Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: a real adventure. attention; mountains and rivers ahead...  (Read 3231 times)

Offline william wallace

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • life uncensored
Re: a real adventure. attention; mountains and rivers ahead...
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 11:49:25 am »
love the photos...
thanks there stev0  :thumleft:
impulsive acts seldom dissapoint.....

Offline TerrorSA

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Autoland PE - William Moffett Exp
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2009, 11:58:10 am »
Can't wait to start my XT this weekend  :thumleft:

Thanx for sharing.
Truimph Tiger 800 XCX
Yamaha XT660R

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 11:59:03 am »
Right, lets continue for a while...

So, we had a great night's sleep and the plan for the next day was to ride to Wupperthal and then through the Biedouw valley and then to Nieuwoudtville. But the next morning Yster came up with a new idea. To ride to Lambertsbaai (Rooisand really wanted to check out the sea...) and then some gravelroads back to Clanwilliam. We first wanted to stay another night at the campingsite but later the day we decided to pack and head for Wupperthal.

The trip to Lambertsbaai and back was very nice and we suddenly felt as if we were on holiday.
In Lamberts we got ourselfs some of the best calamari and hake and chips. Really fresh from the sea you know.

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 11:59:57 am »
Can't wait to start my XT this weekend  :thumleft:

Thanx for sharing.

cool man, are you heading somewhere mr terror?

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2009, 12:04:37 pm »
From Lambertsbaai we rode alongside the coast for a while and then turned to go through the Witelskloof. Beautiful countryside with the smell of Rooibostea hanging around.

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2009, 12:08:33 pm »
WW you mentioned the Peerbooms pass before you get Katbakkies ............ it's also known as the Skitterykloof Pass  :thumleft:

Nice RR so far  :thumleft:

well oom foe-rie, why do you think would someone call it the skitterykloof? must have something to do with the pere or what?  ???

Here is an explanation I found about Skitterykloof Pas  ;)

"Skitterykloof pas se naam het glo twee verduidelikings – die een is dat die pad in die ou dae baie modderig was en die tweede dat dit so gevaarlik was dat reisigers geweldig bang hier af is en dan wel…julle kan maar self dink!"

Maybe a peer helped them to "skittery"  :laughing4:
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2009, 12:13:40 pm »
Back in Clanwiliam we packed up again and headed for Wupperthal. I was quite excited to see this little place somewhere in the middle of the Cederberge as we did an Afrikaans poem in highschool in which the place featured.
It's a poem of Boerneef and it goes like this;

die berggans het 'n veer laat val
van die hoogste krans van Wupperthal
my hart staan tuit al meer en meer
ek stuur vir jou die berggansveer
mits dese wil ek vir jou sę
hoe diep my liefde vir jou lę

Anyway, to actually see the place fascinated me.
From Clanwilliam you go up the mountain again with the Pakhuis pass. Lovely riding. But again there were major roadworks as they are busy tarring that road. It's a pitty. Adventure biking terrain is becoming endangered...

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2009, 12:16:08 pm »
WW you mentioned the Peerbooms pass before you get Katbakkies ............ it's also known as the Skitterykloof Pass  :thumleft:

Nice RR so far  :thumleft:

well oom foe-rie, why do you think would someone call it the skitterykloof? must have something to do with the pere or what?  ???

Here is an explanation I found about Skitterykloof Pas  ;)

"Skitterykloof pas se naam het glo twee verduidelikings – die een is dat die pad in die ou dae baie modderig was en die tweede dat dit so gevaarlik was dat reisigers geweldig bang hier af is en dan wel…julle kan maar self dink!"

Maybe a peer helped them to "skittery"  :laughing4:

die tweede verduideliking lyk na die meer logiese een....natuurlike reakises

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2009, 12:26:04 pm »
The road to Wupperthal was again adventurous stuff. Narrow and twisting through the mountains. Climbing and then dropping into deep valleys with a waiting rivercrossing. Wupperthal did not let me down. Unbelievable place. You can not excally think that people are living there. It feels so far from the outside world and sellular reception. When we rode into the town (merely a town....) the local guys were playing a bit of rugby. Everything seemed so calm there.
It became to late to look for a camping spot so we booked into one of the little guesthouses. R120 per person. Bargain.

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2009, 12:28:38 pm »
more of Wupperthal

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2009, 12:31:20 pm »
and more...

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2009, 12:36:25 pm »
a little more....

