Exodus from Gauteng

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
An easy Sunday ride attracted the attention of more than forty riders. Blazes is his normal calm manner got the day going with a short briefing, a big smile and off he went. No time to mess around. We had 200km of dirt to cover.

Getting out of Pretoria East without someone going missing is a marvel. Almost immediately onto back roads through smallholdings. Have become used to the ensuing chaos. Ride or get left in dust. Reminds me how intimidated I was on my first group ride. It does set the scene for the remainder of the day. With a smile I made my way to the front group to enjoy the chase. Blazes is not on a mission, he is the mission. He just gets going. At turns we waited to regroup. Some time to relax, not for long. If Blazes puts his helmet on, he is gone in a blink. Practically it is the only way to keep the day on track. Becomes a little challenge for smokers and anyone brave enough to enter into a long conversation.

I was riding a new bike, a KTM 690 Enduro. Seems to be the right bike at the right time for me. Nearly did not buy another dual sport bike. Stupid thought. It is just so much fun. No pressure, easy terrain and relatively comfortable. What a way to spend a Sunday morning. Some added ingredient makes everything fall into place.

(An aside: Did over 20 000km last year and most of it this kind of riding. Must be addictive if not just highly pleasurable. I had never been on a dual sport bike and dreaded riding except for maybe some sand riding in Botswana. Most of my riding had an element of Blazes’ input. To analyse my riding strategy, it seems saddle time has been my big payoff. Almost every weekend I rode and guess who was organising most of them. I salute and bow with thanks for adding so much enjoyment to my life. Dirt bike riding is unfortunately the penalty one pays for this addiction. Learning to deal with it.)

New routes are always found and this Sunday was no exception. Makes for some exciting corners and keeps one alert. Have learnt not to race. Will eventually come off second best but there is nothing stopping one from going at one’s limit of comfort. Over time Blazes’ waits for me have almost diminished to nothing. Just brilliant to pull up behind him just as he has gotten off his bike. You know you have been going fast. Also comforting to be able to relax in the knowledge that you will not be putting yourself unnecessarily in danger. As always, if pictures are being taken, best to slow down otherwise you will make it onto a post.

We went in the direction of Rayton, our drinks’ stop. The roads were in excellent condition with most freshly graded. Flat out was the order of the day for me. Conditions excellent. Dust was a problem but keeping a little distance from the bike in front was not difficult.  

Satisfying to be able to ride in a group. Gives you time to watch other people, look at their bikes and enjoy their company. Friends are made and best of all old friends are met again. Feels like a big family reunion. Remarkable and admirable how many women riders have taken up the sport. And not as pillions, no way. Riding their own bikes and not surprisingly some of them even using bikes to commute to work. Guess where they where riding – no not at the back, right with the front group. These women are tough. I would not mess with any of them.

Unfortunately I did my thing again. No, not fall over. A puncture. A huge nail ripped my rear tube. Guess who changed my tyre? Okay, I did help. Unfortunately, not again, it had a slow leak so guess who after the ride changed my tube again? Okay, I did help again. Blazes just gets in and sorts things out, hassle free. Okay, Blazes, for this paean of praise you owe me big time. And readers, my advice to you is go on one of his trips, you will ride hard yet will always be looked after.

Till the next time, ride safely.