Flower Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Stripes

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Voxan (all models)
I read a ride report of Bus recently and decided I have to look into my own area with another eye. I could not think of a better companion than my comrade in arms, Tok-tokkie. So on Sunday, just after 9, he pulled in and we had our coffee, a piece of toast and were on our way. Unfortunately the sun did not play along at first, so we took the time to spend time to attend to other important business.

We paid a visit to Salma, our baby Black Eagle. Tok-tokkie is a devoted fan of the parents and has a special bond with our magnificent pair. Like the good actress she is, she played dead.

Salma

Selma1.jpg

After that we left for Saldanha. Our plan was to go from Saldanha to Jacobsbaai, then to Trekoskraal, Tietiesbaai, Paternoster and finally to Britannia Baai. Our aim was to go as close as possible to the sea. We wanted to see if we can go all the way, even if we had to beg for the right to cross certain portions. We committed ourselves to the law, with the right to our own interpretation thereof. We also don’t want to disturb nature.

Our first view of the sea at Tabakbaai.

Flowerp1.jpg

There were a lot of small roads and we were spoiled for choice. I showed Tok-tokkie all my dive spots and we decided to test them out as soon as the season opens again.

Flowerp2.jpg

Flowerp3.jpg

Flowerp4.jpg

We paid out dues to Jacobsbaai’s latest tourist attraction and had a beer in one of the local restaurants.

Flowerp5.jpg

After that we left we looked for the road to Trekos. We knew that there were none, this the first challenge of the day. We met a very friendly farmer with a very sour face who basically told us to fark off. We have to go to Vredenburg and then back to the sea. We consulted a local who told us there is a way, but he does not know where. So we consulted the friendly people of Mapsource. Apparently there is highway available. That suited us and we followed the road. Very nice road, I must say. There was a little voice in the back of my head, but I just opened the throttle.

At one point we came to this interesting road.

Flowerp8.jpg

The only problem was that we were there.

Flowerp6.jpg

So we consulted Mapsource again and told them about the locked gate. They told us to make a plan.

Flowerp9.jpg

The reward was fabulous.

Flowerp10.jpg

Flowerp7.jpg

From there is was a nice, challenging track to Trekos with sand, high dunes, but generally extremely nice.

Flowerp14.jpg

Flowerp15.jpg

All of a sudden the suburbs of Trekos appeared on the scene.

Flowerp16.jpg

Like the West Coast people say, die see is befok.

Flowerp17.jpg

Flowerp18.jpg

Nice trails.

Flowerp19.jpg

Beautiful flowers all over the place.

Flowerp20.jpg

Flowerp22.jpg

Flowerp24.jpg

Flowerp23.jpg

Flower21.jpg

From Trekos we had to find a way to Tietiesbaai. From what I heard, there is not a way. At times it was more than difficult.

Flowerp21.jpg

There were very nice patches also.

Flowerp11.jpg

Flowerp12.jpg

Got stuck more than once.

Flowerp13.jpg

At times it seemed like there is no way forward. At this point  we exhausted from pushing, pulling, dragging and goose walking our bikes.

In the end we decided that we will have to turn inland or risk damaging the vegetation and also stand the chance of getting totally stuck.

So we turned inland, over a farmer’s land. I was very uneasy, have the stupid doos at Jacobsbaai in mind. Luckily everything went well and we found our way to the main road and Paternoster. At the entrance to Tietiesbaai we were told that bikes are not allowed. We very lucky to persuade the guy to let us through. Apparently he is also a biker.

Die Tiet van Tietiesbaai.

Flowerp26.jpg

Tok-tokkie at Colombine.

Flowerp27.jpg

At Paternoster we had to stop to pay our dues.

Flowerp28.jpg

Everybody knows this bar.

Flowerp29.jpg

From there on we followed the road to Britannia Baai.

Flowerp30.jpg

Got lost once or twice, but finally made it.

Flowerp31.jpg

We really had great fun and enjoyed even the very taxing stretches. There is no way from Trekos to Tietiesbaai, according to the locals in the pub at Paternoster. Apparently there is a small private development in between Tietiesbaai and Trekos and the people don’t allow any access to the area.

Now that we know that, we can set or sights on the next challenge.