All the houses looks the same and there's this very narrow streets between them. Very interesting to take a ride through town. We called the place, little France. It could become a new honeymoon destination...

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2009, 12:41:44 pm »
The dominee, Freddy Hans, runs the place. You talk to him about anything and everything. If you want a bit of fuel he also can arrange that for you. Remember there's only "red petrol" as he call it. No unleaded. We took a few litres as we were not sure how long the stretch to Nieuwoudtville was going to be. It later became clear that it was a very wise decision....

Offline madmike999

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • www.studio88.co.za info@studio88.co.za
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2009, 12:44:52 pm »
 :happy1:

nice RR:hello2:
'82 R100 RS,  '98 Africa Twin,  Vespa 180 Rally

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2009, 12:48:45 pm »
We than rode a few kays back to where the Biedouw valley begins. There was a sign that the rode may be flooded between April and November. I thought it to be a great invitation...
The Biedouw valley was, for me, to best part of the trip. Its splendid in beauty. Has a lot of water. And the riding terrain was more messed up. The worse the road the better the riding  :mwink:

We had a breakie on one of the low water bridges and just took in the splendour of the place for a while

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2009, 01:09:42 pm »
Then the big surprise came..... :pot:

The Biedouw river was in full force. There was no other way to cross than with a teeny weeny rath. The thing looked quite incapable of taking over anything but itself maybe.
The two older members of the trip was also not very keen to try anything risky to cross the river. Rooisand went to the nearby farmhouse to hear what we could do while I went in to explore the rapid to see whether we could maybe cross there.
Rooisand came back with the bad news that the rath is the only way and that the farmer said he would not take the chance if he were us. The previous week two okes nearly drowned with the thing when they tride to take over a tyre for a vechile that was stranded on the other side.
The alternative was to go back a long way and then take another route to Nieuwoudtville.
Yster told Rooisand to get going so long because he knew that when I come out of the river I will know that we can not cross, I will be furious and disappointed and race the poor XT Dakar style back to where we must take the other route....he was not wrong.
Before we raced away Manus Hough, the farmer, came by and chatted for about a half an hour. Very nice guy. He told us that Simon Fourie (Bike SA) once came by with a group af bikers and that they also had a struggle to come through the river. The river was not strong and they could manage to go through with the little rath.

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2009, 01:27:52 pm »
All the way to Nieuwoudtville I was just trying to come over the fact that we could not cross the Biedouw and do the rest of that amazing track.
So frustrated I were that I put my bike down infront of a group of people at a cross in the road where they were chatting with Yster and Rooisand. I later found my MP3 still playing Bon Jovi between a few flowers...
The flowers were also a bit disappointing. Not much. But the locals say that it bloomed very early this year.

In Nieuwoudtville we had lunch at the Nedersetting and got our provisions for the night as we wanted to be somewhere in the boendoes for our last night of the trip. Packed with lekker sausage and meat and other delicious stuff and a big bag of wood on my bike we left to go and find a spot to set camp.
We took the gravel just outside Nieuwoudtville that goes through to Loeriesfontein as the Hantam river crosses it at some stage and we thought it to be a nice spot.
Lovely road with (again) very nice scenery.
We reached the drybed of the Hantam and went to the nearest farm to ask permission to camp in the river. Merwe van Wyk and his lovely wife was the friendly people we found. The said it was hay okay. It was an awesoe night. Best weather we could ask for. Made a big fire, ate like kings while the moon made circles above us. With our sleeping bags on the sand we tucked in.

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2009, 01:33:38 pm »
The next morning was fresh and cool with a bit of cloud hanging around. We took the gravel to Calvinia where the Vleisfees started the previous night.
We thought we will check out the hype there and then split up. Rooisand to Grobbelershoop and me and Ysterklip back to his farm.

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2009, 02:16:13 pm »
Calvinia was mad busy. Also a lot of bikers around.
We did not hang around very long and we were a bit depressed that our trip was now something we would only remember and tell to others (whether they want to hear it or not...)

Post trip depression is a sad sad thing.....

Outside Calvinia we said goodbye and Rooisand took a left to go home via Brandvlei and then Kenhardt. As he rode of and his Scorch pipe filled the air I realised how lucky the three of us were to be part of such an amazing experience. I know we did not travel Africa from top to bottom, but this week trip had so many great times and scenes. Something that others will never experience.

Ysterklip and I went of to Williston from where we went by gravel, for old time sakes, to Tiervlei.

Offline william wallace

• life uncensored
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2009, 02:18:00 pm »