:25 pm »
Ja, yesterday at a red light this one taxi driver indicated to me that he wanted to swap vehicles.  I told to hop on as pillion - we both had a good laugh, took edge of the driving/riding for a bit.

I dig the okes on the back of a bakkie :D. It's almost like they're so glad to see you - it must get pretty boring sitting staring at the same car behind you for hours. And then this crazy dude on a big bike comes along and provides a bit of entertainment. I bet they secretly want to see you take a dive!

Offline Mother

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
  • ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2009, 05:10:24 pm »
mmm worst drivers on my travels... . :biggrin: has to be in the neighboring countries....try riding a bike in gaborone...then my worst recently was northern namibia passing through oshakati trying to get to the kunene....they got no idea about 2 wheels ...maybe they come so close to u to get a better view...and flashing lights they got no idea that :biggrin: front light of the bike must be on.....riding through one of those towns at peak time is friggin extreme sport!!!
mother ....only half a word ;-)