Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: a real adventure. attention; mountains and rivers ahead...  (Read 3234 times)

Offline william wallace

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • life uncensored
a real adventure. attention; mountains and rivers ahead...
« on: September 01, 2009, 12:16:47 am »
There was not a lot of planning put into this trip. There was only three guys and three bikes. The farmer from the Karoo, the farmer near Upington and a student in Bloemfontein.
Different okes with the same need to break away from their surrounding areas, responsibilities and problems. With a need to leave behind the everyday life and seek something new. To explore the unknown. To live life wild.
They decided to link up and join forces. The only goal, to have a great time. No definite routes, nor places to go through or stay. The setting sun would be their guide and would take the decision on where to stay for the night. There was the common feeling to go through the Cederberge. The rest was to fall in place as the bikes were kicking up dust or when the stars were smiling down on them....

To follow; the story told by the three guys themselves.
impulsive acts seldom dissapoint.....

Offline Doggone

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
Re: a real adventure. attention; mountains and rivers ahead...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 03:19:01 am »
I love the carefree philosophy. Can't wait for the RR ;D
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline fat b

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:55:32 pm »
I'm waiting !! :drif:

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 12:57:49 pm »
tick tock tick tock tick tock ...............................
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline Sir Rat

• So it begins.
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Sir Sir Sir
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:40:39 pm »
Nou wat nou. Ons wag :deal:

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 03:42:31 pm »

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:49:41 pm »
 :biggrin:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 06:10:55 pm »
Ye ye , here it comes.

For those who don't know, I am the student in this story. And I was authorized to get the RR on a roll. This must be done between classes, tests, assignments and other student related stuff you know. Tall order. But bare with me, it's gonna be worth it.

Like the intro said, we decided to this trip, no matter what. I re-arranged and shuffled my program a bit. That included some explanations to lecturers. (The explanations did not mentioned anything about a biketrip....doing it for the dream hey?)

Anyhow, everything was settled and me, Ysterklip and Rooisand was totally psyched and charged up. Rooisand (Grobbelershoop) and I still had to get to Yster's farm, Tiervlei, near Carnarvon. Both of us hit the road on the 24th of August. The trip was to start the following morning.

I did a few unknown roads to Tiervlei. Going through Fauresmith, past Vanderkloofdam to Strydenburg. From there I had to ride according to hand drawn maps of farmers to reach Britstown. But it took me through the collest terrain and I was criss crossing through a lot of the farms. Just awesome.

Here is some of the scenes of my ride to Tiervlei

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:12:23 pm by william wallace »

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 06:14:03 pm »
mmmm...now I also got some problems with technology....lets try that again....

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 06:23:08 pm »
aha, its rolling.
that was on the way to Fauresmith. The last one was taken on the bridge over the Riet river just outside the town.

It is a very nice little town. Beautifull with the friendliest people. A ate the best breakfast of my life at the Phoenix retaurant. Make sure to stop there if you ever pass by.
Made some bike talk with the locals, espescially with Corrie. He himself rides a Transalp and KLR. Very cool guy.

Then went to Vanderkloofdam

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 06:36:46 pm »
At strydenburg I talked to oom Johan who explained to me how to reach Potfontein. It is an old trainstation that is no longer in use. From ther he said it would be easy to reach Britstown. But at Potfontein I met oom Peter Ferreira, an English Karoo-boer. He insisted on talking Afrikaans.
"Ek boer dan in Afrikaans. 'n Ooi is 'n ooi en 'n hammel 'n hammel," he said.
He asked me if I would like to ride some backtracks through the farms. Of course yes!!
His hand drawn map then took me to Britstown via the greatest dirttracks

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 06:55:28 pm »
Okay, I reached Tiervlei that night where Rooisand and Ysterklip were fully loaded and waiting for me. Adri treated us on some of her delicious recipies. At this stage we still did not have any definite plans for the tour. We would head to the Cederberge and would be led by circumstances and our feeling in the moment.
For the next day we decided to try and get as close as we can to Oppie berg. That was the plan..... :mwink:

Next morning we left Tiervlei packed and with great enthusiasm. We were looking forward to this week long spir of the moment trip.
Our first stop was Fraserburg from where we went to Sutherland via the Rante-road. This road is just outside Fraserburg on the way to Sutherland, turning left. Amazing stretch of dirt. Unbelievable scenery and quite an off-road experience.

It was also on this road, about halfway to Sutherland where Rooisand had his little tumble..... :pot:

But let me first introduce the members to you;

first up Rooisand. Then Ysterklip and then William Wallace, thats me. Remember this pics were taken on the end of the trip. Thats why the okes looks a bit sad and their bitches so cool, covered in a thick lay of dust

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:57:45 pm »
so....we were off....

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 07:05:40 pm »
Here on the Rante-road we had a few snacks when some guys on a perdekar came by. The horses absolutely refused to go pass the bikes. They gave a snort of anxiousness and made a terrifying u-turn while the guys on the car had to cling for dear life. Bikes can be intimidating you know...

Offline eikeboom

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 07:20:38 pm »
This is real good - gonna get better still ... :thumleft:
Let's go into the mountains...there's likely to be peace and quiet

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 07:33:05 pm »
That road is everything an adventure biker can asked for. Its tuff to ride because of all the twists and turns and rocks and ditches. But it is very very scenic around there. You go through and over mountains the whole time and every now and then there is a rivercrossing to cool you down.

Halfway however one of those turns caught Rooisand with a nasty trick. There is some sinkplaat as you go into the turn. It turns to the right an down a deep descent. The left and the outside of the turn is full of loose gravel and little rocks. Rooisand took it wide and the sinkplaat and loose stuff made his bike drift to the side of the road where major bushes and loads of rocks were waiting, grinning as they saw him coming....But the man road through those man-high bushes and grinning rocks like a war tank. 50meters later he found the road again and decided to collapse there. The XT lost some of her cosmetics between the Kriedoring bushes and her front fork was bended but she gave a growl of victory when we pushed the start button. Rooisand's visor also took a big hit somewhere in the chaos and his saddlebags layed scattered. Not a pretty picture. But with the man himself okay and his bitch still wanting this trip badly we strapped everything together, straightend the handlebars and took the bike for a quick practise run. All well.

We then carried on, everyone now a bit more cautious and Rooisand a tat rattled.

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 07:38:58 pm »
Still on the Rante-road....where the wind at this stage became an invisible, howling, rock and rolling,  force from the side.

Just after Rooisand's motocros styling I almost took out a wandering sheep on a steep descent....adventure biking at int best

Offline Rooisand

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 07:43:25 pm »
Lekker William, gooi kole!!!!!

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 07:44:33 pm »
Remember that Rooisand now had to ride with an open face helmet, pimped by accident....
We decided to buy the man some new stylish goggles at the Sutherland Ko÷perasie to go with his BMW helmet. Beemer riders, watch out for this amazing product as Rooisand promoted it very well.
A beer was also something Rooisand needed, so we headed to the local hotel and had something to eat and drink there.

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 07:55:59 pm »
Lekker Rooies! Hoe lyk jy vir jouself my maat? Hahaha!

We rode 4hours on that Rante-road and realized that we won't make much more ground before it gets dark. But we were not tied to any strings or schedules and decided to go down Ouberg pass and sleep besides the Tankwa river.

Ouberg was, as usual, a magnificent experience. Its like the godfather of gravel passes. And with the setting sun on the distant horizon everything just had a amazing atmosphere. The gratefulness in our hearts that we are still doing this trip, the three of us together, also made the drop down Ouberg a special moment.